citric acid to remove radiator rust

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You know guys, I admire the chemistry and the work done here in testing and all but the simple thing is, as long as you maintain the car 100%, it'll work 100%.

Whether there's rust or not in the block, only determines how much more often you need to flush the cooling system. Let's take uponriversky's car as an example. He has rust in his block and is worried. So he would flush his coolant every 5,000km. My Wira has no rust and is clean throughout, I wait for 20,000km before flushing once.

That's all really.

And that's why it's crucial to use the right coolant because coolants have rust inhibitors built into the fluid and as long as you use distilled water, no minerals or whatever will react with the block or water to result in deposits or acidifying the water etc.

For those who have rusty bits now, if you can change it - just do it. If you can't change it (like the block) just flush what you can and do it in shorter intervals compared to the average Joe with no rust issues. That's all really. The block will super heat the water in the water jacket anyway and a hot block + oxygen = high chances of rusting will happen.

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
yes..wont be rust if change coolant every 10k km...but use good brand of coolant red or green colour...normally toyota got own coolant red one for old toyota and new coolant for new model start from new altis,vios,camry,hilux and other model(import car CBU)
of coz cant use pipe water to fill radiotor tank..no oily one ma.
cheap way to cool down radiotor finally end up to pay high to replace if anything happen like radiotor rust or break leak,water pump...engine over heating...

amirmambo

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Subang Jaya
Hahahah brother youre one daring chap to just slumber test it out :nurse:..But then again,glad that it all worked out well for you,i think ill give it a test aswell,my car 10years old edi hehehe :idea:

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
Uh.... it's not my discovery. LOL

Credits go to uponriversky for having the balls to try it on his newly rebuilt car!
thanks for that, my balls were as big as peas when conducting the experiment, but as day passes by i gained confidence it grows back to normal size hahaha:rofl:

my car does not rumble, temperature is stable, and ive checked the radiator water solution almost every morning till today and solution has consistent blue colour and nothing looks worrying yet, im going to do this for another month, only then ill be fully confident that my experiment was safe

how u know i just had my car rebuilt? :confused:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thanks for that, my balls were as big as peas when conducting the experiment, but as day passes by i gained confidence it grows back to normal size hahaha:rofl:

my car does not rumble, temperature is stable, and ive checked the radiator water solution almost every morning till today and solution has consistent blue colour and nothing looks worrying yet, im going to do this for another month, only then ill be fully confident that my experiment was safe

how u know i just had my car rebuilt? :confused:
I think you mentioned it before in another thread. Big fan of yours. :biggrin:

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
I think you mentioned it before in another thread. Big fan of yours. :biggrin:
likewise :biggrin:

just found out something useful, iron rusts into iron oxide and becomes flakey thus exposes the surface for further rust which makes iron structure weaker by days, but aluminium corrodes into aluminium oxide, a very hard material which in turn protects it from further oxidation

so i guess no worries on aluminium corrosion, but rusting iron is :)

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Let's use science...

Acid makes oxidation faster. Not cleanses it. It can be used to dissolve away the top layer of rust. However, once dissolved away, the acid immediately hit the fresh layer of metal therefore slightly oxidising it almost immediately.
All depending on concentration.....

By the time the top layer of ferum oxide dilute into the vinegar, the vinegar might not have access Hydrogen Ions (H+) to attack the innder layer...

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

likewise :biggrin:

just found out something useful, iron rusts into iron oxide and becomes flakey thus exposes the surface for further rust which makes iron structure weaker by days, but aluminium corrodes into aluminium oxide, a very hard material which in turn protects it from further oxidation

so i guess no worries on aluminium corrosion, but rusting iron is :)
Haha... AlO3 can't even be melt into liquid metal at the temperature of 750ºC. The melting temperature is much much higher than other aluminium... And it's as hard as rock..!!!

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Just want to share a Google book link on a chapter on cooling system. Some interesting points:
- Using volt meter to check coolant conductivity if there is a possibility of electrolysis in the system
- Aluminum oxide is abrasive... need to cleanse out cooling system
- Coolant used should be close to 50% strength
- As coolant ages, it slowly becomes acidic. Coolant has a reserve alkalinity to prevent rust.
- Use distilled/purified water. This ensures adequate/proper/accurate 50% coolant dilution and strength.
- Coolant with some amount of sodium silicate provides good aluminum protection
- Importance of removing air from cooling system
- ...lot's more info... go read the book

Automotive service: inspection ... - Tim Gilles - Google Books

All in all good info/book for DIYers

facebook100002037355501

From Facebook
Jul 5, 2011
Malaysia
www.autobizz.com.my
then may be dont use it in car.. use on other household item ..

i think it is a good idea to use vinegar to remove rust.

TRDi

Apr 24, 2010
eastern
Those who own old car with rust problem dont try this at home..hehe

got friend of mine try this, initially he got rust problem but couldnt be able to get rid of it. car is almost 15 years old so he read this superb idea of putting acid to the radiator..viola in 2 days the car went from bad to worse. Now car cannot move since water all pouring out from the water jacket. One thing i agree by putting vinegar or what so ever will corrode the metal faster..

Dec 14, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Don't want to take the risk of sudden water leakage or clogging. Also you won't be sure that the rust will be totally removed as you can't see within. Rust will come back and haunt you again.

sports turf

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wah! 4 years ago topic.
Bro. Sailorbob, why not use the correct product meant for radiator flush.
However whether vinegar, acid or radiator flush product that can flush the radiator means it is quite corrosive, therefore make sure after flushing with these chemical/products, the radiator system is flush clean of them, means flush with clean water then only add coolant

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

plz, i need code colour for R3 car.. its not black i think.. waja r3
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience