Best Bang for Buck? Evo 7/8/8mr/9/9mr?

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Wow you really can tell by just looking at those pics in mudah.my?? How would you know it's not a GSR or a converted GSR or even a converted VII (cus the price is a bit low)?
Anyway the ad has disappeared so fast so must be sold already, maybe indeed a true VIII MR at a cheap price.
There is a lot of hint:
1.)Alcantara Trim Black Recaro Seat
2.)Fake Carbon strip along a/c vent(If you know what am i talking about)
3.)6 Speed Shift Knob/Shifter Panel
4.)Black Head and Tailight
5.)Exposed Carbon Fibre Spoiler
6.)Black Momo Steering Wheel
7.)260km/h gauge cluster
8.)2004 Model Year so yes it is EVO VIII MR GSR
And it list several time before dropping into 109k so i suppose could be a need money sales(Please correct me if i am wrong)

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
WTF
How can you have 330whp and 500hp on crank
It does not add up
Even if we factor in 80hp lost which is very high,you are still at only 410bhp
BHP hold no weight IMO,WHP is what matter
And yes stock EVO IX turbo can make pretty crazy HP
FYI,overall outright stock turbo record is 10.1's built by STM and make 420/420 on Mustang Dyno which translate to 460~490whp on Dynojet
i read that AWD drive train losses ranges between 25% to 30%. even if i had used 25% power loss, it would have meant that i would have had around 450hp on engine, which is also impossible based on what my car has.

i'm not sure how you managed to get the 80hp power loss (about 20%). please do share as many car forums have different percentages on awd drive train power losses. :wavey:

r3dox

Known Member
Feb 28, 2010
Johor Bahru
there is one nice Evo 8 on sales outside is stock but air manifold & exhaust already modded, but can mod til 350hp on engine? I'm guessing the ECU & turbos is probably boosted further to gain such power?

But really cannot find a stock Evo 7-9 anymore?

Can some one clarify only Evo X sold here has different spec than the JDM?

Click Here: http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/cars-for-sale/391753-mitsubishi-evo-8-original.html

MITSUBISHI EVOLUTION 8 ORIGINAL

PRICE: RM138,000

- Best condition less than 40,000 km
- GZOX Real Glass Coat
- One owner from almost new (bought at 1,500 km)
- All original and accident free
- Registered in 2009
- No engine modification
- Service by N1 Racing and ST Wangan (Tomei)
- Dyno on engine 352 bhp

ROAD TAX ONLY RM379!!!!

Original
- 6 speed manual (very economical)
- Brembo brakes
- Recaro seats
- Very clean interior

PERFORMANCE UPGRADES
- Tomei manifold (extractor)
- Tomei down pipe
- Apexi N1 exhaust
- ARC Air intake
- Exedy Hyper Single Clutch

HANDLING UPGRADES
- Full set original Cusco stabilising bars (under car)
- Cusco strut bar
- Cusco bars in boot
- Imported KW V3 shockabsobers KW coilover Variant 3 /// With adjustable compression and rebound dampening.

Confirm Champion maa..:banghead:

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
yea but 350bph the boost would be set quite high? If reset the boost to lower the ECU will need to be tuned again?

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
yea but 350bph the boost would be set quite high? If reset the boost to lower the ECU will need to be tuned again?
not necessary to reflash your ecu if you're just changing intake and exhaust. the previous owner for my car did a reflash because he sent the car for dyno run.

if you're really worried about overboosting, you can always install a good boost controller to manage your boost settings.

if i'm not mistaken, stock boost for evo 8 is 1.3 bar when the stock turbo starts boosting but drops off to 0.8 bar at higher rpm range.

i have 2 boost settings now. low boost at 1.3bar (same as stock boost) and high boost at 1.5bar, which i seldom use.

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
it comes with the 260km/h meter is it original or modded as JDM only til 180km/h.

but in order to get 350bhp the boost would need to be higher than stock.

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
it comes with the 260km/h meter is it original or modded as JDM only til 180km/h.

No,EVO VIII and above come with 260km/h gauge cluster stock
As for drivertrain lost,i don't really buy the percentage lost.The only way to know for sure is to put your car on dyno which give crank hp reading(Dyno Dynamics,Dastek) or Engine Dyno.
What matter is always WHP,that is the HP you are going to use.The key is to keep minimum variable within run and always use same dyno as reference.
Anyway,HP is just a figure.What matter to me is trap speed on drag strip,that indicate how does your power mod setup perform most accurately.
For example,we have an EVO with same mod.Let say on a Dyno Dynamics it make only 300whp/380 crank hp while it make 340whp on Dynojet.
You can use 380bhp or anything but at the end of the day this does not change your 1/4 Mile trap speed so it's irrelevant.
TL;DR:1.)Dyno is just a figure
2.)1/4 Mile trap speed is what matter and an indicate of real world performance

Mistaken_Identity

2,000 RPM
Aug 11, 2005
Johore Bahru
i read that AWD drive train losses ranges between 25% to 30%. even if i had used 25% power loss, it would have meant that i would have had around 450hp on engine, which is also impossible based on what my car has.

i'm not sure how you managed to get the 80hp power loss (about 20%). please do share as many car forums have different percentages on awd drive train power losses. :wavey:
Mizu....

U should ask him which version of Evo does he drive....:driver::driver:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
It's funny to see TS overly concern abt the gearbox's durability, it's not dat unreliable la, u think mitsu engineers tarak RnD abt the gearbox before mass producing it meh?..Evo is not proton..Evo is a sports car, not Myvi or Viva..So, don't worry so much!..

p/s: If i can afford to buy an evo, i'm not gonna worry abt the gearbox, i'm worry dat i won't have enough $ to make the car looks better+faster :vroam:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
ehdrian,

agreed. buy it first if u like it since u have the budget, gearbox is expensive but the other parts are equally expensive, so have a mechanic to come along....then get advice.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
As for drivertrain lost,i don't really buy the percentage lost. The only way to know for sure is to put your car on dyno which give crank hp reading(Dyno Dynamics,Dastek) or Engine Dyno.

What matter is always WHP,that is the HP you are going to use.The key is to keep minimum variable within run and always use same dyno as reference.

Anyway,HP is just a figure.What matter to me is trap speed on drag strip,that indicate how does your power mod setup perform most accurately.

For example,we have an EVO with same mod.Let say on a Dyno Dynamics it make only 300whp/380 crank hp while it make 340whp on Dynojet.

You can use 380bhp or anything but at the end of the day this does not change your 1/4 Mile trap speed so it's irrelevant.
TL;DR:1.)Dyno is just a figure
2.)1/4 Mile trap speed is what matter and an indicate of real world performance
whether you believe the percentage loss or not doesn't matter. fact is, power loss from drive train is real be it fwd, rwd or awd.

and if you're confident that power loss should not be calculated based on a specific percentage, please do share how you managed the calculations for the 80hp. is it based on some kind of formula or pluck from the sky?

and we aren't debating about whether we should be looking at whp or bhp as per your reference to 1/4 mile traps.

we are debating if intake + exhaust + ecu reflash can fetch 410bhp (330whp) as per your calculations. you are effectively saying that the 3 mods can help you gain 130bhp from the stock 280bhp.

i doubt my stock 560cc injectors and stock turbo can reach 410bhp on 1.5 bar boost.

as a point-of-reference, UK Evo 8 MR FQ400 has the following specs, making 405bhp:

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast stainless steel exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow
Omega forged pistons
HKS forged con rods
HKS 680cc injectors
Zytec ITP116 high pressure fuel pump
HKS 1.6mm steel head gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS iridium spark plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon fibre front lip spoiler
Carbon fibre "Sharks Tooth" rear vortex generator
PIAA High Performance light and wiper upgrade
Gloss black Team Dynamics lightweight alloy wheels

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

mine has the 260kmh speedo as well.

yes, you need to up your boost to get higher hp. however, heat is always the biggest problem so make sure you have sufficient fueling and cooling systems in place to make sure you don't break your engine. :wavey:

btw, have you decided which model you are going to buy?

Last edited:

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
whether you believe the percentage loss or not doesn't matter. fact is, power loss from drive train is real be it fwd, rwd or awd.

and if you're confident that power loss should not be calculated based on a specific percentage, please do share how you managed the calculations for the 80hp. is it based on some kind of formula or pluck from the sky?

and we aren't debating about whether we should be looking at whp or bhp as per your reference to 1/4 mile traps.

we are debating if intake + exhaust + ecu reflash can fetch 410bhp (330whp) as per your calculations. you are effectively saying that the 3 mods can help you gain 130bhp from the stock 280bhp.

i doubt my stock 560cc injectors and stock turbo can reach 410bhp on 1.5 bar boost.

as a point-of-reference, UK Evo 8 MR FQ400 has the following specs, making 405bhp:
My 330whp/410bhp is just an example
Crank HP is quite irrelevant since it is not easy to obtain a reading(Engine Dyno)
Stock 560cc injector can support basic mod no issue
300-330whp is possible to be had from just Intake + ECU Flash(Increased Boost as well) + Exhaust + Walbro 255LPH Pump
This had been done for long long while

Here are some example:

301whp/283wft/lb on 91 octane/22psi or 1.5bar ish peak.This is on Mustang Dyno which is low reading(13% lower so Dynojet figure should be +/- 340whp/320wFT/LB)
Mod is 3" TBE(Downpipe,Cat Delete or High Flow Cat and Catback),ETS LICP,EVO IX Metal DV,255LPH Walbro and Samco Inlet Pipe with AEM 5" Intake/MAF Adapter,Open Source Flash
Source: My mostly stock VIII at Buschur Racing - evolutionm.net

327whp/310wFT/LB on 94 octane/20.5psi or 1.4bar peak
Mod:Cobb AP, Megan o2 housing, some JDM no-name 3" downpipe,Megan Resonated Testpipe, HKS Hi-Power Catback,HKS RS intake,AMS lower intercooler piping,Injen UICP, Walboro 255 fuel pump
Source: Evo IX MR on Cobb Tuning Stage 2 - 308whp/282wtq - evolutionm.net

305whp/278wFT/LB on 93octane/23psi or 1.6bar ish peak on low reading dyno so 10%-13% lower than Dynojet,Dynojet figure will be at 335whp/305wFT/LB
Mod: AEM Truboost Boost Controller,Injen Intake and IC Piping,Buschur Downpipe,Buschur Test Pipe,3" Catback Exhaust,Open Source Flash
Source:Evo IX MR 305whp/279wtq - evolutionm.net

353whp/346wFT/LB on 26psi/1.8bar peak
Mod:TBE,ETS FMIC,Full Injen Intake including LICP and UICP,Walbro 255 and mbc
Source:Stock turbo + full bolt ons. - evolutionm.net

331whp/345wFT/LB on 93 pump gas/25psi or 1.7bar peak
Mod: Walbro Fuel pump,Vishnu- V-band (TBE) Thermo wrapped the downpipe,Megan 02 Housing,Buschur ported exhaust manifold,ETS 3” FMIC,ETS LICP,Injen intake/UICP,Forge MBC @ 25-24 psi,Ivy tuned(Open Source)
Source: Stock turbo, basic bolt-on's dyno - evolutionm.net

BTW,FQ400 setup by 2011 is pretty outdated already(Turbo,Cam Profile,Exhaust Manifold Design etc)

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
oh... i see... you're the type who would swear by ANOTHER PERSON's car tuned in ANOTHER COUNTRY and expect results to be the same all over the world. :rolleyes:

you can copy and paste till your CONTROL, C and V key pops out from your keyboard but unless you show us your own evo with similar mods and results tuned right here in Malaysia, your references mean nothing.

right now, i'm still waiting for you to show YOUR OWN evo tuning results in Malaysia whereby intake + exhaust + ecu reflash with stock injectors and stock turbo can help you to gain 130bhp (almost 50% increase) from the stock 280bhp to 410bhp. :wavey:

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
oh... i see... you're the type who would swear by ANOTHER PERSON's car tuned in ANOTHER COUNTRY and expect results to be the same all over the world. :rolleyes:

you can copy and paste till your CONTROL, C and V key pops out from your keyboard but unless you show us your own evo with similar mods and results tuned right here in Malaysia, your references mean nothing.

right now, i'm still waiting for you to show YOUR OWN evo tuning results in Malaysia whereby intake + exhaust + ecu reflash with stock injectors and stock turbo can help you to gain 130bhp (almost 50% increase) from the stock 280bhp to 410bhp. :wavey:
That is not possible at the point of time now
And yes i am interested to prove it can be done when i have my own car:biggrin:
Again,it is not impossible to do that even here
300whp-330whp is piece of cake for 4G63
Consider stock EVO dyno around 250whp +/- on Dynojet so we are talking about increase of 50whp-80whp
If you want you can go lancerregister.com and there is similar result(400 crank)
Also,i believe there is plenty of EVO in Malaysia with that sort of HP,just that i does not know any of them
Anyway,end of word is 300whp-330whp is piece of cake for EVO as long as got good tuner,right parts combination and car is running properly

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all,
wanna know what will be the best steering rack if me wanna upgrade my steering rack?
this engine sitting in wira a/back. i believe it still using the original steering rack.

not very sure if the mech change the steering rack when me converted the engine, probably he may 'bs' to me that it has been change.it doubt its not.

so me wanna know, what would be the best or perhaps for performance/last longer kind of steering rack i can use...

please advice.. what other thing i...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience