Apexi Open Pod problem

Andy214

Apr 19, 2005
Hi to all sifus,

I just installed the Apexi open pod on my Wira 1.3... using stock connecte (piping and muffler also stock). The sound was nice but when I press too much oil pedal, the sound went over (like 'crowded' or 'stuck', extremely noisy and not nice already), is it like that or there's something wrong? Hard to explain the sound, something like the air is stuck in the metal kinda thing... Oh ya, when the car is idle, the sound ain't that bad, but it went worst when the car is moving...

Any ideas?

Dougster

Known Member
Jul 17, 2004
Kay Elle...
members.cardomain.com
reply...

Andy214 said:
Hi to all sifus,

I just installed the Apexi open pod on my Wira 1.3... using stock connecte (piping and muffler also stock). The sound was nice but when I press too much oil pedal, the sound went over (like 'crowded' or 'stuck', extremely noisy and not nice already), is it like that or there's something wrong? Hard to explain the sound, something like the air is stuck in the metal kinda thing... Oh ya, when the car is idle, the sound ain't that bad, but it went worst when the car is moving...

Any ideas?
Im not a sifu but i can share my 2 cents.... once u replace ur stock air box with an open pod, exposed, drop in etc filter...ur gonna have a change in sound....basically its gonna be louder... If the sound is there and it results in a drastic increase in fuel consumption and a drop in performance.... check ur air ram and the filter itself, make sure it doesnt vibrate and is installed properly.....
p.s - ur gonna feel the effects of the filter more completely after u install ur piping = extractor (especially), pipes etc... coz now uve got more air going in, but a restricted amount coming out....
just my 2 cents.....cheers

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
u know y got such sound or not?? it's bcoz usually when u put the air box it can reduce the sound of the engine.. after u change to open pod it can reduce the noise anymore.. so it will hav such sound.. especially small displacement car.. the sound wont b tht nice like big cc 1..

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
the sound is normal...when u throttle a bit..the amount of air sucked in is not so much...so the sound is still a bit like natural...but once u full throttle...imagine the amount of air get sucks in via the air filter...tat is y it make a fierce growling sound

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
hahaha...fred taikor weber is super growl growl sound coz all the air been sucked in thru...not 1...but 4 FOUR...inlet...woo hoo...imagine the surp surp sound when tekan throttle

Andy214

Apr 19, 2005
I understand that the sound is going to get louder and more fierce + nice. BUT, at certain point, it gets over, like I said, as it you compress the air inside metal box and you can hear the pressure and metal sound, don't really know how to explain, but the sound is unbareable even I haven't floored it..., you can hear the sound surrounding the whole car...

I'm not sure if this is normal, I read from other thread that it's loud, but they said the sound is nice, but mine is, I think, somewhat different...

Like Dougster said, which my friend also told me, could be the piping because more air going in but restriction air going out... but not sure if this is true, logically speaking, I think quite possible, but any sifus/anybody have any experience or know about this?

What about the connector to the Open Pod? I'm using back my original connector, would it affect in any way? Anybody used the original connector and have same problems?

As for dop in performance, I can hardly tell as I never floored it before after I fixed,... can't take it... but for pickup during first gear, I think it gain in a lot of performance...

As for vibrate, I think it might because,... when the man fix, he didn't use the bracquet (dunno why he dunno how to fix the bracquet?), he just use someting to tie the connector to the radiator hose (I think)... During idle rev it doesn't vibrate so far, but I'm not sure when driving...

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
ok...like this...have u tried b4 other open pod or this is ur 1st time changing 2 open pod...

last time when i was using apexi...the sound at low rpm is diff n when the rpm reach red line the sound becomes very very loud n produce very loud growl....but it wasnt loud enuf for me so i change 2 HKS powerflow...now it really quite loud

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
How about tuning problem? Maybe when u tekan full throttle, the air fuel mixture was already too rich so that's why u get that laggy feeling like your engine is drowning...drowning with too much fuel ( rich mixture )

thteh86

2,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Subang Jaya, Ma
Visit site
Yong_5290 said:
ok...like this...have u tried b4 other open pod or this is ur 1st time changing 2 open pod...

last time when i was using apexi...the sound at low rpm is diff n when the rpm reach red line the sound becomes very very loud n produce very loud growl....but it wasnt loud enuf for me so i change 2 HKS powerflow...now it really quite loud
wah taiko yong....now ur car like lion d eh...hahahahahah

Andy214

Apr 19, 2005
InitialD said:
How about tuning problem? Maybe when u tekan full throttle, the air fuel mixture was already too rich so that's why u get that laggy feeling like your engine is drowning...drowning with too much fuel ( rich mixture )
Now you remind me... I haven't tuned my car for years... But my car engine has got problem for years, it will jerk/vibrate during idle, when the air-con fan turns on, have chnage quite a lot of things but still the same... sometimes, it gets really bad vibrate especially when the engine is hot, serious untill can off engine...

WHen I went for tuning very long ago, they weren't able to tune my car, because of the jerk, my engine rpm will run/drop, I think I remember seeing the screen, 700++ 900++ 1100++,... can't really remember up and down... gone to a few shop, and they doesn't know what happen, got two mechanics said that my engine is out of place (caused by accident...),... but they cannot be sure untill they check it thoroughly...

Oh ya, one more thing, I went to USPD (was still alive then, lol), the foreman/owner sees and said it's the IC Chip thingy spoilt, need to change RM1000+,... and he prove to me by adjusting my rev/rpm higher and the ill jump up and down (no rpm meter but can hear the engine rev high and low),... but when I asked him, guarantee that is the problem? and if I change the problem still there can refund, he refuse so I didn't change.... then got a second hand from my uncle for half price, at first my engine got better but after driving a while, it's back...

MrKoo

Known Member
Sep 5, 2005
KL
wahh.. so many sifus on air filters.... :)
I got question ar since so many sifus already here.. hehehee

My car is carb 1.3 .. I went to one shop that sell KNN filters .. i ask a person in charge's advise about which KNN filter is good for my car and he said Drop-In one is better..

So, i ask can my car use the Open Pod one or not? he say "Not advisable.. becoz open pod easier to suck in hot air and fuel consumption also might go up.."
True ar? want to ask all of you open pod air filter users... Reli need advise here..

2) Is there any difference with drop-in and open pod filters?

3) Is wat he said up there true?

4) i reli so blur.. I actually wanted get HKS super power flow wan.. but i wondering is it suitable for my car or not?

plz plz n thank u Veryy much..... :smile:

now after i hear andy241's problem also i worried ady la... Andy i hope u get ur problem solved soon buddy..

EVO3gsr

Known Member
Jul 22, 2005
KL
MrKoo said:
wahh.. so many sifus on air filters.... :)
I got question ar since so many sifus already here.. hehehee

My car is carb 1.3 .. I went to one shop that sell KNN filters .. i ask a person in charge's advise about which KNN filter is good for my car and he said Drop-In one is better..

So, i ask can my car use the Open Pod one or not? he say "Not advisable.. becoz open pod easier to suck in hot air and fuel consumption also might go up.."
True ar? want to ask all of you open pod air filter users... Reli need advise here..

2) Is there any difference with drop-in and open pod filters?

3) Is wat he said up there true?

4) i reli so blur.. I actually wanted get HKS super power flow wan.. but i wondering is it suitable for my car or not?

plz plz n thank u Veryy much..... :smile:

now after i hear andy241's problem also i worried ady la... Andy i hope u get ur problem solved soon buddy..
open port filter can suck air directly..but plz make a heatshield and CAI so tat cooler air can be go thru ur engine bay for ur air filter to suck

drop in is the easiest way to uprgrade ur stock filter but no 'sound'.....no fun lo.....like nothing...

hks super power flow same wit any brand open port..but plz take note tat hks powerflow hv to change filter every 10,000km tat wil cost u bout rm100....

Oct 4, 2005
if a fuel injection car is fitted with open pod filter , will the effect be noticible?? coz i heard the maf sensor will detect the extra air coming in and will adjust the fuel injected thus the difference wont be much. is this true?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

Have a Waja year 2002. Was thinking of leathering up the interior. Wanna get the seats, door panels, centre console and dash done. Looking for something that doesnt feel spongy but nice and firm. Any idea on where this can be done and also some tips on leather selection would be good. Also rough cost would be nice. Thanks guys.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience