Open pod on Automatic car

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hahaha, I haven't wash or oil mine for more than 10K km already! :biggrin: Who says have to do that every 5K km?
No need clean so fast. I use before and clean when dirty and that is many many kms.....:driver:

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

its the cleaning kit by simota or knn
I just use washing detergent to clean. After dry, oil with atf.....used for many years then sold the car...:driver:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
The runner I'm talking about is the black colour part running across your engine for the intake one after you throttle body....you open you picture and see...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Seriously?! So stuffy! Relocate battery to boot (if possible?) and make place for bigger intake box?

No surprise, small car trying to maximize cabin space, you'll get cramped engine bay.
Yeah, moving the battery to the boot could be a good idea.

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
The runner I'm talking about is the black colour part running across your engine for the intake one after you throttle body....you open you picture and see...
Thx for the suggestion, I will tried it when I do dyno, booking appointment with speedwork now, going to change from extraktor to muffler whole system together to ensure going with works with the open pod, speedwork said they will do the dyno for open pod and original air box and shows that open pod are working when exhaust system was change together.
Let see what they can do for me=\

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thx for the suggestion, I will tried it when I do dyno, booking appointment with speedwork now, going to change from extraktor to muffler whole system together to ensure going with works with the open pod, speedwork said they will do the dyno for open pod and original air box and shows that open pod are working when exhaust system was change together.
Let see what they can do for me=\
do tell the outcome :biggrin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Iam looking for someone who give me comment like this,thx for your info. The reason i change pipe size is because the stock size is about1.3 only,jian hang telling me that it is to small for my 1.5l, i remember he change my size to 2.2 of front and 1.7 for back, now waitting for the custom s-flow, and bigger 4-1 extraktor.4-2-1 are not recommended he said facing mounting problem.
Sorry bro I think there is a serious problem here. The shop advised you to use 4-1 extractor because there is no space for a 4-2-1? In that case, forget it. Just use back the stock extractor. 4-1 extractor is very high rpm biased. Town driving will be a torture. 4-2-1 is for low to mid rpm. Try to see those high revving NA players such as B16 or Blacktops. Most of them who use the car daily will use 4-2-1 even though their engines are high rpm.

Im not sure how is the stock manifold for Almera. 4-1 or 4-2-1. I be guessing it is 4-2-1. If the stock car comes with 4-1, then maybe you can use a 4-1 extractor. But if it is 4-2-1, bro, seriously consider what I say. Just some food for thought. Not trying to lecture you or what. but I leaned the hard way messing with my exhaust before.

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry bro I think there is a serious problem here. The shop advised you to use 4-1 extractor because there is no space for a 4-2-1? In that case, forget it. Just use back the stock extractor. 4-1 extractor is very high rpm biased. Town driving will be a torture. 4-2-1 is for low to mid rpm. Try to see those high revving NA players such as B16 or Blacktops. Most of them who use the car daily will use 4-2-1 even though their engines are high rpm.

Im not sure how is the stock manifold for Almera. 4-1 or 4-2-1. I be guessing it is 4-2-1. If the stock car comes with 4-1, then maybe you can use a 4-1 extractor. But if it is 4-2-1, bro, seriously consider what I say. Just some food for thought. Not trying to lecture you or what. but I leaned the hard way messing with my exhaust before.
The stock is 4-1, the shop recommended use 4-1 because 2 reason, 4-2-1 take quite big space, might facing mounting problem. And so, 4-2-1 will bw longer, makes the mounting part different than my stock setting.
But I had went to speedwork, they promised me, open pod 100% works on my ride, they will change my whole exhaust system to balance back with the open pod to makes it work.
But still facing low end suffer.
They RM900 for my open pod installation, rm300 is heat shield. Rm2200 for hotbits whole system single exit, RM2700 if dual exit, but depends on performance, I told if dual was`t good enough will use single.

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Just to share my experience. Which is similar to Izso...I've also try short ram, long ram, commando style (no air filter), CAI...etc...also the same result as to Izso's

Now all my car I'm opt for drop in only....MT or AT same....I didn't even put CAI just use back all the stock intake piping....Also using short ram or long ram the differences is in a very narrow speed range only.

You want more power it's not all just about having the less restrictive filter it also involves temperature. After looking at your attache images can say your intake runners are fairly small and long well it's good for low to mid torque (city drive, stop n go) but high wend will suffer a bit due to the small runners it limits the amount of air flow.

Then I saw your runners are all snaking over the engine before going into the intake side. Which I would say will contribute a lot of power loss due to heat soaking...Have you tried touching you intake runners after a long drive? if not. try touching it. For me the 1st thing I want to solve the problem is the intake runners situation the air filter just get a drop in.

Your runners I suggest you ceramic coat them. Reduction in intake temp is beneficial and gives your car more power.

Ignition Booster...can show me a pic of that?

The part I don't understand is why you need to change your piping size since your car is consider mildly modified....you should have just stick to the original piping size. What's your piping size now? Do understand that the bigger the piping size the faster the exhaust cools down and becomes more heavy and harder to push out of the exhaust system....

Just sharing my own mild modification steps and method for small CC cars. Just change a drop in air filter, swap out the extractor, replace the mid box and put in good high flow S-flow muffler. Retain the stock piping size. DIY port polish the throttle body, port polish the intake ports and do exhaust port matching. coat or wrap all the black intake piping with aluminium foil (get from tesco or giant) less radiated heat into the intake flow = lower air temp = more power. When you go into modification before you start actually modding the car you need to understand the car driving behavior 1st. If not, you will be spending unnecessary money but with no gain.

Also modding a NA car is not cheap, need a lot of time and understanding, NA is not easy to squeeze more power out like a force induction does so be realistic on your mods and expectation on power gain. Also be clear about the purpose of your mods, to make the car more lively to drive or otherwise because if not you will keep feeling down and disappointed....

My posting might sound harsh but I'm telling the truth as it is..no twist no turn...just straight talk...I hope you don't feel offended. I've modded quite some cars on my own and also have walk through the beginner stage just like you.

Cheers
I using the fire storm ignition booster, the slightly high price one, I feels slightly different after install, but need dyno to prove it, weeks later after speedwork done my exhaust and open pod installation, they will do dyno on every single part, and i will update it here show every single part I load in my car to see it works or not.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My corolla was said to be 4-1 too and recommended to stick to stock 4-1. Jian Hang is quite a reputable exhaust shop.
Using KNN as well but some ferns said after change back to stock drop in filter, feels the same. To me KNN I use is to save cost on Air filters replacement. Since mine stock is costly for each change. Might as well get one that can clean and reuse.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated with the results. But I'm just saying by what you stated, the amount spent can actually sum up into getting a better half cut engine for your ride. Wel, just my 2 cents. Might have 1 that can fit your car

You can try to ask if it is possible to transplant into your car. At least worth more than what you plan to spend since you are ready to forfeit the warranty anyway.

NH6 Half Cut Nissan Pulsar N15 SR16VE Neo MT - Car Accessories & Parts for sale Selangor - Mudah.my

Last edited:

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
My corolla was said to be 4-1 too and recommended to stick to stock 4-1. Jian Hang is quite a reputable exhaust shop.
Using KNN as well but some ferns said after change back to stock drop in filter, feels the same. To me KNN I use is to save cost on Air filters replacement. Since mine stock is costly for each change. Might as well get one that can clean and reuse.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated with the results. But I'm just saying by what you stated, the amount spent can actually sum up into getting a better half cut engine for your ride. Wel, just my 2 cents. Might have 1 that can fit your car
Hmm, I dunno, but actually does`t plan to do mount another engine, i not sure about the compressor ratio, but this car is better to stick with stock engine with small mod, I just plan to improve some acceleration, fuel consume if possible, will stick to stock engine and get some possible mod which won`t hurt my daily driving as well.
Will stick to speedwork first, since they said they can done anything, will change suspension soon as well, and change the brake hose to ss, change front 2 disk brake and add 2 to behine, stiff ring, and some other electronic things.

Emp

Known Member
Jan 9, 2010
JB
Well....on an almera....you will be one of a kind :)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks bro... Your results sounds completely probable and sticks very much to theory. I want to ask for your opinion.... If you haven't done it, maybe just an educated guess. What do you think of standard length piping with open pod with heat shield and non-sealed CAI?

What I'm trying to achieve is better breathing at top end without sacrificing low end, mid range and fuel economy. I guess this is the most balance set up. But what do you think?
The piping will probably be bad. Stick with drop-in la seriously. The metal mesh type is a balanced setup but you just need to keep monitoring the dirt since filtration isn't as great.

Open pod will kill your blacktop FC la taiko

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Whether they add this or that... engine is still CRAP! No low-end torque response! Hell... even a 2-year old MyVi (A) can overtake it EASILY! No need to say MyVi... a 20-year old Saga Orion 8V can do also.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience