Pro and Cons Of Auto & Manual Cars - Open Discussion

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
I still enjoy driving manual whenever I have the chance, sadly all the cars in my family and my siblings family garage are auto. Couldn't agree more that auto has its advantages in traffic jams. Then again, before driving with auto I used to endure the traffic jams with a manual car for a number of years on a daily basis. So no biggie for me hehe.

I do agree with SF that manual cars in malaysia nowadays are given less attention and 'forcing' people to opt for automatic if you want to enjoy the 'ultra' premiums. I suppose thats where the money is.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nowadays living in big cities like KL, most of the time just get auto with semi-auto/tiptronic mode for daily use, so at least can get back a bit more control if you need it. Unless your normal routes got no or minimal jams, then get manual.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Manual is to really enjoy the full driving experience of having the machine at your total control IF not stuck in traffic jams!
Advantage of auto is just to reduce the agony of stuck in jams and can do left foot braking like playing gokart.

Does that mean F1 drivers from the last 20yrs are not real drivers? :)
He means GTR35 drivers are not real drivers :rofl: Just kidding...

I still enjoy driving manual whenever I have the chance, sadly all the cars in my family and my siblings family garage are auto. Couldn't agree more that auto has its advantages in traffic jams. Then again, before driving with auto I used to endure the traffic jams with a manual car for a number of years on a daily basis. So no biggie for me hehe.

I do agree with SF that manual cars in malaysia nowadays are given less attention and 'forcing' people to opt for automatic if you want to enjoy the 'ultra' premiums. I suppose thats where the money is.
Yup, to me I think the highest spec should be the Vios Spec J. The Vios Spec J, to me actually deserves the TRD Specs instead of the G Spec Vios to be upgraded to TRD Model.

Spec J vios Manual, really not something to look down at.

Nowadays living in big cities like KL, most of the time just get auto with semi-auto/tiptronic mode for daily use, so at least can get back a bit more control if you need it. Unless your normal routes got no or minimal jams, then get manual.
When go Genting, Auto is the disadvantage already :rofl: but ya how often we go genting unless working there...

I'm also in a dilemma to get Auto or Manual since gonna be a daily car and working in KL...
:banghead:

Knowing the disadvantage of Auto, i dont want to go on Auto anymore...but then worry about the jam that Im going thru everyday...:bawling:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I dunno. R35.. real drivers? The car does most of the driving. The driver is just an accessory! :biggrin:

Personally I have mixed feelings about both autos and manuals.

FC? My car from auto to manual - my FC dropped with the manual. I can't beat auto for some reason. It's worth noting though that everything was setup to work with the auto, then the only thing changed was the manual GB.

Drivability? Sometime ago I remember seeing a Porsche that was clutchless but had a 6-speed manual. Or was it 5-speed? Either way it was clutchless. That's awesome man.

And these days autos aren't exactly slow. It's just those archaic 3-speed / 4-speed autos that really kill. Bloody long gear ratios and screaming RPMs when pushed. The newer cars have pretty awesome systems, except for CVT though. I've seen too many break when under pressure until it's no longer funny. That belt inside the GB is just too sensitive imho.

Being an auto driver for over 6 years (before that manual), switching from two hands on the steering to one hand is a little tricky. Whats more you can no longer hold your partners hand if driving manual :P

But one thing I do like about manuals is how controllable the car becomes regardless the circumstance. Autos were/are less controllable and rely heavily on the go-fast pedal and brakes.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
FC? My car from auto to manual - my FC dropped with the manual. I can't beat auto for some reason. It's worth noting though that everything was setup to work with the auto, then the only thing changed was the manual GB.
Auto keeps changing to high gear for fuel efficiency, manual you keep in low gear for power, but bad for FC....:rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I dunno. R35.. real drivers? The car does most of the driving. The driver is just an accessory! :biggrin:

Personally I have mixed feelings about both autos and manuals.

Drivability? Sometime ago I remember seeing a Porsche that was clutchless but had a 6-speed manual. Or was it 5-speed? Either way it was clutchless. That's awesome man.

And these days autos aren't exactly slow. It's just those archaic 3-speed / 4-speed autos that really kill. Bloody long gear ratios and screaming RPMs when pushed. The newer cars have pretty awesome systems, except for CVT though. I've seen too many break when under pressure until it's no longer funny. That belt inside the GB is just too sensitive imho.

Being an auto driver for over 6 years (before that manual), switching from two hands on the steering to one hand is a little tricky. Whats more you can no longer hold your partners hand if driving manual :P

But one thing I do like about manuals is how controllable the car becomes regardless the circumstance. Autos were/are less controllable and rely heavily on the go-fast pedal and brakes.
So bro, just to get your opinion. Say, cars like Satria Neo R3, isn't it better to get the Manual ones rather than the Auto Ones? I mean doesn't it beat the purpose of a car that is meant for some performance?

For sure, Auto is always the most suitable car to drive in a Jam up City like KL. Especially if it
is a daily drive. I'm not sure about how suffering it is to drive a manual in Traffic Havoc. Since I have not experience it before but kinda feel the pain on the left leg since driving auto in a crazy jam, my legs go numb a bit too..

But heard lots have advised not to buy manual due to our traffic jams.

Some said FC for Manual cars save more fuel than Auto Cars. So, just wondering whether
is a good idea to get a manual car in KL or is it just better to make a manual car a weekend car instead of daily car...:confused:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well...actually if it was me i don't really mind driving auto daily in traffic jams...especially when considering auto's fuel consumption and the lagging feels from torque converter actually makes it harder to crawl in jams....not to mention maintenance of autobox compared to manual...

unlike manual u can freely control how much power u want from crawling/stop n go situation.....

sadly my car was auto because at the moment i want to buy the car urgently there's no manual option that fits to my requirement... :biggrin: so have to live with it....not a big problem because the green one in my siggy was manual offcourse :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My 2 rides are manual. Now my wife's SUV is auto, but when drive outstation I use steptronic, so sort of like manual.....:rofl:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I like manual with stick because:

a) Lower maintenance. Change to reputable brand gear oil once a year. Sometimes will suddenly wana change if mood is good.
b) I got a stick to play when driving, or even when not driving ! :rofl:
c) I can utilize engine stopping better (not to say auto cannot)
d) I can choose the gear ratio I want
e) Better FC, if compared to normal Auto
f) Looks sporty
g) Feeling of having more control

I like Auto because:

a) My legs wont get sore
b) Relaxing
c) Cant think of anymore

Ohya, not all my friends can drive a manual. Good in terms of not lending to the person if you are afraid. But bad in switching driver in long drive.

vspec

Rookie
Oct 9, 2005
Tehran
For me,

Manual - weekend
Auto - weekdays

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I like manual with stick because:

a) Lower maintenance. Change to reputable brand gear oil once a year. Sometimes will suddenly wana change if mood is good.
b) I got a stick to play when driving, or even when not driving ! :rofl:
c) I can utilize engine stopping better (not to say auto cannot)
d) I can choose the gear ratio I want
e) Better FC, if compared to normal Auto
f) Looks sporty
g) Feeling of having more control

I like Auto because:

a) My legs wont get sore
b) Relaxing
c) Cant think of anymore

Ohya, not all my friends can drive a manual. Good in terms of not lending to the person if you are afraid. But bad in switching driver in long drive.
:rofl: :banghead: My alignment misaligned again :rofl:

I think driving Manual at least not so easy fall asleep while driving?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
hahahaha....play with bro. vspec siggy better....:driver:
Dont have manual gearbox that can control with the shape of vspec's siggy...if not, all guys will drive manual. :laugh: 1st gear rub left, 2nd gear slight up middle...Neutral, just grab...:rofl:

There are reasons why some girls prefer manual I guess :rofl:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
One more advantage using manual car is when....

The battery is weak and cannot start...

Manual cars can push to start, using the 2nd gear.....

Auto cars cannot do anything except scratching the head......:mad::motz::bird::thumpdown:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
One more advantage using manual car is when....

The battery is weak and cannot start...

Manual cars can push to start, using the 2nd gear.....

Auto cars cannot do anything except scratching the head......:mad::motz::bird::thumpdown:
Can, jump start is easy. :wink: yet nowadays a lot of people are willing to help on the road.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hei im looking for shop that does custom bodykits for myvi around kl..
i anyone have a good desig can u post here n if the shop have website state it....tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience