Pro and Cons Of Auto & Manual Cars - Open Discussion

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think I'd like to have paddle shift.
Yeah me too. For now I'm content with my tiptronic stick but a faster paddle shifter would be nicer.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

If not mistaken the govt want to implement license for auto tranny driver only. Means people can choose whether to learn manual and drive whatever car, or learn only driving an auto and can only drive an auto car. If that's true, then sure got damn a lot of young people don't know how to drive a manual in the future.
I already know quite a number of people who really could not drive manual anymore. Some never even operated manual cars from the beginning when they started to learn.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I already know quite a number of people who really could not drive manual anymore. Some never even operated manual cars from the beginning when they started to learn.
Me too have friends like that. But at least they had driven one before, during in driving school haha. In the future, people might not even aware what a manual is !

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
manuals aren't easy to drive la seriously speaking. For a complete newbie to be able to balance the clutch, steer, gear shift, brake and accelerate, it's like asking a newbie to play drums like Akira Jimbo (awesomely cool fella). Auto both hands on the wheel, accelerator and brake. Two hands on the wheel and one foot controlling the movement of the car. Easy mah.

Btw, does anyone have any experience with the Audi TT? I had trouble going traffic jam speeds, it kept on lunging at low revs and low speeds. Damn difficult to drive and this was in auto mode...

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
One day Malaysia will be like US of A.... the car have lesser chance to be stolen if it got a manual tranny :banghead:

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
manuals aren't easy to drive la seriously speaking. For a complete newbie to be able to balance the clutch, steer, gear shift, brake and accelerate, it's like asking a newbie to play drums like Akira Jimbo (awesomely cool fella). Auto both hands on the wheel, accelerator and brake. Two hands on the wheel and one foot controlling the movement of the car. Easy mah.
lol true. but then again when I got my license that time household got a lot of manual cars. Even my dad's old 230E (80s model) had manual :rofl:. First time when into the car konon want to test power my driving skills, terkejut to see where the feck is the hand brake lol. He and mum never liked auto. Lately no choice but to drive auto coz too old already.

After a few years commuting via public transport, after got license barulah can drive the rolla. Bangsar hilly terrain (from damansara side) was a challenge for a newbie like me. Luckily my bro in law taught me how to balance clucth and acceleration. When first time attempt hand always standby at hand brake lol.

I still remember my sister used to drive manual. but, later drove autos for a quite some time. After that hilang skill. later wanted to test the rolla, said lama didn't drive manual. she simply shifted to reverse without pressing the clutch :banghead:. "Opocot" ....melatah aku :rofl:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
Even if my future me is going to buy an auto family car, my driveway must have at least 1 manual tranny

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If not mistaken the govt want to implement license for auto tranny driver only. Means people can choose whether to learn manual and drive whatever car, or learn only driving an auto and can only drive an auto car. If that's true, then sure got damn a lot of young people don't know how to drive a manual in the future.
Not future but now already many cannot drive manual. Many after pass their license on manual drives auto, then after a while, forget how to drive manual.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Even if my future me is going to buy an auto family car, my driveway must have at least 1 manual tranny
I have 1 auto and 2 manuals in my driveway......:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Not future but now already many cannot drive manual. Many after pass their license on manual drives auto, then after a while, forget how to drive manual.....:banghead:

I have 1 auto and 2 manuals in my driveway......:driver:
Don't la say like that bro....:bawling:

Even though is a fact that young ppl all dunno how to drive liao...some guy previously
even commented on newspaper why bother having Driving School to teach manual driving when
nowadays all auto cars :stupid:

That's the dumbest comment ever.....:stupid:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Even though is a fact that young ppl all dunno how to drive liao...some guy previously
even commented on newspaper why bother having Driving School to teach manual driving when

True fact. Manual car blocking another car, give key for him to move manual car. Came back and ask us to move because he don't know how to drive the manual.....:banghead:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

lol....it's like "why bother going to school where most of the subject they teach is irrelevant to our future jobs?" :banghead:

Some ppl isnt talented to drive a car. Steering, braking, accelerating, etc. Dat's why driving school is needed. Practice makes perfects.

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
lol....it's like "why bother going to school where most of the subject they teach is irrelevant to our future jobs?" :banghead:

Some ppl isnt talented to drive a car. Steering, braking, accelerating, etc. Dat's why driving school is needed. Practice makes perfects.
driving school also teach on the road signs and situation/case scenario for driver to know.
but i dun tink many remember it.only applies when taking the exam.
after dat drive like rally driver...even divider they will "langgar" and use the emergency lane to speed off etc... :confused:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Another problem of buying manual cars now is difficulty in selling it back later on. Initially when I bought my Livina I was considering to get it in manual but then since most Malaysian like auto and thinking that my wife will drive it, hence I picked the AT. And that was my first AT car ever! For more than 20yrs of driving and owning cars before that, I had always drove manual cars even in the infamous traffic jam nightmare in Jakarta! Now both of my cars are auto! Now I only drive manual once a year when back in Jakarta using my in-laws cars. Worry that later my manual driving skill slowly deteriorate. Should've gotten an Evo instead! :banghead:

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
with the way its going, soon we might be like the US of A, where a manual stick works like an anti-theft device. :rofl:

on the other hand, i once drove a friends' MyVi manual at peak hour in KL, that was crazy. Alot worse than driving my own car, which is a manual too. Something wrong with the placement of the clutch i think, my left leg got a good workout after that. Also, the gear stick wasn't smooth as well, even in 1st gear! Had to roll the car abit to go in gear, kinda like how one would do in reverse gear.

But i love driving my old trusty manual car, feels at home :biggrin:

p/s: an auto is great too, especially with a pedal shifter. (NFS mode on) :rofl: