Best Bang for Buck? Evo 7/8/8mr/9/9mr?

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
ehdrian,

agreed. buy it first if u like it since u have the budget, gearbox is expensive but the other parts are equally expensive, so have a mechanic to come along....then get advice.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
As for drivertrain lost,i don't really buy the percentage lost. The only way to know for sure is to put your car on dyno which give crank hp reading(Dyno Dynamics,Dastek) or Engine Dyno.

What matter is always WHP,that is the HP you are going to use.The key is to keep minimum variable within run and always use same dyno as reference.

Anyway,HP is just a figure.What matter to me is trap speed on drag strip,that indicate how does your power mod setup perform most accurately.

For example,we have an EVO with same mod.Let say on a Dyno Dynamics it make only 300whp/380 crank hp while it make 340whp on Dynojet.

You can use 380bhp or anything but at the end of the day this does not change your 1/4 Mile trap speed so it's irrelevant.
TL;DR:1.)Dyno is just a figure
2.)1/4 Mile trap speed is what matter and an indicate of real world performance
whether you believe the percentage loss or not doesn't matter. fact is, power loss from drive train is real be it fwd, rwd or awd.

and if you're confident that power loss should not be calculated based on a specific percentage, please do share how you managed the calculations for the 80hp. is it based on some kind of formula or pluck from the sky?

and we aren't debating about whether we should be looking at whp or bhp as per your reference to 1/4 mile traps.

we are debating if intake + exhaust + ecu reflash can fetch 410bhp (330whp) as per your calculations. you are effectively saying that the 3 mods can help you gain 130bhp from the stock 280bhp.

i doubt my stock 560cc injectors and stock turbo can reach 410bhp on 1.5 bar boost.

as a point-of-reference, UK Evo 8 MR FQ400 has the following specs, making 405bhp:

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast stainless steel exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow
Omega forged pistons
HKS forged con rods
HKS 680cc injectors
Zytec ITP116 high pressure fuel pump
HKS 1.6mm steel head gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS iridium spark plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon fibre front lip spoiler
Carbon fibre "Sharks Tooth" rear vortex generator
PIAA High Performance light and wiper upgrade
Gloss black Team Dynamics lightweight alloy wheels

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

it comes with the 260km/h meter is it original or modded as JDM only til 180km/h.

but in order to get 350bhp the boost would need to be higher than stock.
mine has the 260kmh speedo as well.

yes, you need to up your boost to get higher hp. however, heat is always the biggest problem so make sure you have sufficient fueling and cooling systems in place to make sure you don't break your engine. :wavey:

btw, have you decided which model you are going to buy?

Last edited:

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
whether you believe the percentage loss or not doesn't matter. fact is, power loss from drive train is real be it fwd, rwd or awd.

and if you're confident that power loss should not be calculated based on a specific percentage, please do share how you managed the calculations for the 80hp. is it based on some kind of formula or pluck from the sky?

and we aren't debating about whether we should be looking at whp or bhp as per your reference to 1/4 mile traps.

we are debating if intake + exhaust + ecu reflash can fetch 410bhp (330whp) as per your calculations. you are effectively saying that the 3 mods can help you gain 130bhp from the stock 280bhp.

i doubt my stock 560cc injectors and stock turbo can reach 410bhp on 1.5 bar boost.

as a point-of-reference, UK Evo 8 MR FQ400 has the following specs, making 405bhp:
My 330whp/410bhp is just an example
Crank HP is quite irrelevant since it is not easy to obtain a reading(Engine Dyno)
Stock 560cc injector can support basic mod no issue
300-330whp is possible to be had from just Intake + ECU Flash(Increased Boost as well) + Exhaust + Walbro 255LPH Pump
This had been done for long long while

Here are some example:

301whp/283wft/lb on 91 octane/22psi or 1.5bar ish peak.This is on Mustang Dyno which is low reading(13% lower so Dynojet figure should be +/- 340whp/320wFT/LB)
Mod is 3" TBE(Downpipe,Cat Delete or High Flow Cat and Catback),ETS LICP,EVO IX Metal DV,255LPH Walbro and Samco Inlet Pipe with AEM 5" Intake/MAF Adapter,Open Source Flash
Source: My mostly stock VIII at Buschur Racing - evolutionm.net

327whp/310wFT/LB on 94 octane/20.5psi or 1.4bar peak
Mod:Cobb AP, Megan o2 housing, some JDM no-name 3" downpipe,Megan Resonated Testpipe, HKS Hi-Power Catback,HKS RS intake,AMS lower intercooler piping,Injen UICP, Walboro 255 fuel pump
Source: Evo IX MR on Cobb Tuning Stage 2 - 308whp/282wtq - evolutionm.net

305whp/278wFT/LB on 93octane/23psi or 1.6bar ish peak on low reading dyno so 10%-13% lower than Dynojet,Dynojet figure will be at 335whp/305wFT/LB
Mod: AEM Truboost Boost Controller,Injen Intake and IC Piping,Buschur Downpipe,Buschur Test Pipe,3" Catback Exhaust,Open Source Flash
Source:Evo IX MR 305whp/279wtq - evolutionm.net

353whp/346wFT/LB on 26psi/1.8bar peak
Mod:TBE,ETS FMIC,Full Injen Intake including LICP and UICP,Walbro 255 and mbc
Source:Stock turbo + full bolt ons. - evolutionm.net

331whp/345wFT/LB on 93 pump gas/25psi or 1.7bar peak
Mod: Walbro Fuel pump,Vishnu- V-band (TBE) Thermo wrapped the downpipe,Megan 02 Housing,Buschur ported exhaust manifold,ETS 3” FMIC,ETS LICP,Injen intake/UICP,Forge MBC @ 25-24 psi,Ivy tuned(Open Source)
Source: Stock turbo, basic bolt-on's dyno - evolutionm.net

BTW,FQ400 setup by 2011 is pretty outdated already(Turbo,Cam Profile,Exhaust Manifold Design etc)

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
oh... i see... you're the type who would swear by ANOTHER PERSON's car tuned in ANOTHER COUNTRY and expect results to be the same all over the world. :rolleyes:

you can copy and paste till your CONTROL, C and V key pops out from your keyboard but unless you show us your own evo with similar mods and results tuned right here in Malaysia, your references mean nothing.

right now, i'm still waiting for you to show YOUR OWN evo tuning results in Malaysia whereby intake + exhaust + ecu reflash with stock injectors and stock turbo can help you to gain 130bhp (almost 50% increase) from the stock 280bhp to 410bhp. :wavey:

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
oh... i see... you're the type who would swear by ANOTHER PERSON's car tuned in ANOTHER COUNTRY and expect results to be the same all over the world. :rolleyes:

you can copy and paste till your CONTROL, C and V key pops out from your keyboard but unless you show us your own evo with similar mods and results tuned right here in Malaysia, your references mean nothing.

right now, i'm still waiting for you to show YOUR OWN evo tuning results in Malaysia whereby intake + exhaust + ecu reflash with stock injectors and stock turbo can help you to gain 130bhp (almost 50% increase) from the stock 280bhp to 410bhp. :wavey:
That is not possible at the point of time now
And yes i am interested to prove it can be done when i have my own car:biggrin:
Again,it is not impossible to do that even here
300whp-330whp is piece of cake for 4G63
Consider stock EVO dyno around 250whp +/- on Dynojet so we are talking about increase of 50whp-80whp
If you want you can go lancerregister.com and there is similar result(400 crank)
Also,i believe there is plenty of EVO in Malaysia with that sort of HP,just that i does not know any of them
Anyway,end of word is 300whp-330whp is piece of cake for EVO as long as got good tuner,right parts combination and car is running properly

Mistaken_Identity

2,000 RPM
Aug 11, 2005
Johore Bahru
That is not possible at the point of time now
And yes i am interested to prove it can be done when i have my own car:biggrin:
Again,it is not impossible to do that even here
300whp-330whp is piece of cake for 4G63
Consider stock EVO dyno around 250whp +/- on Dynojet so we are talking about increase of 50whp-80whp
If you want you can go lancerregister.com and there is similar result(400 crank)
Also,i believe there is plenty of EVO in Malaysia with that sort of HP,just that i does not know any of them
Anyway,end of word is 300whp-330whp is piece of cake for EVO as long as got good tuner,right parts combination and car is running properly

Show us the real proof when U managed to get it done on your car.... Not just copy & paste from other forums... All forummers over here can browse the website & read through as well... Piece of cake...??? Then proved it....:driver::driver:

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
Show us the real proof when U managed to get it done on your car.... Not just copy & paste from other forums... All forummers over here can browse the website & read through as well... Piece of cake...??? Then proved it....:driver::driver:
I also want that piece of cake laa, Bos .. ada lebih??? :rofl:

That time i get 317 whp only leh with HKS GT interfooler, Koyorad racing radiator, 272 camshafts, stock turbo, stock internals (with metal head gasket), stock fuel injectors, stock fuel pump, reflashed ECU ... on Ron98. Tunjuk ajar Bos, where i went wrong? :listen:

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Is there a big difference between MR & GSR? The aluminium roof does lower the CG on the MR but is it big difference in handling?

Price for 8 is still high compared to other cars like Impreza & Skyline GTT...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
if u really looking for an 8, i have one selling soon....wait for my post at marketplace...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
the car stock..except advan rims...thats all....

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
I also want that piece of cake laa, Bos .. ada lebih??? :rofl:

That time i get 317 whp only leh with HKS GT interfooler, Koyorad racing radiator, 272 camshafts, stock turbo, stock internals (with metal head gasket), stock fuel injectors, stock fuel pump, reflashed ECU ... on Ron98. Tunjuk ajar Bos, where i went wrong? :listen:
What is your boost first??
Radiator does not count as a mod LOL
Which Camshaft???
317whp is a bit low but not too sad
Which EVO you have BTW?Which turbo??
Full 3" Exhaust??

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Is there a big difference between MR & GSR? The aluminium roof does lower the CG on the MR but is it big difference in handling?

Price for 8 is still high compared to other cars like Impreza & Skyline GTT...
Let me rephrase this over and over again,EVO VIII and EVO VIII MR is two separate model.VIII=MY03 and VIII MR=MY04.
GSR and RS is the trim
GSR=Street Spec(Most in Malaysia is GSR)
RS=Competition Spec(Seldom seen in Malaysia)
Difference between VIII and VIII MR:
1.)Aluminum Roof(If sunroof option than moot point)
2.)Vertex Generator(Don't matter much since can be easily retrofitted)
3.)Different color for GSR(IINM,VIII=Purple,White,Silver,Black,Yellow,Red;VIII MR=Red,Silver,Grey,White)
4.)VIII MR have exposed carbon stock spoiler
5.)VIII MR have black headlight and tailight housing(Can be easily retrofitted or sprayed)
6.)For GSR,VIII=Black and Purple/Blue ish seat while VIII MR is Black Alcantara
5.)Minor interior trim difference(VIII have blue dash A/C Vent Strip Pieces;VIII MR have fake carbon A/C Vent Strip Pieces)
6.)Stock EVO VIII MR come with Bilstein Shock(Can be retrofitted and Bilstein>KYB)
7.)EVO VIII MR can be optioned with lighter BBS Rim from factory
8.)IINM,EVO VIII MR have slightly different camshaft and turbocharger
Err,that's all i can recall
Will update if i remember more differences
Hope this is easy to understand for TS

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
What is your boost first??
Radiator does not count as a mod LOL
Which Camshaft???
317whp is a bit low but not too sad
Which EVO you have BTW?Which turbo??
Full 3" Exhaust??

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

@1.5 bar boost lor.
HKS 272 camshafts lor.
full 3' exhaust lor.
TM E6 turbo lor.
Radiator not count as a mod meh? then why have Racing radiator? :banghead: shouldn't have waste money buy then last time ...
i only have a slow and old lancer lor .... unlike u. Should be driving a extremely powerful almost stock Evo 9, correct?
Dyno done on Dynapack lor ...

Last edited:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
PabloIceman: bro, u hv many "lor" lo..hehe:biggrin:

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
stock turbo max bhp output is 370bhp..

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

form my point of view american dyne always looks good on dyne chart compare to japanese dyno.they have over 1000whp on an evo but i think is quite ridiculous..sorry don't shoot me

if a stock evo with some minor mods can reach 330whp why we still need to change turbo since stock turbo is such a good turbo from low rpm till high rpm?

i got a friend evo7 with stock internal just power fc tuning in 1 of the sunway shop and the got 332whp @1.5bar and i think is not accurate or he trying to do business

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
330whp with reflash(increase boost)+exhaust+intake? this i have to see.

injectors, bigger turbo,cams,cooling all no need to mod...? all also not considered mod ah sifu EVOfans? cause you told Pablo that radiator not a mod...i also need to clarify what is mod and not a mod from you sifu...

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
Maybe EVOFans never seen dyno done on same car on 2 different machine totally different results. Because Dyno shop want good business they change the inputs and corrections to give 'elevated' & sui-sui (Cantik) results so that Owners will feel good about parting with their $$$ and return as customers later on.

I also wonder what his pre-occupation about WHP unless the intention is to run in drag runs lor. Then off course why need a lighter & thicker radiator because u only need to go straight and hold on for dear life lor ...
Tells alot when u see the Cyberevo from Japan winning the World Time Attack title instead of 1000++ WHP machines that are being dished out in the States.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My Suzuki SWIFT refused to start earlier this week. I suspected that there was something wrong with the battery and had it replaced with a new battery from AAM.

I also had my alternator and electrical systems checked at a workshop in Sunway and the mechanic said everything was OK.

After replacing the battery, the car worked fine. But the very next day the car refused to start again and requires a jump start.

I am now wondering whether the workshop did not check thoroughly because there...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience