Ideal Temp (ZZT231)

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dont think u need to open those mentioned, just need to open the thermostat housing and insert the thermostat in. a simple job jer imo

ezianevo

Jan 17, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
i dont think u need to open those mentioned, just need to open the thermostat housing and insert the thermostat in. a simple job jer imo
ic. the thermostat location looks like very difficult to reach because it located under the alternator.

one more thing, do I need to drain out all the coolant?

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

many many possibilities for 'white' smoke..... maybe your gasket koyak..... rad leaking into your combustion chamber... :) hehehheeee..... bet you are trembling rite now....

extremeleo... I'm confused.... running richer makes the engine cooler or hotter?? oil temp will be lower if I run rich..... running lean causes it to go up higher.... that's my observation.....
I do not know either is it because of this thermostat problem (suspected) can cause me having a bad gas millage or not. My full tank only can get 300-350km (granny driving).

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
ic. the thermostat location looks like very difficult to reach because it located under the alternator.
one more thing, do I need to drain out all the coolant?
QUOTE]
isnt dat the water pump placement?

there will be coolant splashing everywhere, but u dont need to drain all of them out, just replenish with a bottle of toyota original coolant and water after uve done assembling all the parts together nanti

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
yes... the alternator will be in the way.... would be easier to access the thermostat if you remove the alternator....

you might have over heating problem after replacement due to air bubble in the coolant system..... make sure you get rid of it.....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i wudve never imagined toyota wud place it dat way, a thermostat shud be easy to remove and install jer

ezianevo

Jan 17, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Ok guys. Let me share the result. Who knows it might be useful to you one day. :proud:

Managed to install the new thermostat yesterday. Successfully removed and replaced the thermostat without open up the alternator but it required a lot of patience, skill and time too!! Almost 3 hours to change the thermostat only.

Here is the thermostat location. Underneath the alternator. Why toyota put that thing there eh? :hmpf:

Below is my old thermostat. No any defect was found!!! But the design slightly differences compare to new thermostat that i bought from Toyota. :hmmmm:

Unfortunately, my radiator connector was broken during fill up the coolant due to kaput (brittle) and the top coolant hose cannot connected to the radiator!!! :mad:

So pull out the radiator and send to radiator workshop to fabricate the connector and they charged me RM100. WT@!!! So no choice just send it. :argh: Then waiting another 5 hours for that stupid thing.

Result?? Alhamdulillah

:top::top::top:

1. My car reach ideal temp within 5-7 minutes previously was 15-30 minutes.
2. No more white smoke during cold start-up.
3. No more unburn fuel smell from exhaust.
4. Gear (auto) very2 responsive compare previous which very "lazy" to change the gear.
5. Absolutely feel more torque!! I just can't believe how big the impact of defective thermostat.
6. I earn more mileage!! Last time one bar can reach for 12-16km only now it can reach 24km per bar!! :love:

Hence, I would really2 recommend to change the thermostat if you got the symptom as mine.

Err....am I too excited?? :dancing2:

HAHA

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
alhamdulillah, its good uve solved the problem and get sum good results from the fix

thanx for the pix sir, ur thermostat may look okie, but it may jammed open during operation.

i still cant believe toyota put the thermostat there!!!!

ezianevo

Jan 17, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
alhamdulillah, its good uve solved the problem and get sum good results from the fix

thanx for the pix sir, ur thermostat may look okie, but it may jammed open during operation.

i still cant believe toyota put the thermostat there!!!!

Hahaha...:proud:

Anyway, thank you so much xtremeleo for your helpful advised.

I just found some information in other Celica web that mention -

"when engine did not reach the ideal temperature it will be in "open loop" logic, hence the O2 sensor will not functioning but once the engine reach the ideal temperature, the logic will turn to "close loop" then the 02 sensor will start playing his role."

Last edited:

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
great to know you solved the problem....

so... as I have always said many many times but nobody believe me, do not install TRD thermostat.....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
y do u say dat sir? interesting.. i believe in barang oem more then aftermarket item fyi

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
the TRD thermostat opens at 72Celsius.... that's way before it reaches optimum temp.... so... ppl will get the same problem as a stucked open thermostat.... as what ts experienced....

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
ohhh, i tot there was sumthing wrong the the trd thermo, thanx a a bunch for the info sir

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anyone know where I can find the stuff mentioned above?

preferably the complete set (all 4) so that I can use 5 bolt rims?
It must come with the original discs, caliper and knuckles (since I would not need to buy the things seperately.
Have you come across some at your local kedai potong store?

PM/ reply here with details.

Price and location is all the info I need.
Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience