Removing the soundproofing material off the floorpan.

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Okay, I've researched this before asking, but there are hitches to each approach that I'm going to try. Simplified, here's what I'm doing.

The task:

Removing the soundproofing material off the floorpan, remove all rust spots, and get the interior resprayed, and finally replace the ori soundproofing material with aftermarket ones, (currently looking at 'brown bread' solution, although dynamat would still not break the budget), then lay out a fresh black carpet off an EG9.

NOT REPLACING the soundproofing material is not an option, as the previous owner did some stupid ICE wiring, and burnt some of the material black and deformed it when it shortcircuited on him.

The problem:

Those soundproofing material on the floor is super hard to remove cleanly.

Current ideas:

a) use dry ice and acetone to freeze the thing into smithereens, then remove them piece by piece <-- from honda-tech, but I don't know where to source the chemicals.

b) burn it off <--- err.. This sounds so outrageous that I'm DEFINITELY not attempting it

c) ask zth members how they previously removed thiers (if they did before)

The question:

I'm seriously considering the honda-tech approach (choice a) but
I have no idea where to source the chemicals in Malaysia... If zth members know (maybe due to their occupation?) then help a fellow zth'er out.

If you have attempted this before, and successfully did it.. I'd like to know how you did it.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
liten? for what? My EG already tip the scales at 1102kgs with B16A (or was it 1201? lost the paper already!...weigh at rubber dropoff point... dunno why heavier than the net's 'supposed' weight of 1090.. dirt and stuff probably.

if want to liten some more, first thing to go has to be the rear half, convert to SR3.. then really become kereta sambung.. ROFL!

Last edited:

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
acetone can be bought from hardware shops i think. saw a few bottles in one hardware shop before but don't really remember where la.

dry ice... no idea la.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
thanks faisal... the acetone is for removing the glue and caulk, after getting the 'tar' off. (just found out what it's called from the honda tech article)

If it wasn't for the previous owner managing to melt some parts of the tar, I could have saved the trouble of redoing it... anyway, it's all for a good cause, and the previous owner actually provides me with a good excuse to change it to a better grade soundproofing material.

I haven't seen those ice cream motorbikes anymore, or else can ask them, since they use dry ice for cooling the ice cream.

Last edited:

amdfaisal

4,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Bawah jembatan
try coming down here in selangor/KL during the school holidays la... still got those ice cream motorbikes...

during semayang jumaat also got those ice cream motor la in tabung haji hehe... maybe i can try asking them for you

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
yeah.. those school holidays might be a good idea, I haven't picked up the honda tuning mags off my sister yet (blame kelantan for not stocking the books over here)

If you can get it earlier, that'll be good, because I'm supposed to get it sprayed this thursday. Of course, that spray appointment will probably be cancelled if I can't do something about the original soundproof material.

Last edited:

darkemperor

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
shiroitenshi said:
yeah.. those school holidays might be a good idea, I haven't picked up the honda tuning mags off my sister yet (blame kelantan for not stocking the books over here)

If you can get it earlier, that'll be good, because I'm supposed to get it sprayed this thursday. Of course, that spray appointment will probably be cancelled if I can't do something about the original soundproof material.
sound a little scary i guess kekeke....the dry ice usually can be found at funeral shop where they sell all stuff related to funeral...dry ice they use it to put underneath the body inside coffin to preserve it from rotting....

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
shiroitenshi said:
liten? for what? My EG already tip the scales at 1102kgs with B16A (or was it 1201? lost the paper already!...weigh at rubber dropoff point... dunno why heavier than the net's 'supposed' weight of 1090.. dirt and stuff probably.

if want to liten some more, first thing to go has to be the rear half, convert to SR3.. then really become kereta sambung.. ROFL!
last time i weight my fren eg... only 1010kg...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
1010.. SR4 ah?

Bloody hell.. must be the 5 lug discs and knuckles.. oops! :P

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
darkemperor said:
sound a little scary i guess kekeke....the dry ice usually can be found at funeral shop where they sell all stuff related to funeral...dry ice they use it to put underneath the body inside coffin to preserve it from rotting....
Allright! Thanks..
Time to locate a funeral shop and get some then take out the seats (again) and start on it tommorow.

LoRiTaNaH

1,500 RPM
Aug 2, 2004
Uganda
Visit site
dry ice....

call MOX Gases Tel: 03-79554233
Fax: 03-7966389/79574434
National Customer Service Centre
Toll Free: 1-800 388 388

Sitt Tat @ Air Product 03-7962 8118

Dunno whether they will to sell for a few kilos...

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
thanks for the contact.. though travelling to KL is a bit too extreme..
Got it already.. another fella got it off an ice-cream man.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Actually removed everything already... Just finished at 11pm just now (O_o)

Stuff came off in pieces, but a lot of glue residue.. nothing the acetone couldn't melt (gosh! that stuff burns the nose!)

Like mentioned in the honda tech article, the whitish stuff was a pain to remove, and I didn't really remove much of the whitish stuff around the round thingys. So unlike the hondatech article, I didn't do a very good job of it, and just made sure it's flat, without bothering to clean it up too much. so I'm not posting pics of my cleared floorpan, as I usually do. (another reason being the death of my camera phone due to dropping it one too many times.. the phone works, but the camera won't.)

The soundproof material hasn't arrived yet, so I'm getting it painted first, and later apply the soundproof stuff.

The carpet's going in next.. currently at carpet shop being washed.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,i need some suggestion abt l5 engine..i juz install l5 4pston auto engine to my kncil..bt the engine did not respone as what i expected..it only can reach 120/km in 400m like my prvious 850 engine..anyone can help me what shld i do to increase the torque..shld i change to manual trans?:bawling:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience