Little question from 1.8 mivec newbie

HanZ85

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2009
hi all zth members i juz finish my 1.8 mivec project near these days but somehow i still got something wondering cant get the answer c if can get some teaching from all the sifu's~

1.im using mivec extractor & 2.3 piping till end using 2.3 straight flow muffler,so does tis spec supports my present engine?

2.mivec 1.8 is suprisingly powerful when its on satria but when i flooring the paddle power comes very smooth on 1-3k rpm and start to roar after 5.5k rpm but when its 3-5k rpm it felts like some turbo lagging feeling like the power slightly dropping.but it will recover the power and start pushing the rev after 5.5k rpm...wat kind of condition is tis?should i apply the e manage to solve tis problem?or its the adj cam pulley setting making the powerband drop?how much digree sifu usually set for mivec 1.8?

3.my blok using 4g92p piston instead of mivec piston coz im afraid of knocking problem,in future if i wanna start new plan can i directly bot turbo on my 1.8 mivec?my blok edi done balancing job.any setting precaution from sifu's?

thanks for reading my thread ya everybody hope can get some answer from u all thank you!

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
As far as I know, the 4g92p piston has lesser compression than the mivec piston. This may be the main reason why you're not getting the power that the mivec is supposed to produce.
My suggestion is this:

1. Reset the ECU. Unplug the earth wire (-ve terminal) from the battery for >15mins. Then reconnect the earth. Try driving around for about a week and see wether the problem still exist.

2. Maybe the current setup for your exhaust is causing the 3-5k RPM power drop. Try asking other mivec 1.8 users for the correct setup.

3. If this still cannot work, retune the engine.

Just my 2 cents. :driver:

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

U can also read these thread about mivec 1.8:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-modification/2501-mivec-1-8-a.html

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-modification/9771-mivec-1-8-a.html

pijulrs

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
yes...mivec engine compression is at 11.1 but 4g92p sohc compression is lower at 10.1...you should opt the mivec piston inside the 1.8block.

HanZ85

500 RPM
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for all ur idea ya i'll try dynotune my ride wif e manage 1st try if can change it to aeroplane anot haha~i heard vteckiller was good in tis do u think?

mizi0604

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
mine also using 2.5" straight flow,the power is superb...U might need to set ur campulley back,i also faced this problem while using 1.6 mivec,but the problem solved after set the campulley...just based from my experience...peace~

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
4G92 non-mivec piston in a 4G93 block will yield higher compression than in a 4G92, due to the extra 200cc. Not sure how much, but its likely enough for Mivec application. The compression with mivec pistons in a 4G93 might be too high for long term road use.

What intake manifold are you using? most older cars without cam-phasing will suffer from the mid-range torque drop, mivec and vtecs included. This can be aided with adjustable cam pulleys. In anycase, its best to go get a dynorun and ask for a professional mechanic's advise (would recommend Thomas from GT Auto, he's very helpful in explaining his customer's problems).

Its possible that your cam pulleys are set wrongly as well, since retarded cam timing will improve low and high range torque, while advanced timing will improve mid-range torque. Yours might be retarded a bit too much.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
4G92 non-mivec piston in a 4G93 block will yield higher compression than in a 4G92, due to the extra 200cc. Not sure how much, but its likely enough for Mivec application. The compression with mivec pistons in a 4G93 might be too high for long term road use.

What intake manifold are you using? most older cars without cam-phasing will suffer from the mid-range torque drop, mivec and vtecs included. This can be aided with adjustable cam pulleys. In anycase, its best to go get a dynorun and ask for a professional mechanic's advise (would recommend Thomas from GT Auto, he's very helpful in explaining his customer's problems).

Its possible that your cam pulleys are set wrongly as well, since retarded cam timing will improve low and high range torque, while advanced timing will improve mid-range torque. Yours might be retarded a bit too much.
Agree about the piston thing. Please don't use mivec pistons in a 1.8 mivec. Even with the 4g92p piston, I think the CR should be high enough and if you consider turbo in the future, you might still need to change to low-comp pistons.

mid range torque drop? Is there any possibility that it is caused by the overkilling 2.3" piping? Just wondering... No idea...

You have a beautiful project there bro... Keep it up!

Newbienissan

Banned
Jul 19, 2010
earth
1.8 mivec you can maximum use 2.5" pipings. My friend sr16neoVVL engine is also using 2.5" pipings, I myself nonVVL sr20de also using 2.5" pipings. it works fine all the way up to redline.

unless you have mivec, just a normall 1800cc, then 2.0" piping will do the trick.

mizi0604

Known Member
Nov 6, 2008
can use mivec piston in 4g93 block...dont worry,many have done it...no problem until nowdays...

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
mine done with gsr conrod and mivec piston, but need extra 1 afc neo for a/f adjustment since the compression reach 20bar :burnout: standard mivec ecu cant supply enough fuel for that till make engine no power if not adjust properly

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

today evening, i was chillin out at outside of my house then i saw there's a iswara LMST n a wira dueling a drag test...

then during the "competition"... i heard nearly 10 wheel spins from both cars when they change gears...

is this wheelspins good or bad? does mean their car is powerful or anything? or it is related to their clutch n accelerator timing?

sifu forumers, please explain... thz :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience