Test driving cars? Is there any kinda TnC

jon360x

Dec 27, 2018
I was just wondering cuz. Recently I've been wanting to test out 86/BRZ so I've been to a couple of used dealers and even a first hand dealership. Not that I can buy one now but aim to work towards owning one in the future. Used car dealers would ask you to put a booking. to test drive the car. Does that mean I could test drive the car and not buy it? I was not sure if the booking is refundable. Even when I went to an official Subaru center that had recon BRZ and said all these cars are considered first hand when applying loans. But when you wanna test drive. A booking fee is required. Is it normally refundable? Just wondering because the concept of test drive is to really see if you are happy with the car you are interested with. Just wondering if anyone could share their knowledge on this topic.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I was just wondering cuz. Recently I've been wanting to test out 86/BRZ so I've been to a couple of used dealers and even a first hand dealership. Not that I can buy one now but aim to work towards owning one in the future. Used car dealers would ask you to put a booking. to test drive the car. Does that mean I could test drive the car and not buy it? I was not sure if the booking is refundable. Even when I went to an official Subaru center that had recon BRZ and said all these cars are considered first hand when applying loans. But when you wanna test drive. A booking fee is required. Is it normally refundable? Just wondering because the concept of test drive is to really see if you are happy with the car you are interested with. Just wondering if anyone could share their knowledge on this topic.
Is it because of special car models? Have not come across this before. Back when wife was looking for MPV we went round testing Exora, Eastar, then we switch to test SUV and bought the Chery. Later few years when she looking to change the car, she tested X Trail, CX-5 and Subaru Forester. All just sign up with them with valid driving licence and they let you test....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
BRZ/86 is not a special car to begin with so why need such deposits?? Problem is you don't have the real intention to buy yet hence you cannot argue or push them. Maybe they also can sense that you are not serious buyer hence they say like that.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
One of the things with these sort of "performance" cars is test drivers will likely drive it hard. And with all hard driving, not all drivers are capable so the booking fee will potentially act as an insurance in case you crash the car. It's usually refundable but if you smash the car it'll probably get used for repair.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
One of the things with these sort of "performance" cars is test drivers will likely drive it hard. And with all hard driving, not all drivers are capable so the booking fee will potentially act as an insurance in case you crash the car. It's usually refundable but if you smash the car it'll probably get used for repair.
Dedicated test drive vehicle have their own insurance right?

If its a niche model then i dont think the dealer will get insurance for one unit as test drive unit hence the needs for deposit.

Last edited:
Reactions: alcyon and Izso

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
didn't have issue with Hup Seng and Ingress Auto. They asked me to accelerate and throw into corners when joining the highway... open

Reactions: Izso

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
i have issues with Kah Motors. they dont allow to go through speedways/highways and cant slam the pedal. i did once on previous gen civic. terus kena ban from test drive. luckily now got another honda dealer in melaka

• Haha
Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I usually ask the salesman before I go pedal to the metal. If he allow i do it. I did it for the new vios and I've regretted it ever since. Until today I can still feel and remember the seasick wavy feel of the horrible suspension

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i have issues with Kah Motors. they dont allow to go through speedways/highways and cant slam the pedal. i did once on previous gen civic. terus kena ban from test drive. luckily now got another honda dealer in melaka
When my wife was looking for replacement for her old SUV we tested X-Trail, CX 5 and Forester only. Honda at that time launching new Civic, the sales personnel not bothered to show us the CRV, just give us brochure. We just left and was told by friends Honda is like that, very stuck up type......lol

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I usually ask the salesman before I go pedal to the metal. If he allow i do it. I did it for the new vios and I've regretted it ever since. Until today I can still feel and remember the seasick wavy feel of the horrible suspension
When we test X Trail was on given route. CX 5 same, but on request we went a bit further on another route. Forester was best, where we want to drive also can. SA even ask my wife drive faster, take faster corner, see pothole no need avoid......hhahhahhahaha

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Okay, we all know boring and stroking can add extra capacity to our engines.

One famous kit is the stroker kit. We know just by boring the engine alone we cannot increase much in cc, as the space between cylinders just isnt enough.

On the other hand, if we stroke it, we make the engine a longer stroke engine, therefore at times killing revving capabilities. Engine rebore, however, delays response.

I wanna ask your professional oppinions on this matter.
Is it really worth stroking up the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience