Open pod on Automatic car

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Having question, which alot people said that open pod was`t suitable on automatic transmission.
I have few numbers of friends installed open pod on their automatic myvi, vios, persona, accord, civic and 350z also having good result on performance increase.
Another weird answer from a friend with 350z roadster is better fuel consume after installing a long ram open pod + CAI with heat shield cover.

I`m currently going to do a short ram intake with heat shield cover for my 1.5l automatic almera.
Asked most of the place which they said this is a stupid idea, I not gonna get any improvement from this installation.

Another few answer get from other people said that, It should be better on mid and high rpms, but will be suffer with low end. And it is very subjectively, depends on car models, and also depends on driver styles. And also, with my current installation I need to change a new muffler and piggyback unit to get better performance gain from my Open pod.

Currently I had install Electronic Throttle Controller, Ignition Booster, Exhaust Sport Cat, Mid box with new new piping size, Voltage Stabilizer, and also Brisk Iridium spark plug.

Went to a performance shop in sunway, which he said that, installing a turbo to current engine is impossible, change another engine for my car was also nearly impossible, due to small space in engine bay, I can only do basics on my ride.

I was considering on doing enclosed open pod with cai which like KNN apollo those kind, but no space to fit in apollo and also the cold air hose, had tried few brand.
End up now I going to install a Short ram open pod intake with heat shield, together with a piggyback unit.

I wanted to know whats the comment and recommended from all people.

My ride is an automatic 1.5L Almera.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro, I respect your passion. Seeing you spending so much and changing so many things to make your car more fun to drive, I can conclude that you really enjoy driving. Especially spirited ones. Sorry to break it to you, but you got the wrong car as a base to begin with. If you got a vios, it would be easier to increase performance and easier. But do not fret, your car cannot be a skyline but there are still ways to make your car better to drive.

First of all, try to shop for a K&N drop in filter. Those that fit directly into your air box instead of open pod once. Drop ins are good for auto cars. I still do not understand that logic behind why open pod are not good for auto cars, but that is what many have tested and testified. In some things, we don't need to pay to learn. We can learn from others. I do see that you are very interested in open pod. I think there is a possibility of using open pod (not entirely sure), but you will have to go with Long Ram pipe instead of short ram. This is tested and verified by some of my friends. I know a guy who used K&N 6" with long ram on his auto Blacktop 20V. Response is beautiful. The ram pipe needs to be long enough as it acts as a collector and accelerator for the air mass entering your engine. A pipe that is too short can only benefit very high rpm operation because at lower revs, there wouldn't be enough air to fill the pipe thus causing pressure and velocity drop. You need the air to rush and push into your engine, not lag and stay at the pipe.

Second, you can change your muffler into a good brand S-flow muffler such as Tanabe Medalion G-Power or FGK. Do not think of going straight slow. I learned things the expensive way. And also keep the stop piping size. If your Almera piping is 1.75" (for example. I do not know what is the size), find a muffler that has and inlet of 1.75 - 1.8". You can also change your midbox to a "spiral" type bullet but not too big diameter. Try to stick to the diameter size as close as possible. Changing to straight flow will cause poor response, poor fc and a drop in torque throughout your powerband.

Thermal wrap your extractor at least. You can wrap your whole exhaust if you got enough money. Change to good plug cables such as NGK or BSI if they have for your car. Change to iridium spark plug (you can go 1-2 number lower on the heat range due to our climate).

Use good motor oil and oil filter such as Motul oil and K&N oil filter. Expensive at first but it has a super long service life. 10000 km service interval but if you drive gently, 12000 km is no problem.

Install emange and tune it good.

Lastly, if you read the recent article by our Godlike mythbuster, use V-Safe Energy.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Bro, I respect your passion. Seeing you spending so much and changing so many things to make your car more fun to drive, I can conclude that you really enjoy driving. Especially spirited ones. Sorry to break it to you, but you got the wrong car as a base to begin with. If you got a vios, it would be easier to increase performance and easier. But do not fret, your car cannot be a skyline but there are still ways to make your car better to drive.

First of all, try to shop for a K&N drop in filter. Those that fit directly into your air box instead of open pod once. Drop ins are good for auto cars. I still do not understand that logic behind why open pod are not good for auto cars, but that is what many have tested and testified. In some things, we don't need to pay to learn. We can learn from others. I do see that you are very interested in open pod. I think there is a possibility of using open pod (not entirely sure), but you will have to go with Long Ram pipe instead of short ram. This is tested and verified by some of my friends. I know a guy who used K&N 6" with long ram on his auto Blacktop 20V. Response is beautiful. The ram pipe needs to be long enough as it acts as a collector and accelerator for the air mass entering your engine. A pipe that is too short can only benefit very high rpm operation because at lower revs, there wouldn't be enough air to fill the pipe thus causing pressure and velocity drop. You need the air to rush and push into your engine, not lag and stay at the pipe.

Second, you can change your muffler into a good brand S-flow muffler such as Tanabe Medalion G-Power or FGK. Do not think of going straight slow. I learned things the expensive way. And also keep the stop piping size. If your Almera piping is 1.75" (for example. I do not know what is the size), find a muffler that has and inlet of 1.75 - 1.8". You can also change your midbox to a "spiral" type bullet but not too big diameter. Try to stick to the diameter size as close as possible. Changing to straight flow will cause poor response, poor fc and a drop in torque throughout your powerband.

Thermal wrap your extractor at least. You can wrap your whole exhaust if you got enough money. Change to good plug cables such as NGK or BSI if they have for your car. Change to iridium spark plug (you can go 1-2 number lower on the heat range due to our climate).

Use good motor oil and oil filter such as Motul oil and K&N oil filter. Expensive at first but it has a super long service life. 10000 km service interval but if you drive gently, 12000 km is no problem.

Lastly, if you read the recent article by our Godlike mythbuster, use V-Safe Energy.
Btw, how much to wrap extractor? I do heard a lot said that open pod is not suitable for Auto Cars as well and low end power will suffer for sure.

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

For the short and long ram method, I was facing a problem, If I do long ram intake, It would be near the radiator fans and the engine areas, which will soak a lot of heat airs, which will made more fuel to producing power ( what I heard from the installer ). If I do short ram, it is just next to the throttle body, and a quite big distance from the heat air areas, and also a nice place for me to custom a heat shield which can cover many places. The installer said they will usually recommended people to do long ram air intake.

My currently Situation is upgrade some slightly performance, Does`t matter which is Drop in or Open pod, I using Works drop in rite now, and quite sick with the oil, I planning to tried open pod, if it does`t not gain more power than drop in, I will change it back to stock air box.

And another problem is, i went to works engineering in sunway, and another few shops in there, they told me my stock air box, had a pipe lead to the engine area heat produce area, and very near to the radiator fans, it keep soak a lot of heat airs. Maybe I should post a few photo.
That is one of the reason that makes me wanna change the intake part.

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Btw, how much to wrap extractor? I do heard a lot said that open pod is not suitable for Auto Cars as well and low end power will suffer for sure.
As I said, depends on driving style, Open pod power start from 2.5 rpms above, means after installed a open pod, u will need to step harder for power gain heard from the installer, but mid and high end got better acceleration. Both performance and fuel consume also depends on the place we install the open pod, and they said need to install piggyback to get the best performance from open pod.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Depends on what brand of wrap. I got a 10 m wrap for RM 60. Some selling for RM 80. Some 5 m wrap already cost RM 50. I bought mine but haven't wrap. And don't forget the clip. They never give enough. Have to buy more. I think I will buy some pipe clips from the hardware shop. Cheaper and tougher.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

For the short and long ram method, I was facing a problem, If I do long ram intake, It would be near the radiator fans and the engine areas, which will soak a lot of heat airs, which will made more fuel to producing power ( what I heard from the installer ). If I do short ram, it is just next to the throttle body, and a quite big distance from the heat air areas, and also a nice place for me to custom a heat shield which can cover many places. The installer said they will usually recommended people to do long ram air intake.

My currently Situation is upgrade some slightly performance, Does`t matter which is Drop in or Open pod, I using Works drop in rite now, and quite sick with the oil, I planning to tried open pod, if it does`t not gain more power than drop in, I will change it back to stock air box.

And another problem is, i went to works engineering in sunway, and another few shops in there, they told me my stock air box, had a pipe lead to the engine area heat produce area, and very near to the radiator fans, it keep soak a lot of heat airs. Maybe I should post a few photo.
That is one of the reason that makes me wanna change the intake part.

Bro, in that case, means long and short ram also not suitable for your case. Use drop in is best. Engine bay heat can reduce if your thermal wrap your exhaust, but still cannot use open pod because too close to the radiator. Maybe try K&N drop in? I believe there is a reason for it being priced higher. Simota ones have some reputation of letting more dust through from my reading in some forums. Not good for engine in the long run.

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Depends on what brand of wrap. I got a 10 m wrap for RM 60. Some selling for RM 80. Some 5 m wrap already cost RM 50. I bought mine but haven't wrap. And don't forget the clip. They never give enough. Have to buy more. I think I will buy some pipe clips from the hardware shop. Cheaper and tougher.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Bro, in that case, means long and short ram also not suitable for your case. Use drop in is best. Engine bay heat can reduce if your thermal wrap your exhaust, but still cannot use open pod because too close to the radiator. Maybe try K&N drop in? I believe there is a reason for it being priced higher. Simota ones have some reputation of letting more dust through from my reading in some forums. Not good for engine in the long run.
Thats why I planning to custom made a heat shield to block it, should be work, Not sure yet, maybe I will try both short and long ram.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm I think just too much of a hassle and cost for just a miniscule power gain if any! I'd just settle for the drop-in filter if I were you, and don't expect much either.

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

This is the engine bay picture, Red line is where the open pod will be, blue was the place I planned to do heat shield

Attachments

Last edited:

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm I think just too much of a hassle and cost for just a miniscule power gain if any! I'd just settle for the drop-in filter if I were you, and don't expect much either.
Done with drop in, feel nothing game, it just same like the stock paper filter

yewly1990

Known Member
Aug 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
bro.. mind sharing the issue you had withbworks drop in..using it now..tq
Does`t feels like got better fuel consume and better torque and hp as they said, about the dust problem I does`t clearly know about it yet, almost sames like stock paper air filter, and the mineral oil that need to wash it every 5,000km was very anoyying.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I salute your passion bro.. Looks like a tight engine bay. Anyways, good luck in trying and do update us on the results.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Does`t feels like got better fuel consume and better torque and hp as they said, about the dust problem I does`t clearly know about it yet, almost sames like stock paper air filter, and the mineral oil that need to wash it every 5,000km was very anoyying.
Hahaha, I haven't wash or oil mine for more than 10K km already! :biggrin: Who says have to do that every 5K km?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello friends :driver:

Bringing to you an enhancement on a pink ride, transformed to a beauty, to a lil' red ride.

Letting the pics speak

Before

After a thorough wash.... familiar scene

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience