Lightened flywheel

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi bros, I've been reading up on the benefits of a lightened flywheel lately and have been poisoned lol. Question is, who or where is a reputable workshop for this type of job around PJ or selangor? Thanks!! Car is inspira MT if you're curious.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
curious question....

u said uve read about the benefits...

have u read about the disadvantages?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
revs drops faster and lesser power during hill climbs or something like that.. been quite awhile since i checked up on it... feel free to google it

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Rev's drops faster due to less inertia. (inertia is directly proportinal to mass so lower mass = lower inertia = your car's momentum will drop faster when you're not revving the car)

The hill climb thing I dun think is true. No offence intended.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
yeah something like that la.... lazy wanna google for detailed info..hehehe

anyway, one of my concerns would be the combo of lightened flywheel + lightened crank pulley

wonder if the rev will drop too fast or the hillclimb thing will be affected...

drex...if ur stalking, perhaps can give ur thoughts?

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
yea the revs will drop faster but it won't bother me cuz i use free gear when my foot isn't on the accelerator. lesser power during hill climb would mean that lesser power during straight flat road, same logic here no? but that is untrue because the flywheel only stores rotational energy. and we know that the engine outputs the same amount of energy before and after the mod. since less power is transfered to the flywheel (because it is lighter), therefore more power is transfered to the wheels. i'm only using logic here. ppl's talk about lesser power during hill climb is absolutely unfounded.

anyway that's not the reason why i posted this thread.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Excerpt taken from Puma Race Engines Technical Guide - Lightening Flywheels

"Finally, you see some frankly unbelievable comments on car forums about lightened flywheels such as "they might make the car faster on the flat but it'll be slower up hills because that's where inertia helps you." Yeah right, heavy things go up hills so much better than light ones. That must be why all those trucks I overtake on the motorway come flying back past me up the next rise and then I overtake them again on the way down. A lightened flywheel has exactly the same effect as making the car lighter - no more no less. It will make the car faster everywhere - up hills, down hills, round my lady's chamber." - 4th last paragraph

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hahhahahahahaha, FUNNY shit. If you change to lightened flywheel you might be overtaken by a bus on the way up to genting. :slug:

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
drex...if ur stalking, perhaps can give ur thoughts?
niamah.,. you really know my style.....

The 'problem' of RPM drops too fast only applies and experienced by slow shifters.

-over-

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

oh belum over....If possible, i want them all weightless.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
niamah.,. you really know my style.....

The 'problem' of RPM drops too fast only applies and experienced by slow shifters.

-over-

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

oh belum over....If possible, i want them all weightless.

nyahahahahhahaha.....of course... if sebut drex only sure u answer 1...heheheh

anyway, my main concern is for track use...and also the fact that im driving a VTEC which is RPM activated.

so if while braking and downshifting for a corner...the rpm drops too fast, past the VTEC point.. abit the tak syiok la...

coz my friend's DC5-R he changed to lightened flywheel (the one that comes with Ogura Clutch), he said the revs drops faster and he actually had to get used to it and readjust his heel n toe....

and thats only with a lightened flywheel....not a lightened flywheel + lightened crank pulley combo

Last edited:

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
So it's about adapting, right?
Failure to adapt - driver problem, no?

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

When you brake, you keep the clutch engaged so that you can use some engine braking, how fast the rpm drops depends on how hard you brake because the clutch is still engaged.

In fact - lighter engine enhances braking due to lesser inertial the brake needs to counter. Engine braking is all by the bumping lost of the cycles, not the weight of the reciprocating/rotating mass (including the pulley/flywheel)

When you are down shifting especially when you are in a racing track, you heel-toe. Light engine also heel-toe, heavy engine also heal-toe, right?

In fact: drop fast rise fast = good for heel-toe control. You don't need to blip the accelerator that deep to raise the rev, thus better control on the brake pedal.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
not always the case la bro... still depends on other factors like the brake setup too i guess.. if having to brake later in the corner mebbe ok la...

but if having to brake much earlier than the revs will definitely drop....then theres the tires, suspension bla bla bla

n like i said... .he only lightened flywheel already said his heel n toe went haywire..."berterabur" was the word he used.

so if lightened flywheel+ LCP combo?? wouldnt the revs drop faster as opposed to a lightened flywheel only? <- this is actually my main question n my main concern

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
already did... i replied while u were editing... next time post 1 time laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :P

anyway.... last line of my previous post... wat think u? disregard the whole track thing...just gimme thoughts on that only

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Lightening a mass of a bigger diameter reduces more inertia than doing so on a mass of a smaller diameter.

I = mr^2 (Inertial = mass x radius x radius)

Hypothetical examples:

Flywheel, 5kg --> 4kg or -25%, 300mm. Inertial reduced by 0.0225kgm^2
Pulley, 2kg --> 1kg or -50%, 200mm. Inertial reduced by 0.010kgm^2

In both cases, 1kg is removed from two different masses.
By percentage, the weight reduction in the smaller pulley is 2x than that of the bigger flywheel.

Look at the numbers.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, I have some problem, after some investigations:

- usually when temperature passes half, radiator fan will on and once the temp is slightly below half, it stops
- problem is, sometimes even after half, the fan is still not moving causing the temperature raised high (almost red bar)
- i thought the fan broken, tried to knock the motor (suggestion from a friend), still not working
- but, when I turn the AC on, both fans (radiator & AC) are on now. Meaning, my radiator fan is working! It...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience