[DIY] Oil catch tank

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Izso said:
Erm.. I'm confused. What is it you want from me exactly?
Just you can help me to figure out how that oil catch tank works...TQ

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Just you can help me to figure out how that oil catch tank works...TQ
Meaning yours is already attached? Installed by your mechanic? Got pictures? Should be same concept. PCV connected to OCT and crankcase cover connected to a breather

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Izso I need your help to tell me how is my oil catch tank work in this setup my bloody mech don't want to tell me how he do it. The reason for this setup is due to my V6 engine split to much engine oil from breath hose cause the engine oil less very fast but with this setup the problem solve but I not very sure how it's work.
Iszo if you notice this picture the oil catch tank have 4 hose 2 from head another 2 attached to some where else but not for breath I cant really see where it go to so in your opinion if another not for breath where else it will go to? back to oil reserve?:confused:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Iszo if you notice this picture the oil catch tank have 4 hose 2 from head another 2 attached to some where else but not for breath I cant really see where it go to so in your opinion if another not for breath where else it will go to? back to oil reserve?:confused:
I can't see the pictures in the office, I'll check out the picture when I get back and let you know

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
From what I can see, the output from the rocker cover is fed back into the can and I'm guessing the other hose goes into a filter? Or is open to the atmosphere? Can you take pics of where the hoses are connected to?

In my case the hose coming from the rocker cover is connected directly to a small mini filter which releases to the atmosphere.

Oh btw, your car looks turbocharged. Perhaps this mod is to retain cylinder head pressure? I don't know. That looks like a custom OCT.

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Izso said:
From what I can see, the output from the rocker cover is fed back into the can and I'm guessing the other hose goes into a filter? Or is open to the atmosphere? Can you take pics of where the hoses are connected to?

In my case the hose coming from the rocker cover is connected directly to a small mini filter which releases to the atmosphere.

Oh btw, your car looks turbocharged. Perhaps this mod is to retain cylinder head pressure? I don't know. That looks like a custom OCT.
Maybe connect to filter which I can't see it. Open to atmosphere is not quite possible because it does not serve the purpose to solve the engine oil gone missing issue.

Bro you are right this setting is somehow to retain the cylinder pressure to re-solve the high pressure from cylinder head if using normal setting few spin I need to top up engine oil already. Yes it was custom OCT

Bro thanks for your time for explaination.

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
@Mines998 : Bro,i think your OCT is connected wrong way ~ the one with blue hose saying Samco Sport is the PCV valve which oil vapour is come out,other just ordinary breather...... PCV is design to release extreme pressure cause by high rpm runs or high boost pressure if the engine is a forced induction,while breather just helps and there might be some oil too,IMHO you should make a Y connection between the PCV and the breather for optimum Oil Catch Tank operation =)

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Just to share my experience,don't overlook at this OCT,as it may save your life......the story is like this,i have upgraded my Turbo,Intake Manifold and Throttle Body,so the oil breather/PCV valve from engine has no where to go but vent to atmosphere,my mechanic just put a small filter "look like a open pod but in miniature size" to the outlet.....one night on full moon midnight,i went to play touge with few friends on a mountain pass,as it was a mountain road,there was alot of low speed corner and inclines,so need to rev high and full boost almost all the time,the oil from the engine had been forced out though the breather by a frightening amount,the oil can wet whole wishbone/suspension/engine compartment and tyre ....then out of suddenly the car just over turn 360 degree when i try to take left turn,no noise at all from tyre when it happen "common sense is when a tyre start to lose grip it ill make screech noise before it lose grip completely".....luckily no car at opposite road and i manage to stop the car in time.....after checking the car and found the whole tyre,rim and brake are covered in engine oil.....when check on oil level found decrease nearly half of it's capacity.....so this Oil Catch Tank is very helpful in keeping your engine clean and keep u safe also....i can say this is a MUST for a Forced Induction engine as more pressure are building inside the engine ~

kenchoo

For those with high pressure on PCV Fuelfilter may not last , can get the air filter from machinery shop.
Is less than RM 50 to DIY and last for years. I got one in my car use for more than 4 years. Only need to maintenance every oil changes. And I use cheap palm cooking oil for my car to replace the semi-synthetic lubricant oil.

Attachments

wafuk

May 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
my understanding is PCV valve works on vacuum concept, i.e when pressure in head is less, pcv valve detects pressure in intake manifold and therefore remain in closed position. when pressure in head is more, pcv valve opens to release air and breather tube feeds in air to maintain 'vacuum' condition.

i would like to know what happens when modding this config, i.e from pcv valve to OCT and intake manifold is plugged, therefore no connection to intake manifold from pcv valve. Does the PCV valve still functions?

kenchoo

Yes, PCV valve works on vacuum the installation should be so way like the diagram.Do not removed any original pipe on PCV just Cut the PCV line on half way then connect the Oil Catch Tank or PCV Fuel-filter it were catch the dirty oil recycle from the Throttle body to the intake manifold.

Attachments

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes, PCV valve works on vacuum the installation should be so way like the diagram.Do not removed any original pipe on PCV just Cut the PCV line on half way then connect the Oil Catch Tank or PCV Fuel-filter it were catch the dirty oil recycle from the Throttle boy to the intake manifold.
That's a very good idea actually. I'm gonna go back and modify my Wira OCT design again!

wafuk

May 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
That's a very good idea actually. I'm gonna go back and modify my Wira OCT design again!
that's the proper way to install OCT actually, as per kenchoo's diagram.

my query is that sometimes people just install from PCV valve to OCT only, then no more connection to intake manifold, i.e OCT outlet release to atmosphere. what happens then? PCV function or not because no more vacuum, right?

kenchoo

I get this idea from the Water4gas e-book which i bought 4 year ago. And I use air filter from Local gas hardware company.The brand Airtec and very lasting, i have use it for years. I keep doing modification till last year, that Birth of my Lovely daughter, now I spend more time with family rather than modified my car like crazy last time. Any one who like to DIY can also refer to my blog Hydroxgas Drycell.
For those like to make the OCT like my there are some importance issue must refer. Refer to the picture for more detail.

Attachments

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello sifu here.. really need some advise on 4AGE 20v engine..I have using my BT for few years. So far very satisfied with it without any problem recently my car have start becomes sluggish...especially at light throttle and low rpm(2k-3k with load).. i ask some of the pomen here they said maybe is O2 sensor.. and i just change it already... but the prob still there... some said distributor.. and i have change it... but its the same... so penin.....:confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience