Any suggested solution for RB coilpack problem?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

khoyos

2,000 RPM
there are a few solutions for RB coilpacks misfiring problem,

1. splitfire coilpack
2. buy new standard coilpack from nissan original parts
3. buy kedai potong coilpack
4. run coils from other cars (example - mitsu V6 and use plug cables)
5. silicon glue the whole area of the coil - cheap solution???

any guys out there having the sickening problem and solved it? do share here...

I think if you would be driving an RB, Item 3, 4 and 5 should be omitted for sure ...

i personally prefer option 4. mitsu stock coils confirm can support lots n lots of horsepower, proven to be reliable, cheap to replace. spray it candy red, split the coils, put on MSD stickers and voila! there u go baby, MSD coils for rm200 hehehe :p

i dont think i would want to buy splitfires cos i'm not a fan of those...

anyway, anyone got a quick, easy n cheap fix to share?

:D

i personally prefer option 4. mitsu stock coils confirm can support lots n lots of horsepower, proven to be reliable, cheap to replace. spray it candy red, split the coils, put on MSD stickers and voila! there u go baby, MSD coils for rm200 hehehe :p

mitsu coil can support lots of horsepower??? do u mean rb stock coil cant support high hp???

Well if that's the case for you budget, what more can I say ... Just a note, getting a used or chop-shop item has it own disadvantages considering they would have to put up with the life of the engine as well as sitting with junk under rain, shine etc waiting for a new owner.

Something that critical I would not go for second best. Either OEM or the Splitfire's .... On top, maybe a HKS Twin Power Igniter as well ...

My two cents ...

MSD DIS 4 X 2 unit
Each unit Run 3 Coil .. use MSD Blaster SS Coil

can settle your problem
but you need $$ to settle this problem

i'm new to nissan, so i'm not going to make statements that will jeopardize my future in this forum and may lead to pages n pages of argument... i really appreciate all your advice. especially eyong on used parts. yeah. it's true. dont ever want a rm500 coil system lead to rm3000 or more in terms of engine damage... but i really believe that there is a cheapo solution that i can try before i can venture to purchasing splitfires. i'm running a standalone ecu that allows me to put on any hardware that i like, and all can be configured in the ecu. my mechanic who is running similar ecu and similar setup is running with perdana v6 coils + spark plug cables. running well with absolutely no hint of misfiring due to coils.

anyway, there are many mitsu engines (especially VR4) touch 500whp on stock ignition hardware. especially the coils...
raptorie54: i know there are lots of GTRs running way more horsepower running on stock coils. well maybe they dont suffer what i suffered, or maybe they purchased the car as a whole instead of using rb engines from halfcuts.... i need a cheapo solution bro.

cmng: MSD ignition system is yummy but my budget is limited now... simply cant afford it right now.

anyway, i found a cheapo solution after reading skylinesaustralia forums using silicon glue. i'm going to try that first. if i works, i'll report here so that budget rb engine owners can try as well. i think it'll cost less than rm30.

if it fails, i'll try perdana v6 coils. this one, dont think all RB engine users would want to try.

if all else fails, splitfires here i come!!!

thanks all! really appreciate your kind response! and a fellow forummer who is kind enough to PM me his experience on coil problem. thanks bro.
lookout for updates soon...

hey dude,

good to hear your project's going well.
if you want budget you can source for a good pair of used coil packs, if you want new its around rm300/pc! i have been using my current used pair for almost 2yrs now without any problems however went thru quite a few before finding the right ones.

Basically you should be able to check used one's by 2 things:

1. using a multitester to check the resistance
2. visibly the back of the coil packs (looks like its filled with silicone). you shouldnt be able to see thru....if you can and especially if it looks translucent or slightly blackened dont buy them!

The other thing about these coil packs is if you remove the rubber grommit, there should be a spring and carbon contacts(rb25neo doesnt have the carbon ctc). If the carbon is no longer there then you will end up wth misfiring and fueling problems...it may vary. I have personally experienced this and mind you the original carbon contacts are not easy to find and they aren't cheap.

Cheap solution, go to any spare part shop and ask for carbon contacts for distributors. they should come in a pair so might as well get 3pairs (6pcs), shave them down to fit and attach them to the spring...assemble everything back in and give it a try. It worked for me and it worked extremely well. just make sure you shave them down just nice so that they can move with the spring and not get jammed in the rubber grommit. by the way rb20 and rb25 non neo coil packs are interchangeable. If you need help give me a buzz and i can help you do it :biggrin:

hope this helps.

Cheers

Jay, i'll definitely try that! will contact u tomoro, maybe we can meet tomoro nite! thanks!

I got this problem also .... i will try a31gtst suggestion .... thanks ...
khoyos mind to share wat ECU u using ?

i also wanna fix my probs wif my coil packs... but i tot jus replace da coil packs wif a chop shop replacement for my rb20.

i hav misfiring at 4k rev drop... n accordin to dyno machine, im experiencing unstable a/f all onli at one point. according to da guy, its either plugs or coil packs, so im lookin for one....

anybody hav??? gud condition rb20 coil packs??? oem also can

mine problem is ... boost around 0.8bar got misfire... when reach 0.8bar around 4k above the engine got bom sound and car slow ...... if boost 0.6 dun have this problem ....

now using 0.6bar only ... coz can't solve the misfire problem ...

yeah, its all about the coilpacks. cant support high boost (if i say this, some people will flame me) but that's the case with my car.

a31gtst's solution is one of the cheap solutions that doesnt involve coilpack replacement...

kyoyos: Respect your eagerness to experiment on options. Now that's a true modder. Alot opt for quick solution and usually are the expensive solutions. I have also read from SAS and a few other sites on different solution, OEM vs Splitfire (with contradiction answers from some), HKS Twin Power, AEM and XS's. In fact the OEM igniter are good for 4 figure hps. If not mistaken, Jun and Top Secrets are using OEM's but they may have upgraded the ignition amplifier instead. Splitfire is a definate cheaper replacement than OEM that's for sure.

But do let us know what you find out with your alternatives.

Cheers, True Modder ...

thanks for ur support bro. i've just sent my car to workshop. going to DIY it tomoro. send tonite so that when i start removing the coils, everything wont be boiling hot.

will update on any improvements...

ok. i have tried siliconing all the coils. start up n low revs ok. but once boosting, the misfires are worse! then i thought, it must be the tuning cos last time my tuner tried to do something with ignition setting to bring out some power when the coils were not working well. had the car tuned today. NO MORE MISFIRING!!!! SMOOTH AS SILK!!! so i can proudly say, applying silicon sealant works in saving RB coilpacks! at least for my car...

silicon sealant (like those used to glue car windshield) + its gun = RM14
workmanship to remove coils + applying the sealant = DIY free.
result = temporary fix for dodgy coils!!!

can post some photo where u apply the sillicon gum ar ? and your boost level?

sorry i didnt snap any pics, but basically i applied the sealant on the whole coil. meaning u have to take out the coil from its plate holder. only the hole where the spark plug is connected is not applied. just dont be stingy when using the sealant. 1 tube is more than enough for 2 sets of coils. pump lots of glue, then spread it with a dry cloth to make sure every surface is covered. and i used clear type instead of black/white sealant.

here's a pic courtesy of the skylines australia forum.
index.php

i even siliconed the rod...
here's another pic
index.php

check out this thread. read all posts to know the real cause of misfiring. may not be caused by coilpacks...
How To Fix Missfire Problem - Skylines Australia

good luck!

p/s stock RB25 turbo running 1 bar...

splitfire coil pack selling for A$500 here... there is another brand (JJR) which is just half of the price.. not sure how good they are.. but will find out from my mate soon..

yeah JJR is causing quite a stir in aussie land(cheaper alternative at half the price of splitfires. over here, only 1 or 2 shop sell the splitfires, and prices are a bit out of budget, especially for users like me running RB engines in non-skyline chassis (cant afford to buy skyline). for rm1600, i would rather buy mitsu coils + plug cables and use the rest of the money to buy a good pair of front brake pads+rotors...

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom