Vios idling too low

tylerfoo

Aug 8, 2009
Georgetown, Pen
Hey, my dad's Vios(dugong) idling too low and sometimes can lead to engine stalling.

He went to Toyota service centre and this is what the SA told him.
"Vios is meant to be used with RON97 petrol, RON95 use d will leave carbon, that's why the ECU adjust the timing become like that. Cannot adjust timing manually also, so you need to bring your car in for diagnostics"

WTF? Vios is meant to be used with RON97?
What bullshit is this guy saying?

What to do now? Really can't manually adjust timing?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
is there a check engine light?

check your throttle body, it could be the TPS or ISCV sensor went faulty.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
wah..didnt know vios is a sports car.... :biggrin:
if u go to SC, thats the kind of answer u will get.......
u cannot adjust the throttle body screw meh like older cars? i dunno vios dugong got anot.....

Reactions: Kevinho

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is your dads vios stock? No DIYs or anything done on it? If you did the fuel filter DIY OCT, that will need to be checked. When it's full or clogged idling will suffer.

If not, I suggest you try resetting the ECU yourself, plug out the battery terminals and leave it out overnight. Next morning plug it back in and drive normally.

The others is what Yeehau said, clean your throttle body first. Sometimes you might have a slightly opened TB because of dirt or whatever that's clogging the swivel joints. If it's more-than-slightly open at idle it'll suffer too.

Vios wasn't designed for RON97 only, that's bullsh*t. Swift sport, Civic type-R, Lambos, etc yes.. Vios no. Besides, the ECU is smart enough to adjust itself in terms of ignition timing if a lower octane fuel is used so that SA fella is a dumbass or just taking you for a ride to Timbuktoo.

Reactions: Kevinho

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
is just a bunch of bs for the 95 97 story.... the carbon deposit never got anything to do with that...
timing adjustment is almost impossible done manually, it involve idling rpm, injector flow rate and ignition timing...

most of the time, over time, when car get older they do tend to be idling lower rpm, this is due to the wear off of your autoparts and they are no more in their tiptop condition as a brand new car would. A close maintenance and service will prevent this for a very long time compare to those who dont...

another most seen scenario where the car behave diff, is a changes done to the car which you are unaware of the result of such changes.

pulling out the battery and leave it for days to make sure it goes full 'reset' is a workable way, but always have decent mechanic to get it done right always make thing easier...

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
i seen real people drive new city require overhaul within first year of driving... not flood not mechanical problem, but that driver just use the car no servicing, no love for the car.. as the result.. overhaul... :biggrin:

the check light (aka engine light) will light up when if a component fail or so call recognize as fail. if a part is failing (mean going to be fail) ... the light wont up too...

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
my vios idling gonna stall also when i reset my ecu lol. the engine shake alot until the chasis also shook but after letting it idle for 10 minutes and drive 3-4km to petrol station then come back, the engine idling rpm higher abit dy, it was 400 rpm idling before this, now around 500-600 rpm.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all

My car having problem to start, especially when the engine is still hot. When i try to start, it gives 'tick' sound. I tried a few times, cannot also. Then, need to wait for a while, try again... Then finally the engine starts. Morning (or when I leave the car quite some time until the engine cool), never has problem at all.

My friend said it is the starter problem. Yeah, it is 18 year old car and starter never get changed.

Please help to verify this problem.

Thanks all...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience