Pro and Cons Of Auto & Manual Cars - Open Discussion

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
There are advantages and disadvantages of both automatic transmission & manual transmission cars.

What are the advantages ?

What are the setbacks of both ?

Lets discuss...

Hopefully its an open discussion, all postings for or against either transmissions welcomed ! :wavey:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Ol skool thrifter will say manual is more fuel economical
enthusiast will marvel the mechanical involvement of a manual trans

...but that yesterday...

nowaday,
CVT can match or exceed manual in term of fuel economy
dual-clutch far more efficient than a traditional manual even in auto mode...
traditional torque converter are also getting more efficient due to more ratio (lexus's 8 speeder, anyone?)

me? love the mechanical shifting of a good manual tranny although my shifting are not as smooth as me think :banghead:

but will trade in a good ol auto box anyday in jam-packed kl streets

happy new year to you lesley!:love:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Manual with stick. Doesn't feel right when there isn't something to grab hold and play! Wakakakaka

But most of the new cars nowadays are with auto trans. Only the lowest spec can get manual, but inside is so basic. If go up to pricier cars, mostly are auto.

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
All have their pros and cons..
If we rewind back 10 years or less, torque converters still could not match self shifters..
And DSG is still in its infancy..
But in recent years a lot of effort has been put into improving these automated shifters..
Toque converters and DSGs are now much better (be it performance or frugality)..
Even automated manual seems to be improving..

Of course I'm discounting Proton, Perodua, Honda and Toyota here for obvious reasons..
No matter how much efficiency you can squeeze out of the dinosaur-age 4 speeder unit..
It's still the weakest link in modern automotive technology..

However I don't see manual gearbox to be stagnant although progress seems to have slowed down tremendously..
Take Porsche for example..
They still went and develop a 7 speeder self shifter when they can just keep the tried and tested 6 speeder and keep the 7 speed PDK as a marketing ploy..

At the end of the day, I agree with the commenters above me..
Weekdays I may go for auto gearbox for obvious reasons..
For weekends I would prefer to take things into my own hands..
Though I should point out also that in Europe manual transmissions still command a majority of the vehicles sold..
And their jams tend to be worse than ours..
So if the Europeans can do it, why can't us??
;-)

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I hate autos! I guess I'll be driving manual as long as my left leg can operate the clutch... I had driven many cars with autobox, dual-clutch and cvt (not mine of course, hehe). From uncle's 3-speed auto in the old saga to my friend's preve and fiesta 1.6 dual-clutch, none of them can beat the experience of changing the gear with your hand and feet, and having the complete control of the whole operation.

It's just like eating some good food. I prefer eating it myself rather than someone feeding me, although the food would taste equally good in both cases... :driver:

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Manual transmission for the win.

I share most of what bro g4i8y0t says..except for the last sentence. But having said that, a manual feels good only in the right car ;)

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yes, I agree that most Manual cars seems to have to be the lowest spec of all. Then lots of things that the higher range models got, Manual Models don't have. Take Vios as an example. Spec J and G so much different in gadgets and goodies.

But 1 that I find is fair to both world is the Satria Neo R3. Price wise is RM3K difference but the things that Auto have, Manual model
seems to have.

I choose Manual. I understand more on the disadvantage of A/T ever since i drive the Saga BLM. So manual is the best choice.
The stick is still more effective and nothing beats having a stick with us. Fun starts from the stick :rofl:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Manual is to really enjoy the full driving experience of having the machine at your total control IF not stuck in traffic jams!
Advantage of auto is just to reduce the agony of stuck in jams and can do left foot braking like playing gokart.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Real drivers drive manual... :driver:
Does that mean F1 drivers from the last 20yrs are not real drivers? :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

When looking at oversea selling Motul 800 road racing 2T for +-US$17 and we are getting it at +-RM133 per bottle, I think it is too much. So, I'm wondering if volume can bring down the price a bit. Mix product purchasing also can, like x bottle of different engine oil + x bottle of different 2T.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience