Mivec 1.8

monmon

Known Member
Mar 13, 2004
Constant move
very true. it's all science here. :D

i have just realised the links dyno gives a low result, speedworks tend to give higher ones. maybe the units are different. anyhow, i also heard them talking later about in reality it's about 200hp blah blah, perhaps that's on engine. they had a conversion which shows u on wheel and on engine?

they were also saying standard mivec claims some 170hp, that's prob on engine... blah blah. god knows, i just know my car feel alright to me, but the hp reading damn low hehehe.

chelnick

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
lol... MITSUBISHI claims 165bhp for mivec......

we're definately getting less then that...

PROTON claims 140bhp (first gen GTI)

if you put it on paper.... our mivec's should be a faster then GTI's...

but if you dyno... then you'll see the result......

gspot

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
PJ
Wonders of auto engineering and marketing....
Makes you wonder like nuts! :D

monmon

Known Member
Mar 13, 2004
Constant move
i did my mivec transplant a month back. stock gave me 124hp reading at links power.

my stock gti at speedworks 3 yrs back gave me 121hp. there u go.

after i spent 5k at speedworks with their works b4. (full exhaust system, itc afc, k&n, heat shied...) i got a 148hp reading.

pretty much sold off everything i got from speedworks within the month, and went for the works offered by active power (already close shop if u didn't know hahaha)
port polish, lightened, balanced, back to standard exhaust manifold (to conform with proton production race then). straight thru muffler. fuel pump upsize, fuel regulator, rechip, high compression pistons (which i think they used the 1.6 pistons), cam pulleys... i think engine wise that's all. got 158hp.

tambah a bit of racing fuel, and a bit of fine tuned here and there, hit 164 at one stage. until someone fucked up the block, long story the 2nd part hahahaha

chelnick

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
haha i did my mivec transplant 2months back...

by middle of next year gonna finish blueprinting and PnP....

see what else i can do to the engine...

i'm trying to avoid going 1.8 mivec ;)

gibod_78

1,500 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
guys... if a 1.8 mivec suddenly loss its compression.. (RPM climbing really lembab..).. what maybe the cause?

chelnick

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
lol.. dunno la dude.... lost of compression... never happened to me before ;)

lancelot_adolph

Nov 19, 2004
putera...

not being offensive, but 0-100 kmh in 6.7sec GTi??

whoo... quite impossible, i'm looking forward to know what you hv done to it.

if as u said to order and wait, guess i'll do that then...

but i would like to know how much you guys have spent it? head + installation+ miscellaneous, is JPJ approve?

my car currently got one problem,

when it runs through some uneven roads, my steering keeps

swaying left and right; and one funny thing is that my alignment was

good when i'm sitting alone, but while another pessenger besides me,

the steering jus' move to the right side, any idea please?

thanks

chelnick

Known Member
Dec 4, 2003
lol... could be your steering bushing....

btw if you wanna go 1.8...

what you can do now is get the 1.8 block first...

do whatever you want with it ... blueprint, PnP, scribble your name or whatever...

after your finished with it then only install....

save your time from taking it apart time and time again

gspot

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
PJ
Mon,
Well to me dyno readings are just a benchmark..more like a hint or clue in the somehow neverending pursuit (puzzle)of car mods and performance. However am more keen on the power delivery across the band, the torque curves (other than the fairer kind! :P ) and air-fuel ratio. Elements for further fine tuning on road. To me, I have resign to the fact that how the car perform on the tarmac outweighs that hard humpin' on the dyno rollers..

Eh? From 1.8 to 1.6 ah? Active Motorsports.. yeah..they used to tune my car since I was using their Group N re-chipped ECU (am keeping it as souvenir..love that chip though.. real hot salsa, once pop can't stop.. :D ) Too bad they gone bust before I went further..but Autobags continued with the works around the engine (not inside)..for that 130+ atw and tuning my craving for top end. Well..those were the days..and yup..they love to use the 1.6 Proton pistons..higher compression maa! (Even team matrix was using that... ;) )

gspot

Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
PJ
Gibod,
U using the Mivec pistons on the 4g93 block ah? Maybe should check your head..err.. engine head for gasket leaks. U using 0.4 or 0.8 gaskets? Maybe should check the intake manifold too for leaks or cracks. Mivec manifolds are kinda weak especially at the engine side. If everything is okay.. need to do compression test and then check your lower.. i mean engine block. :)

Lancelot,
As Chelnick had put it.. u got too much for..ooppss free play on the steering and main culprit are the steering bushes. Mine koyak 5 months upon taking delivery of my car then. Get the Superpro PU bushes which cost around RM80 and installation should be around RM50. I did mine with another round of "balut" with some cut-out tyre tube. U can get the bushes at Pentagon Sg. Besi(Chris), Hokomoto Batu Caves, YS Khong Tmn Mayang (did mine here) or my current tuner Supertune Batu Caves. And remember.. a PU bush in hand is more worthwhile than two getah celup bush..or George W Bush or watever bush up or down there! :D

Any mods other than stock are deemed likely to be illegal but then again..there are many technical and legal loopholes..not forgetting the kopi tarik kau kau one!!

[sexual innuendos intended]

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi im driving a 4g15t so i was thing swap the 4g15 head with the 4g92 mivec head. Is it possible? I search from the forum earlier some ppl say cant but need to mod, but they didnt say need to mod what to get the mivec head to fit to the 4g15 block. Oh by the way, my 4g15t was sharing the same head gasket with waja 4g18p.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience