Best Bang for Buck? Evo 7/8/8mr/9/9mr?

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
i have tried dyno my old tme with all the same mod but 3 diff dyno in sunway....more of less the hp will be the same but i have 1 dyno reading far apart from the other 2 dyno

stock turbo n internal with 1.5bar boost..stock ecu

1st dyne run was N1 racing 288whp
2nd dyne run was links power 289whp
3rd dyno machine jc racing 309whp

i was shock to see the diff of the power band
whats the point of having 400whp but your bottom end sucks big time?

pablo: the usa team evo is 800hp++ lose out to a 590hp cyberevo and cyber is using old old turbo

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
wow ... u kaya laa ... sampai 3 dyno runs u do!! haha ..

Ya lor precisely my point abt the HP thingy ... even in drag applications with higher HP also can loose out to smaller HP car lor .. alot of factors in it. Car set-up is important!

My opinion is that take the dyno results with a pinch of salt lor ...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
elevated figures in dyno shops(very common) is one thing. In j.b once i dyno 21x+whp..i knew this was bull$@#t,dyno in sunway @ millenium 180whp+( not for a evo, its for a b20). somehow this made more sense.

Another thing is, if it is not your car, how EVOfans know for SURE that is the ONLY mods done? A lot of people like to hide their mods or too lazy to type everything down. only and only if its your own car, will you know for sure.

Consider stock EVO dyno around 250whp +/- on Dynojet so we are talking about increase of 50whp-80whp
really???? i thought stock evo 7 276BHP, when dyno become 250whp stock evo? sure or not? 10% losses after transfer?

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
really???? i thought stock evo 7 276BHP, when dyno become 250whp stock evo? sure or not? 10% losses after transfer?
ei, u all dun play play lar... EVOFan is pro tuner. he eat salt more than we eat rice... although he may be botak or nearly have kidney failure from all the salt...

anyway, it's a piece of cake for him to get 130bhp increase from stock 280bhp to 410bhp with just intake, exhaust and ecu reflash. 330whp is kacang putih to him.

not too sure about how his pro-ness can reduce drive train power losses to 10%. maybe he changed his evo to FWD coz the 10% is like typical FWD setup. throw away the long shaft and voila... weight saving measure for better 1/4 mile run!!!

for normal people like us, we consider changing radiators as a mod but for gurus like EVOFan, he probably throws the radiator away to save weight (inclusive of coolant fluid weight). maybe he is using the old porsche method of air cooling the engine? it is something that normal people like us cannot understand. :biggrin:

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
ei, u all dun play play lar... EVOFan is pro tuner. he eat salt more than we eat rice... although he may be botak or nearly have kidney failure from all the salt...

anyway, it's a piece of cake for him to get 130bhp increase from stock 280bhp to 410bhp with just intake, exhaust and ecu reflash. 330whp is kacang putih to him.

not too sure about how his pro-ness can reduce drive train power losses to 10%. maybe he changed his evo to FWD coz the 10% is like typical FWD setup. throw away the long shaft and voila... weight saving measure for better 1/4 mile run!!!

for normal people like us, we consider changing radiators as a mod but for gurus like EVOFan, he probably throws the radiator away to save weight (inclusive of coolant fluid weight). maybe he is using the old porsche method of air cooling the engine? it is something that normal people like us cannot understand. :biggrin:

not throw away the radiator is throw away the intercooler and put a kancil fuel tank

H22-C

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2007
jun, how about the Dyno Dynamics in Meilennium Motorsport ? how you try dyno that one ah ?

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
overall i still like the e7 stock looks, maybe the 5-speed gb is only the disadvantage
ur post makes me feels damn good man... i've found myself a pretty stock (air filter, exhaust, cam pulley mods - or mayb its not considered a mod) evo7 with 6-speed MR gearbox... damn happy wif it... can cruise at low RPM...

to thread starter, as long as u got a good condition car... service it one time, it's gonna serve u well... i've changed all drive train fluid, timing belt, bearing, oil seals n engine oil after i got my car... spent abt RM2k on this... n its serving me well....

i've got a question to EVOfan, it appear to me that u just minus off 80hp as a drive train lost... irregardless of what's the hp of the car... means if i drive a myvi or vios, i'm actually having less than 50bhp??? dat's pretty sad isnt it???

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

sorry, got one more question... i saw some members posted their stock boost is 1.3bar... my car only boosting at 0.8bar le... dat day fetch my fren n he ask me boost... after dat he told me i got no chance wif his 350z... geram betul... hahahhaha

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
ur post makes me feels damn good man... i've found myself a pretty stock (air filter, exhaust, cam pulley mods - or mayb its not considered a mod) evo7 with 6-speed MR gearbox... damn happy wif it... can cruise at low RPM...

to thread starter, as long as u got a good condition car... service it one time, it's gonna serve u well... i've changed all drive train fluid, timing belt, bearing, oil seals n engine oil after i got my car... spent abt RM2k on this... n its serving me well....

i've got a question to EVOfan, it appear to me that u just minus off 80hp as a drive train lost... irregardless of what's the hp of the car... means if i drive a myvi or vios, i'm actually having less than 50bhp??? dat's pretty sad isnt it???

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

sorry, got one more question... i saw some members posted their stock boost is 1.3bar... my car only boosting at 0.8bar le... dat day fetch my fren n he ask me boost... after dat he told me i got no chance wif his 350z... geram betul... hahahhaha

stock car can boost up to 1.5bar with proper a/f

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
@1.5 bar boost lor.
HKS 272 camshafts lor.
full 3' exhaust lor.
TM E6 turbo lor.
Radiator not count as a mod meh? then why have Racing radiator? :banghead: shouldn't have waste money buy then last time ...
i only have a slow and old lancer lor .... unlike u. Should be driving a extremely powerful almost stock Evo 9, correct?
Dyno done on Dynapack lor ...
Not count as mod as in don't help with power
But additional cooling abilities,better clearance with big turbo setup(CP9A EVO positions style)
Fair enough??
Power seem to be slightly lower but not that low
I'd say 330-340whp is fair for what you have(TME Turbo,HKS Cam and pump gas)
EVO IX turbo do give extra power due to bigger compressor housing and AFAIK MIVEC Head casing is better(Search 4G63 Head Core Shift)

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

stock turbo max bhp output is 370bhp..

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

form my point of view american dyne always looks good on dyne chart compare to japanese dyno.they have over 1000whp on an evo but i think is quite ridiculous..sorry don't shoot me

if a stock evo with some minor mods can reach 330whp why we still need to change turbo since stock turbo is such a good turbo from low rpm till high rpm?

i got a friend evo7 with stock internal just power fc tuning in 1 of the sunway shop and the got 332whp @1.5bar and i think is not accurate or he trying to do business
330whp with reflash(increase boost)+exhaust+intake? this i have to see.

injectors, bigger turbo,cams,cooling all no need to mod...? all also not considered mod ah sifu EVOfans? cause you told Pablo that radiator not a mod...i also need to clarify what is mod and not a mod from you sifu...
Maybe EVOFans never seen dyno done on same car on 2 different machine totally different results. Because Dyno shop want good business they change the inputs and corrections to give 'elevated' & sui-sui (Cantik) results so that Owners will feel good about parting with their $$$ and return as customers later on.

I also wonder what his pre-occupation about WHP unless the intention is to run in drag runs lor. Then off course why need a lighter & thicker radiator because u only need to go straight and hold on for dear life lor ...
Tells alot when u see the Cyberevo from Japan winning the World Time Attack title instead of 1000++ WHP machines that are being dished out in the States.
Stock turbo output is for sure over 370hp
There is some very fast ET being done with stock turbo
1000whp is not ridiculous at all,it is doable but of course there is a lot of downside(Bad powerband,not usable power etc)
All of those are mod but don't count as power mod to me(You need to have them to run reliably at that power level but they don't actually contribute to power itself,such as fuel pump or fuel injector)
I know about dyno machine variation and yes i know you can play around with the reading of the dyno(Weather Correction System,Correction Factor,Smoothing,Calibration etc)
As for Sierra Sierra EVO vs Cyber EVO:
Yes,Cyber EVO have faster laptime
But Sierra Sierra EVO have fastest backstraight speed of 188MPH or 300+km/h while Cyber EVO is in 150MPH range or 240KM/H Range
So in this instance,Sierra-Sierra EVO have better power but Cyber EVO is better in other aspect(Lightness etc)
Logic explanation for all of the stuff you mentioned above??
Good enough??
Finally,WHP is what i take as reading because plain and simple,most chassis dyno machine spit out WHP(Dastek,Dyno Dynamics does gives out BHP reading)

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

jun, how about the Dyno Dynamics in Meilennium Motorsport ? how you try dyno that one ah ?
Usually Dyno Dynamics read lower when not in Shootout mode(Crank HP reading) when compare to other dyno such as Dynojet or Dastek Dyno(When giving out WHP,not crank HP obviously)
You can dyno same day at Millenium than go to other place,you are bound to get some lower reading at Millenium

JayDM

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2006
KL
Evofans,

You are like a walking evo dictionary, or maybe a walking evom.net. Good efforts but too much of these copy n paste "infos" are getting a bit lethargic, u know what i mean? :biggrin:

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Can we leave the tuning thing on separate thread & discuss about VII VIII IX?

So far is there big difference in handling between MR & GSR, with the aluminium roof being the main advantage? BTW do all GSR VIII comes with Sunroof while MR/RS don't?

Good info though.

The black evo on motor trader doesn't look stock, lots of parts and extra meters...

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
evofans: yes stock turbo over 370hp yes when they modified to 22 or 25g turbo
everything has a limitation and every time they won't work to the limit
for example stock turbo 370hp and u have to minus around 10% as they don't work 100% all time

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
There is some very fast ET being done with stock turbo
1000whp is not ridiculous at all,it is doable but of course there is a lot of downside(Bad powerband,not usable power etc)
WOW, STOCK EVO TURBO CAN REACH 1,000 WHP!!!

all bow to EVOFan :adore::adore::adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there! If anyone out there plan to open a car detailing shop please pm me. I'm dealing USA imported Car Detailing products and various tools. I will share with you my passion in this trade...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience