NEW SATRIA R3 Topic

• Thread starter shaunchen
  • Start date
  • Replies 243
  • Views 18K
S

shaunchen

Hi guys,

Let's start. So what is your opinion about the new Satria R3?

Shaun

I believe the "deletion" was due to a server database rollback. If you notice, every thread in the forum is affected...

Added : Also notice that everyone's total number of posts have also been reduced since the last time?

hmmmmmmmmmm

i'll have the stock engine to unleash it's N/A potential by a proper blueprint and dynamic engine balance..

wonder how much more driveable would that be?

i'd have mine (if ever la) with 4point harnesses.. no point driving so fast only to be poorly strapped down!

Ninja, u forgot to mention about Titanize the R3 with your Titans...hahahahah

I saw one that day on the way to work. If not mistaken it was driven by Faisal. The number plate was "Satria R3"

Originally posted by shaunchen@Dec 4 2004, 16:46
Are the Titan you mentioned a complete coilovers? I mean, is it height, stiffness, and camber adjustable? How much does it cost? As for the four point harness, will it look wierd if its for everyday use?

Sierra Charlie
hi ShaunChen

yes it's a complete height adjustable coilover kit with choice of spring rates (during purchase) and damping tuned appropiately.
YES it's camber adjustables as well, something we can achieve without the use of camber adjustable pillowball mounts..

do check TiTANs out,

TiTAN suspension in ZTh

proudly Malaysian! B)

for a Satria GTi / equivelant
RM2800 installed and aligned, 2 free tune-ups, 2 years warranty.

4 points harness? well.. beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, for me, i like functionality :)
i use mine everyday.

it's repairable, servicable, tunable and has high re-sale value too :)

Originally posted by shaunchen@Dec 3 2004, 17:43
Hi guys,

Shaun
hi,

as a proton user and a car enthusiast, i think more could be done.

firstly, why specify oh so expensive seats? RECARO SR4 costs RM3000+ each (called recaro and asked) and even if they got it 'cheap', being a bulk purchase of 300 seats (150pairs) it still would have cost more than a set of SR3s (which costs around rm1500). The only thing different about these seats are the headrest portion is more rounded than the sr3.

secondly, why didn't they spec a carbon fibre bonnet like their prototypes? unable to pass JPJ regulations? okay, could be, but couldnt they instead come up using ALUMINIUM? i mean proton motorsport division could have the resources to fabricate 150 bonnets, fenders and rear tailgate. Think of an R3 with these lightweight parts on it. Think EVOVIIIMR with its alu bonnet and roof. THINK about using the extra money that could be used to fabricate this all important lightweight items instead of buying ultra expensive seats that people can try to steal. I sure think RM3000 for each car can buy lots of aluminium parts. a carbon fibre rear tail is negligible in weight if the original one is made of fibreglass in the first place.

(most probably proton does not want to be saddled with the added costs of manufacturing different spare bonnets and keeping them for those people who actually drive fast and crash their R3s - goes to show how not so far Proton is willing to go)

thirdly when the press blurb says we kept the weight down by not using spotlights isn't very convincing.like you dont have anything else to say...and a blurb stating that its time around sepang is about 2.55, so? what about those ppl who dont really know how fast a stock gti makes in sepang? better to state that it goes 10sec faster. Their marketing team needs more logic.

fourthly, how really good are advanti for rims? everyones talking about enkei RSe, Volk gramlight or TE37, ...is it coz the company that they met conviniently felt this was good enough? furthermore, those rims dont really look the part, they're not 'race' looking enough. Note integras type-r, evos come with enkeis...there has to be some logic in this. BUT lucky they came with this instead of JRD or BSA...then R3 would be posting times only 5 sec shy of a stock gti! correct me if i am wrong here.

fifth, the car pumps at the most 7bhp more than the stock gti (with a mitsu ecu it pumps around 133horses) however, i am quite skeptical that it is the case as we all know that the siemens vdo system is ultra sensitive, whereby the throttlebody gets screwed up from just a little dirt. I'd believe that any 1997-2000 (early 2001)wira, putra, gti 1.8 with a mitsu ecu system will run rings round this car.

conclusion, the r3 is actually a car with expensive seats, some crossdrilled brake discs, rims, brake pads, supposedly different shock settings. Just imagine if the rims get damaged? Would the owner be willing to go back and find those advanti rims? would the owner go back and find ADVAN NEOVA tires? Or MINTEX brakepads? (from a proton service center? at their prices? you must be kidding!)...one day we'll be seeing an original r3 with cap ayam rims, brakepads and silverstone tires....wheres the magic of that? and then try lap sepang at 2min55secs. I'd buy the stock GTI over this and start fresh...even more so since proton is giving a 4kplus discount on the gti..its being sold at around 68k nowadays...like its old '99 price.

that is my two malaysian sen worth.

regards.

i really agree with u on what u've just posted....was actually looking forward to at least...AT LEAST the carbon fibre bonnet. but likeu said, they could have opted for the aluminium ones like the evos.

it's all just another way to market a car they've screwed up abit. engine wise.

Nice arguments. In fact, I was even considering the 68k Putra, which could be a better choice compared to the GTi, with GTi prices on par with the Putra. But I still have no regrets choosing the R3.

BTW, this car is also highly sought after by Singaporeans. It appeals to a different market. There are already a few grey imports heading there. Why? Because it's a manufacturer car which comes with a lot of mods you can't do to your cars easily there. And it's priced well below your basic EP3.

Just adding another 2 cents to the discussion.

actually prozac, you could have actually opted for the putra. I am hearing that the putra is actually the most stable among the wira, putra satria series of cars. Its due to the extra rigidity owing to the 2door + boot (compared to 2 extra doors in the wira and compared to the large hole .ie tailgate opening in the satrias) The boot also helps with high speed stability. You'd be able to see satrias going down the straight at full throttle wobbling slightly while the wiras and putras seem more planted. Hatchbacks have this inherent problem with the air not going around the end too smoothly. And sometimes, having a tail seems to enable a driver to judge better when its gonna swing out.

The proton races (not the PROTON motorsport ones but the usual ones) at pasir gudang is an even better example. Do you know that you're allowed to run a ported head for the GTIs but not for the 1.8wira and putra? the reson being if with the same setup, the putras and wiras will beat the living heck out of the GTIs due to superior handling. Somehow, the organisers want the field to 'recognise' the 'superiority of the GTI (but its down to the extra power). whereas, its otherwise.

I think that proton should have come up with a putra GTI R3. it has a coupe styled body, I think image wise, this is much better. Or they themselves believe too much in the 'GTI' moniker that it has to be on a hatchback. (or actually, they had tons of satria bodyshells lying around to be made compared to the putra in 1999.)

Yeah I almost bought the Putra. For a start I would be driving it the moment I drop the downpayment; which I almost did the moment I saw it in the Selayang PE.

But then again, I have no idea how long the ones in the showroom have been there, being Mitsu ECU and all. Plus they removed the ABS and airbags so it made things a little harder to decide. I was also worried about the availability of spare parts, as in bodykits/panels in case there was an accident.

As for handling, I believe even a Kelisa can whack the cars mentioned with the proper suspension setup on the right track...hehe fans don't flame ya...I said "right track"; those who've been to the NCCC will know ^_^

But in any case, a good suspension setup can work wonders in handling for most cars. Mr. Ninja can attest to that ;)

prozac, agreed. but the 'right track' for a kelisa could mean tight, slow tracks...car park rallys come to mind. Fast tracks and large tracks like sepang...a car with a longer wheelbase would be better(and one with lotsa grunt).

You should also note that at speed above 140kmh, aerodynamics play an important role and this is where big rear wings come into play. Remember the merc DTM190e EVOs? with the EVOii versions, they were more stable at speed, or even what they said about the mitsu evo3, the wing generates zero lift at speed. Actually this is one reason mitsu chose the sedans for their rally cars, aerodynamic tunability as well as the extra rigidity.

regards

Originally posted by prozac@Dec 3 2004, 17:53
I believe the "deletion" was due to a server database rollback. If you notice, every thread in the forum is affected...

Added : Also notice that everyone's total number of posts have also been reduced since the last time?
It sucks, I mean the rollback, not the R3 :D There were some good debates there. Shame.

Originally posted by riggy@Dec 5 2004, 12:05
actually prozac, you could have actually opted for the putra. I am hearing that the putra is actually the most stable among the wira, putra satria series of cars. Its due to the extra rigidity owing to the 2door + boot (compared to 2 extra doors in the wira and compared to the large hole .ie tailgate opening in the satrias) The boot also helps with high speed stability. You'd be able to see satrias going down the straight at full throttle wobbling slightly while the wiras and putras seem more planted. Hatchbacks have this inherent problem with the air not going around the end too smoothly. And sometimes, having a tail seems to enable a driver to judge better when its gonna swing out.

The proton races (not the PROTON motorsport ones but the usual ones) at pasir gudang is an even better example. Do you know that you're allowed to run a ported head for the GTIs but not for the 1.8wira and putra? the reson being if with the same setup, the putras and wiras will beat the living heck out of the GTIs due to superior handling. Somehow, the organisers want the field to 'recognise' the 'superiority of the GTI (but its down to the extra power). whereas, its otherwise.

I think that proton should have come up with a putra GTI R3. it has a coupe styled body, I think image wise, this is much better. Or they themselves believe too much in the 'GTI' moniker that it has to be on a hatchback. (or actually, they had tons of satria bodyshells lying around to be made compared to the putra in 1999.)
I love the Putra. Still do, despite Proton halting its production. Have always liked the coupe form factor, much more than the Satria, although the SGTi kind of changed my opinion slightly after it was introduced. I still am baffled why Proton stopped production of this popular car.

You are right about the Putra being the more solid as compared with the Satria, due to the B-pillar structure. This is a fact.

Originally posted by riggy+Dec 4 2004, 23:19 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (riggy @ Dec 4 2004, 23:19 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shaunchen@Dec 3 2004, 17:43
Hi guys,

Shaun
hi,

as a proton user and a car enthusiast, i think more could be done.

firstly, why specify oh so expensive seats? RECARO SR4 costs RM3000+ each (called recaro and asked) and even if they got it 'cheap', being a bulk purchase of 300 seats (150pairs) it still would have cost more than a set of SR3s (which costs around rm1500). The only thing different about these seats are the headrest portion is more rounded than the sr3.

secondly, why didn't they spec a carbon fibre bonnet like their prototypes? unable to pass JPJ regulations? okay, could be, but couldnt they instead come up using ALUMINIUM? i mean proton motorsport division could have the resources to fabricate 150 bonnets, fenders and rear tailgate. Think of an R3 with these lightweight parts on it. Think EVOVIIIMR with its alu bonnet and roof. THINK about using the extra money that could be used to fabricate this all important lightweight items instead of buying ultra expensive seats that people can try to steal. I sure think RM3000 for each car can buy lots of aluminium parts. a carbon fibre rear tail is negligible in weight if the original one is made of fibreglass in the first place.

(most probably proton does not want to be saddled with the added costs of manufacturing different spare bonnets and keeping them for those people who actually drive fast and crash their R3s - goes to show how not so far Proton is willing to go)

thirdly when the press blurb says we kept the weight down by not using spotlights isn't very convincing.like you dont have anything else to say...and a blurb stating that its time around sepang is about 2.55, so? what about those ppl who dont really know how fast a stock gti makes in sepang? better to state that it goes 10sec faster. Their marketing team needs more logic.

fourthly, how really good are advanti for rims? everyones talking about enkei RSe, Volk gramlight or TE37, ...is it coz the company that they met conviniently felt this was good enough? furthermore, those rims dont really look the part, they're not 'race' looking enough. Note integras type-r, evos come with enkeis...there has to be some logic in this. BUT lucky they came with this instead of JRD or BSA...then R3 would be posting times only 5 sec shy of a stock gti! correct me if i am wrong here.

fifth, the car pumps at the most 7bhp more than the stock gti (with a mitsu ecu it pumps around 133horses) however, i am quite skeptical that it is the case as we all know that the siemens vdo system is ultra sensitive, whereby the throttlebody gets screwed up from just a little dirt. I'd believe that any 1997-2000 (early 2001)wira, putra, gti 1.8 with a mitsu ecu system will run rings round this car.

conclusion, the r3 is actually a car with expensive seats, some crossdrilled brake discs, rims, brake pads, supposedly different shock settings. Just imagine if the rims get damaged? Would the owner be willing to go back and find those advanti rims? would the owner go back and find ADVAN NEOVA tires? Or MINTEX brakepads? (from a proton service center? at their prices? you must be kidding!)...one day we'll be seeing an original r3 with cap ayam rims, brakepads and silverstone tires....wheres the magic of that? and then try lap sepang at 2min55secs. I'd buy the stock GTI over this and start fresh...even more so since proton is giving a 4kplus discount on the gti..its being sold at around 68k nowadays...like its old '99 price.

that is my two malaysian sen worth.

regards. [/b][/quote]
Why the exclusion of the CF bonnet was one of the first questions I asked Faisal (R3 marketing) when I saw the R3 for the first time, during a sneak preview. Apparently there were quality issues with local suppliers, and thus the CF bonnet was excluded. Nothing to do with JPJ regulations.

I do not question the inclusion of the Recaros and other fittings as they are nice and adds to the exclusivity. I really have no qualms or complaints whatsoever with the cosmetics side of the R3 as I think it looks subtle yet look the business. Inclusion of a four point harness would have been nice, or an engine start button just to give it a 'race' feel would have been nice too :)

Where tuning the engine is concerned, I do think you have valid points. I initially expected at least 145-150bhp in stock trim. A stage 1 ported head would have been given it some boost.

My first mod would likely be a CF bonnet with bonnet pins for safety actually, despite promising myself I would not do anything cosmetic to the car. Next would likely be a Cusco RS LSD (adjustable one way, 1.5-way, 2way). Saving up for both. PU bushings and steel-braided brake hoses are definitely in the list. So are coilovers when the time comes.

Your question about replacing the Yokos and Mintex? Hell yeah, if you are performance driven, nothing comes close to the AD07s and the Mintex are superb. You could go for cheaper alternatives, but that is entirely up to the individual.

shaunchen & crash...those seats ARE indeed yummy..but my point is...you could get a whole lot more performance parts if they just went for the sr3/mellinium pair (in R3 colors). I mean, as I said, an extra RM3,000 on aluminium parts (especially tfor the bonnet!) would do wonders. I mean, why dont they just go to autobags and buy the brac-x twin port caliper and disc system? it does work (evos 1-3 had twin port fronts), and it costs rm1,600.00. I mean that's better use of the money (since they wont spec ALCON or BREMBO, use Taiwan!),

shaunchen: 18inch on a gti with 5-8 more bhp over the stock gti isn't worth it. Try 17in te37. doesnt mean that the te37 is light you need to overtire the car. too much grip without handling and powr isn't a fun thing. if you're doing it purely for looks, by all means go ahead.

I have no qualms about the advan tires (they look good too). But i'd try bridgestone s03pole positions if i had the extra dosh.

save your money and just get the sr3s...they're as comfy (unless you're wide bodied like me) as the sr4

Honestly...do you actually NEED all those extra gauges? you want a volt meter? use the apexi turbo timer, it has both a voltmeter and a AF ratio (using the ECUs O2 sensor) and you car will be less suceptible to jokers breaking into your car and taking your DEFI. Instead of gauges, get a piggyback Air flow controller...it adds horsepower, not adds looks...as trust me...after a week, you wont even look at those gauges. Youre not gonna suddenly decide to look at your oil temp or pressure just becoz you bought all those expensive stuff. Youre just gonna start your car and drive it as usual. Youre friends will say to you ' wah..very lawa laaaa' for about a week and then they'll forget about it also. Note that in real race cars, they use a STACK system. i.e all info in one small screen in front of them. they dont have gauges cluttered all over the place like a 1970s sports car.

I swear by Momo steerings. If i had a choice, the whole world should use this, unless it had a nardi or an italvolanti wheel.

regards.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom