Best Bang for Buck? Evo 7/8/8mr/9/9mr?

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
go for e8 or e9 and join our TT session...a lot of monster 6 speeder in here:smokin:...never heard complain bout the durability of 6 speed gb from them...as long as follow service schedule and ur foot not itchy all the time then should be no problem heheh:biggrin:..just my 2 kupang...cheers...evo FTW

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
there is one nice Evo 8 on sales outside is stock but air manifold & exhaust already modded, but can mod til 350hp on engine? I'm guessing the ECU & turbos is probably boosted further to gain such power?

But really cannot find a stock Evo 7-9 anymore?

Can some one clarify only Evo X sold here has different spec than the JDM?

romen_

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
kl
Just my humble opinion that Intake & Exhaust modifications should be welcomed?

After all you're gonna replace them yourself later, right? :D

If it's modded engine internals then it's a different story la, I would agree on looking for stock engines :)

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Just wondering is it possible to have extra 70hp just with intake & exhaust mod without additional turbo boost? Too much power might strain the 6 speed in the long run.

It would be loud with most exhaust mods yea? Do stock come with catalytic converter.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
Just wondering is it possible to have extra 70hp just with intake & exhaust mod without additional turbo boost? Too much power might strain the 6 speed in the long run.

It would be loud with most exhaust mods yea? Do stock come with catalytic converter.
it's going to be tough to squeeze out 70hp just by changing intake and exhaust.

what is your bhp power goal? 400/500/600 or jet-chasing 900 bhp?

anyway, i think your clutch will most likely wear out faster than your gearbox even if you track the car often.

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I am asking because the evo stated engine 350hp but with only intake & exhaust mods. So I'm guessing the turbo boost has been increased. Can the engine & 6-speed take such heat without modding the intercooler?

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
I am asking because the evo stated engine 350hp but with only intake & exhaust mods. So I'm guessing the turbo boost has been increased. Can the engine & 6-speed take such heat without modding the intercooler?
stock evo has about 280bhp.

not sure you are referring to which evo but i am driving an 8 gsr now with cai with heat shield, exhaust, bigger intercooler, bigger fuel pump and reflashed ecu pushing about 350hp on engine at 1.5bar boost.

however, i usually drive at lower boost (1.3 bar) to preserve my engine rather than my 6-speed gb.

average water temp between high 80s to 90 degrees and oil temp at 105 to 110 degrees when driving hard at 1.3bar boost.

even at lower boost, the car is plenty fast for me.

btw, you haven't answered what is your power goals yet...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
no wander i heard all the touge kakis said they smell white stallion smokes all the way la....so high horsepower.

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
no wander i heard all the touge kakis said they smell white stallion smokes all the way la....so high horsepower.
fastest car is the orange colour wan la... silver is second... both disappear after 2 corners... i'm always last :banghead:

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I don't have much goal on the horsepower, stock with some ECU tune & good tyres are good enough but nowadays there aren't any. I prefer handling than power since nowadays many hot hatches can do that.

Most important the car's reliability. Seems like 350hp mod is abit too heavy on the engine esp on the boost. Your Boost controller can easily set the boost pressure limit?

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
overall i still like the e7 stock looks, maybe the 5-speed gb is only the disadvantage
If you drag race a lot,EVO VII 5 speed gearbox is better than 6 speed
6 Speed is not as strong as 5 Speed and gear ratio not good for drag racing unless you upgrade it to 650hp rated Shep Trans Gear Set and Lower Final Drive which cost an arm and a leg
You don't see fastest EVO on 6 Speed Gearbox for a good reason
Besides,5 Speed is about 10kg lighter than 5 Speed IINM
Mitsubishi rated 1400kg for 5 Speed EVO VII GSR and 1410kg for 6 Speed EVO VIII GSR
As for 350hp crank,hmmm
Intake + Exhaust + ECU Flash + Boost Controller can net you 300-330whp dynojet whp or so
I'd assume with Intake + Exhaust,the ECU is tempered with in some way
If you ask me,the best of breed CT9A is EVO IX GT because it got all the right attribute to be great(5 Speed Manual but need new ratio or 4.11 Final Drive,1.5way Mechanical LSD,20kg lighter curb weight and all GSR refinement)
Except it is very rare:biggrin:I have only seen two(One Blue one for sale in Mudah early this year and one more red one being own by some dude)
Anyway,just 2 cents of my opinion from a lifelong EVO Fans since 1999

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
As for 350hp crank,hmmm
Intake + Exhaust + ECU Flash + Boost Controller can net you 300-330whp dynojet whp or so
I'd assume with Intake + Exhaust,the ECU is tempered with in some way
i doubt intake + exhaust + reflash with higher boost can get 330whp because it would mean close to 500 horses on crank.

bear in mind that i'm still on stock turbo, stock injectors and stock engine internals and if such simple bolt ons can fetch 500hp, a lot of turbo makers would go bust. :wavey:

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
i doubt intake + exhaust + reflash with higher boost can get 330whp because it would mean close to 500 horses on crank.

bear in mind that i'm still on stock turbo, stock injectors and stock engine internals and if such simple bolt ons can fetch 500hp, a lot of turbo makers would go bust. :wavey:
WTF
How can you have 330whp and 500hp on crank
It does not add up
Even if we factor in 80hp lost which is very high,you are still at only 410bhp
BHP hold no weight IMO,WHP is what matter
And yes stock EVO IX turbo can make pretty crazy HP
FYI,overall outright stock turbo record is 10.1's built by STM and make 420/420 on Mustang Dyno which translate to 460~490whp on Dynojet

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
2.)The EVO VIII MR for 109k,from what i seen in picture,everything match what an EVO VIII MR should have so can assume it is one
Wow you really can tell by just looking at those pics in mudah.my?? How would you know it's not a GSR or a converted GSR or even a converted VII (cus the price is a bit low)?
Anyway the ad has disappeared so fast so must be sold already, maybe indeed a true VIII MR at a cheap price.