First compulsory Moral...now this???!!! wow!

like I said before.......moral as a "must" in sch is good.......
but we also learn english, BM, maths, history and stuffs; but how many really practise it in life?!

What was teached was meant to help; but we at the recieving end doesn't seem to practise it.....that's why we're saying "no use"!

The traditional belief that we should shove teachings down someone's throat for them to change still holds true obviously. What is even more obvious is how ineffective that has proven to be so far and yet, nothing has changed. In my opinion, morality is not always about doing what's right. Not all situations permit us to do the right thing. Morality is more about facing up to our actions and willing to bear responsibility and face the consequences when we do something wrong. Let's not kid ourselves, this is something that most Malaysians are devoid of. Many a time, fingers are pointed at one another when something goes wrong. No one wants to shoulder any blame and rectify the situation. It's always someone else that is at fault. Morality? We have a long way to go, and shoving the issue down our throats isn't going to change anything. Same goes for this new subject. If anything, all parents should attend these classes and bring their children up right. After all, it's when they are young that children have mind that absorb like sponges.

ace79 said:
And if one really do not agree with the local's govt, then, why stay here? Why don't you move away and see for yourself. Malaysia is still one of the best places to live.

Example : Singapore. Do you know that you can't be caught driving around even with a muffler that have a large exit piping diameter, that's have yet to be approved by the local JPJ? Caught as in, while driving around town. Here, does the police stops you just because your muffler's large in size?

Do you know that at Singapore, all your utility bills will be automatically deducted from your monthly salary? Here, we can hold on to our utility bills up to 2 - 3 months bfr paying right?

Do you know that families in Singapore, who only earns a total of SGD 1.2k and lower, cannot afford to send their child to kindergarden? And that they have to take a loan for only such a purpose?

Do you know that at US, if you do not have an insurance policy ( at least something like the Sihat Malaysia card ), no hospitals or clinics will attend to you?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2809180855462733379&q=parlimen

parliament in session with BN rep telling "if you dont like malaysia, you can get out". sorry mate, this is old news and has been debated to the ends of the earth.

point to note, why do you compare malaysia with worse countries in the world? why not compare with better ones like switzerland, norway...etc??? malaysia is trying to move FORWARD. to compare with 'lesser' or worse off countries is moving backwards. compare yourself with better ones...and move forward from there.

and rebut your statement, NO malaysia isnt the best place to live in. there are better ones. ones that malaysia can emulate and take all the good others have to offer and be better than what we currently are.

it's in the paper today that they're removing the book from Us.
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/20/nation/14893179&sec=nation
Ethnic Relations module withdrawn

PUTRAJAYA: The controversial Ethnic Relations module taught at Universiti Putra Malaysia has been withdrawn, and will be replaced with a new one.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the Cabinet discussed the matter yesterday and felt that sensitive racial issues should not be incorporated in a book used by students.

“This book must be seen as an important book because it is a reference for our students, and we need to take into account matters that are sensitive to all the races,” he told a press conference at his office here.

“I feel that while historical facts should not be changed, we must bear in mind that our interpretation of history is also important, that we should not raise matters that can create unhealthy situations.”

Abdullah said a new book would be prepared by a panel comprising local historians who would ensure that the younger generation would not be confused or misled.

Asked whether the current guidebook would be withdrawn immediately, Abdullah replied: “Yes, (Higher Education Minister) Datuk Mustapa (Mohamed) said so.”

The Prime Minister said there was no need to point fingers at any particular race for any action taken by a certain section of that race.

“For example, when there are terrorists who are Muslims, we do not view all Muslims as terrorists. We criticise the action taken by that group,” he said.

“It is the same with a coalition like the Barisan Nasional. Some Chinese might have done something, but the MCA will say 'we will never act that way'.

“We cannot generalise and say that a certain race will do this or that.”

Abdullah said racial issues were still sensitive to the people although Malaysia had almost 50 years of independence.

“Just look at the reaction,” he pointed out. “We are still sensitive (on race matters).

“We are still in the process of getting Malaysians to see themselves as one race that has the same aspiration.”

nicely done and worded...........but if they could have pre-empt it; this issue would never arrised!

Sigh, how am I supposed to think of those words. It can be intepreted as good and bad. Good in a sense that Pak Lah is trying to unite the nation. Bad in a sense because the govt has seem to done more bad than good, indirectly and twisting the truth. So, it can be looked at as a twist in words again.

View Malaysians as one race? Sounds good! So when do we ALL get to enjoy the same benefits and priviledges?

duke red bro, as i said in my very first posting, the politicians are usually bound to shoot themselves in the foot and screw things up themselves. how can we have a 'bangsa malaysia' with equal rights and previledges when the PM has PLEDGED that the NEP WILL (for a fact) continue to AT LEAST 2020?? (which by then is 30yrs
overdue).

I know mate, I said it with a hint of sarcasm. They always shoot themselves in the foot. It doesn't take a historian to note the contradictions in their statements.

hhehehe...i know. ;) if a historian were to file all the contradictions, the word doc file will take up 1 terabyte of space. LOL

anyway, as you are, i'm dreaming still of a true blue bangsa malaysia. till then, keep dreaming.....

We could only possibly dream on when it comes to equality.

But anyway, we have to remember that we're originally immigrants to this country; thus when equality is biased, I've basically got no grudge.

What I can't stand is, the original occupants; i.e. the actual "bumi"s doesn't seem to enjoy the same privileage and are often looked down even in todays society.

reminiscent of Australia when the Aborigines were listed under the category of 'plants & animals'.

that's totally rubbish n yet they're the "originals" from aussie; whereas all the "red hair" ppls (so called australian) are immigrants whereby the ancestors are mostly jailbirds or outcast!.........
but I think lately or for the past few years; Aborigines has earned their rights....but
not really sure on my comment here.
Sorry if it hurts other ppl's feeling.

b00n said:
We could only possibly dream on when it comes to equality.
I sometimes think about this too. Actually, I don't entirely mind that the bumi's are getting that extra "benefit" but the thing is, they sometimes ask for more and we would indirectly be the ones contributing to their "benefits" (can't recall that exact word to use). This is where I think it's bullshit. Worst of, majority of them are lazy pigs. They want more but they are not willing to work for it. It's just too bad that the bad ones have gained their kind a generally lousy reputation. Even though it's not fair to generalize, but there's just one too many of them to make people generalize on them.

note : this ethnic relation class is taught in UPM. did any of u notice the relation between the this posting and 'the amazing race' posting?? BOTH incidents are in UPM. isnt the class supposed to teach 'racial integration and unity'?? if teaching this class is supposed to teach people to be more 'tolerant', then i live in fear of what might become of the future (with regards to the fracas in the video). Won't you??

teach.....learn....& practise........3 different actions....
it was teached; it was being learned; but sadly...was never being practised in real life...

*sigh*

hahahaahah...now u see how and why NST is sometimes called 'ass wipe'?? read on!! justification as to WHY this ethnic course 'should go ahead'. there cant be a clearer boot licking than this. this is the true meaning of a 'govt linked newspapers'.

Monday, July 24, 2006
Deleting what's divisive in Ethnic Relations

ABDUL RAZAK AHMAD and CHOW KUM HOR
New Straits Times

The row over a compulsory university course aiming to bolster unity saw some very strong views and reactions. ABDUL RAZAK AHMAD and CHOW KUM HOR took a closer look and found reasons why the course should go ahead.

THE most controversial university course in Malaysia may just turn out to be the most important.

Just ask Professor Datuk Shamsul Amri Baharuddin. The Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia academic spent eight straight hours at the Higher Education Ministry on Wednesday, poring over the 194-page syllabus for the course in question — Ethnic Relations — with four other social scientists.

"We went through the whole module. Line by line, word by word. It was exhausting," says Shamsul, the course consultant.

This is the second time the team is going through the yet-to-be-released module, with an even finer toothcomb.

Another committee of experts will vet the module before it’s sent to the Cabinet, making it perhaps the only university course that requires screening at such a high level of government.

Reason? The recently mandated course drew much flak over what it’s supposedly going to teach the 40,000 plus students who enter public universities annually.

At the centre of the controversy is a book used as a teaching and learning guide for the course at Universiti Putra Malaysia.

Some, including officials from the DAP, complained that the book contains some very offensive assertions and interpretations of history, blaming specific groups for past ethnic strife in the country.

The row landed in Parliament on Monday. A heated debate took place and spilled over to the next day. Many from both sides of the House expressed outrage.

The explosive reaction to Ethnic Relations prompted Shamsul to keep an extra careful watch for anything in the upcoming module that might be construed as an offensive misinterpretation of history.

He found nothing, and insists there was nothing to find in the first place: The course syllabus assigns no blame for past strife, be it the May 13 riots in 1969 or the Kampung Medan clash in Petaling Jaya in 2001.

"This course was and continues to be screened, very, very, rigorously," says Shamsul.

So what went wrong?

How could offensive and divisive material turn up in a guidebook that’s supposed to be used to teach Malaysians how to get closer to one another?

The story starts with a government initiative two years ago. Concern over the state of unity in the country prompted the Cabinet to set up a National Unity Advisory Panel in May that year, along with a slew of proposals that included a university course to help promote unity.

A compulsory university course trying to achieve that aim already existed then. It was called Islamic and Asian Civilisations (Tamadun Islam, Tamadun Asia or Titas).

"But it was felt unity needed a much more ‘balanced’ perspective than just knowledge about Islamic and Asian civilisations. It was a balance the Ethnic Relations course was designed to provide from the very beginning," says Shamsul.

Instructions went to the Higher Education Ministry to create the course. The plan was for Titas, a four-unit course — meaning four hours of lessons per week — to be halved to two units. Ethnic Relations would take up the remaining two units.

The ministry assigned Universiti Teknologi Mara to serve as the course design secretariat. A multi-racial team of about 20 academics from various fields was assembled. Meetings, conferences and evaluations were held over the next 18 months.

The team organised about seven main themes for the course. They broke into smaller groups to write the content for each chapter. A rough course outline was then sent out to universities for feedback and to find out what each would need to teach the course.

It was decided that universities ready to offer the course should go ahead. Others would wait for the formal rollout at the start of the 2006 academic year, which began last month, though an announcement is yet to be made.

Ethnic Relations will run for one semester — half an academic year. No grades are applied — one either passes or flunks — but a degree will depend on a pass.

Some universities like UKM and Universiti Putra Malaysia decided to begin teaching the course immediately. The latter produced its own teaching guide, the source of the controversy.

Deputy Higher Education Minister Datuk Ong Tee Keat says the guidebook, edited by two UPM academics, Jayum Jawan and Zaid Ahmad, contains a collection of articles written by others.

It was those articles that contained the offensive assertions. A police report on them has been lodged.

Some MPs who have taken a look at the material couldn’t believe what they saw.

S.K. Devamany, the Barisan Nasional MP for Cameron Highlands, pointed out some clumsy translations in the guidebook that added fuel to the fire.

"Some of the translations from the source materials used in the guidebook are highly suspect," says Devamany, a former linguist who graduated from Universiti Malaya with a degree in Bahasa Malaysia and Malay literature.

"For example, in page 79 of the guidebook, it says Suqiu (a Chinese organisation) wants to question the social contract. But instead of mempersoalkan (question), the word used in the guide was menghapuskan (destroy)."

Some, even in the ruling BN, also disagreed when the Ministry of Higher Education initially offered merely to amend the mistakes, though the Prime Minister later said the book would be withdrawn.

"The ministry’s (initial) stand to back the contents of the book was a step backward," says MCA Youth chief Datuk Liow Tiong Lai.

"The book should not have antagonised. There is no need to open up old sores like the May 13 episode again," says Johor Umno Youth chief Razali Ibrahim.

Others, like Chong Chen Jien, the Kuching MP from the DAP, went a step further: "The book not only contains typos but distortions.

"This (the guidebook) could make non-Malays feel like they are of an inferior race," he says.

Chen adds that the guide may not fall under the ministry’s definition of a textbook, but it’s still "something students need to read to pass the course exam".

Despite the criticisms, many believe the course is still very much needed.

"It’s absolutely necessary to teach about the country’s ethnic relations," says Dr Lim Teck Ghee, director of the Centre for Public Policy Studies at the Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute.

"The subject is important in its own right. Similar courses are being offered in many leading universities including Harvard, Cambridge and Oxford, at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels."

He says such a course is relevant to what is happening in this country and will help in nurturing a generation of young Malaysians who are challenged to critically discuss and analyse some of the most important issues pertaining to our society.

"And the best way to deal with troubled episodes in our country’s history is not to shut our eyes and minds to them or ignore them but to discuss them in a factually correct, politically neutral and intellectual manner, which is not as difficult as it sounds," he says.

But others feel that unity is not an easily taught subject.

Ayer Hitam MP Dr Wee Ka Siong recalls how he managed to better his grades in a pro-unity course he took in university.

Wee, a civil engineer who graduated from Universiti Teknologi Mara, used to get B-minuses for a race relations course.

"So I decided to answer the following year’s exam based on positions I felt my lecturers wanted to adopt on race relations, instead of what I really believed.

"I got an A. So spouting theories on inter-ethnic relationships won’t work. It’s what you do that counts. You must walk the talk," says Wee.

Expectations are high for the course. And for some, what the controversy unearthed is unsettling.

"I’m a bit surprised that some academics appear to have taken a stand to apportion blame on incidents like Kampung Medan and May 13. It’s a reflection of how ethnicity is still dominant in all spheres of our lives," says Ibrahim Suffian from the Merdeka Centre, which conducts opinion polls.

For Shamsul, the damaging assertions in the book reinforce why the course is needed.

"Such views are held even by some university lecturers, as the guidebook episode seems to indicate. It still doesn’t cross the minds of some people how they can cause anger. It shows a systemic insensitivity and insensibility, something the Ethnic Relations course aims to correct."

He says that in the heat of the debate, some of the words used to criticise the guidebooks almost became as "strong" as the offences pointed out. To him that’s a problem also worth pondering.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom