Lightening The Flywheel

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Hie,

I would just want to share share about this simple modification that i found on the internet that is easy and good to understand. :lol:

Lightening your Flywheel

Author : Scott Lambie

There has been a lot of talk lately regarding engine mods and bang for your buck. One of the modifications discussed was the old lightened flywheel. The mod has been used by motoring enthusiasts almost since the car was invented and even with today's modern cars, is still in use today. Now, lightening a flywheel is all well and good but, how many people really know what are the benefits, how are they produced and what must be sacrificed when bolting on a lightened flywheel.

Firstly, lightening a factory cast iron flywheel can have its dangers and is not recommended. The process of casting iron produces a metal component with a hard, fatigue resistant surface and a particularly soft core. If this hard surface is removed during the lightening process ( which it often is ) then this will seriously weaken the flywheel and could result in the wheel coming apart at high rpms, possibly taking the gearbox and your legs with it.

So how does a lighten flywheel work? Amongst the majority, there are two schools of thought concerning light flywheels. The first is that they do not contribute to power output. The second is that they do. Which thought is correct? In fact both, in a way, are correct.

If we measured the power output of an engine first with light flywheel and then again with the standard part on an engine dyno, no change in power will be seen to occure. At first it appears that the light flywheel has done nothing and was a total waste of cash. This is not the case. A dyno that shows max power at constant revs does not demonstrate what occurs to an engine's power output in real life situations - like acceleration. If an engine is accelerated on a dyno ( we are talking about a rate of around 2000rpm a second ) it would show a power output of around 20%-25% less than at the constant rev state.

The reason for this is that when accelerating a vehicle the engine not only has to push the total mass of the car but the internal components of the engine need to be accelerated also. This tends to absorb more power as the extra power is used accelerating the internal mass of the engine components and is why a motor accelerating on a dyno will produce less power than at constant revs. Also it must be remembered that the rate of acceleration on the engine internals is much greater that the rest of the car. This would then suggest that by lightening the flywheel, less power would be required to accelerate it and therefore more power would be available to push the car along.

Now, it may seen unbelievable that by removing a few kilos from the flywheel a noticeable difference to a 1000+ kg cars acceleration will be made. In fact the difference is quite noticeable and the secrete behind this is hidden within the gearbox. Everyone knows that cars accelerate at a greater rate in low gears, this is because a cars gear box basically a mechanical leaver and just like when using a leaver to lift a heavy object, the gearbox reduces the mass of the car that the engine sees. For example, in first gear an engine will see the cars mass as only around say 100kg but the engine internal mass would still remain around 20+kg .

It is now easier to see were the extra performance comes from when you lighten a flywheel. In some cases, and not necessarily extreme ones, you could effectively " lighten " a car by 20% in first gear just by removing mass from the flywheel. As the gear used increases this "lightening" effect is reduced. This is why carÉs acceleration reduces in higher gears, to almost no effect in top gear. Great for drags and tight race tracks but will not increase a cars top speed one bit.

Now if having Lightweight flywheels work so well, why are they so heavy from the factory? The answer to this is quite simple. When a lightweight flywheel is installed, smooth idling almost always suffers - more so if standard cam timing is used. If a longer period cam is used, the situation is not quite as bad. With such a cam the valves close much later in the cycle so it doesnÉt take as much flywheel energy to run the piston up on the compression stroke and the idle is by nature smoother.

Just one final point. If contemplating installing a lightened flywheel, it is much more important to remove mass which is close to the flywheels radius of gyration ( the flywheels rotating center on mass ) which is mostly found close to the flywheels outer edge rather than just all over. Due to this, it is possible to receive greater benefit from removing 1 kg from a flywheels outer edge than 4kg from the flywheels centre. If in doubt, seek an experts advice.

FROM: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7177/flywheel.html :ph34r:

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Just one final point. If contemplating installing a lightened flywheel, it is much more important to remove mass which is close to the flywheels radius of gyration ( the flywheels rotating center on mass ) which is mostly found close to the flywheels outer edge rather than just all over. Due to this, it is possible to receive greater benefit from removing 1 kg from a flywheels outer edge than 4kg from the flywheels centre. If in doubt, seek an experts advice.
This looks like a good point. :P

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
hmmm.. very good info ken.. will help to enlighten those who r thinkin to try these stuff.. anyway, i've learn about these in my engineering classes last time.. its called rotational weight.. the further it is from the center of rotation, the more power u will need to accelerate ot.. the same applies to changing to a bigger diameter rims.. now it figures rite for why does ur car feels realy heavy after changing to bigger rims.. B) me still sticking to 14".. not that thinkin bout power lost but no money to change oni.. :lol: :lol:

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
hi everyone

the article only said.. not reccomended us to lighten the stock flywheel

so.. how do we lighten our flywheel anyway?
change it?

anyone change before?
how much it cost?

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Be prepared to fork out anywhere between RM850 to RM1400. Mine weigh only 3.7KG.... damn light..can lift up with one hand.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Originally posted by sam1741@Jan 13 2005, 13:05
hi everyone

the article only said.. not reccomended us to lighten the stock flywheel

so.. how do we lighten our flywheel anyway?
change it?

anyone change before?
how much it cost?
Turbo boys normally don't change for aftermarket lighter flywheel. But they don't mind stronger clutch.

NA boys who loves high rpm and zoom-zoom aroung hills (who also loves quicker accelaration)...wouldn't mind.

this must not be confused with people who skim the flywheel in the hope to 'lighten' it mass weight.
You are actually shaving of more contact area to the clutch.

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
Originally posted by InitialD@Jan 13 2005, 13:37
Be prepared to fork out anywhere between RM850 to RM1400. Mine weigh only 3.7KG.... damn light..can lift up with one hand.
up to RM1400? is this for a replacement (lighter) one? or the cost to lighten your stock flywheel?

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by tks+Jan 13 2005, 15:36 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tks @ Jan 13 2005, 15:36 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-InitialD@Jan 13 2005, 13:37
up to RM1400? is this for a replacement (lighter) one? or the cost to lighten your stock flywheel? [/b][/quote]
TKS, I am talking about replacing it with a new lighten flywheel.

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
:blink: Hie, replacing the flywheel need so much $$$ :blink:

Lightening your original flywheel don't need that much of $$$ but quite dangerous i think. I feel a little scared after reading this.

Firstly, lightening a factory cast iron flywheel can have its dangers and is not recommended. The process of casting iron produces a metal component with a hard, fatigue resistant surface and a particularly soft core. If this hard surface is removed during the lightening process ( which it often is ) then this will seriously weaken the flywheel and could result in the wheel coming apart at high rpms, possibly taking the gearbox and your legs with it.
I don't want it to take my legs also. :( :( :ph34r: :(

I planned to lightening it but maybe a little lorr. By the way, how much does a stock proton 4G13 weights? Thank you. :(

ken12292703

Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Originally posted by tajulsans@Jan 11 2005, 12:34
hmmm.. very good info ken.. will help to enlighten those who r thinkin to try these stuff.. anyway, i've learn about these in my engineering classes last time.. its called rotational weight.. the further it is from the center of rotation, the more power u will need to accelerate ot.. the same applies to changing to a bigger diameter rims.. now it figures rite for why does ur car feels realy heavy after changing to bigger rims.. B) me still sticking to 14".. not that thinkin bout power lost but no money to change oni.. :lol: :lol:
:blink: Wow, with all those bombastic description, i am scared already. :( You are sure a good engineer. :)

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
1 question si fus...

mine was a MMC clutch cover wit 4g92 flywheel...
the previous owner lightened it edi...

i feel tat when going up hill...there no ump there...
but the accelaration is better n can rev easily

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
for proton fwd cars, it will not chop off ur legs, but go straight to your groin vertically....

for leg-chopping purposes, pls use rear wheel drive cars.....

Rigid

Known Member
Jun 3, 2004
500gram is the maximum if u want lighten ur flywheel or u might loose momentum for topspeed...

msj92

Jan 18, 2005
Selayang Baru
Visit site
Yes U are right mr Rigid. The more we lightened the flywheel, the more pick up it will be but it also reduce our top speed.
I agree with Rigid, the most that U can skimmed it is about 500 gram or maybe less. And if possible, skimmed at the outside part of the flywheel and not in the inside( near cantre) of the flywheel.

p/s :just 1/4 cent opinion

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by msj92@Feb 12 2005, 10:15
Yes U are right mr Rigid. The more we lightened the flywheel, the more pick up it will be but it also reduce our top speed.
I agree with Rigid, the most that U can skimmed it is about 500 gram or maybe less. And if possible, skimmed at the outside part of the flywheel and not in the inside( near cantre) of the flywheel.

p/s :just 1/4 cent opinion
The author of this website tells it differently. He says:

Probably it doesn't matter how heavy is the flywheel, but there must be sufficient weight at the outside perimeter to maintain enough momentum so that engine rev would not drop drastically.