b16a enquiry..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

arrowhead

i understand that it requires the temperature to reach the optimum point in order for the variable valve to work.

my question is.... usually how long does your engine take to reach that point? i'm asking this because, my temperature gauge was pointing at the middle point, also, i drove from paramount garden (near ss2) all the way back to subang (approx 15 mins of driving), but my vtec didn't open...

this happened during the night.. could it be because my engine hasn't reach the optimum temperature level? but 15 mins of driving should get the heat there right?

i tried again this morning, and it works. does this mean... my vtec is useless at night? lol :stupid:

ur engine got thermostate or not? if got then ur temperature can easily reach optimum temperature regardless of the weather or time. sometime they take off the thermostate to allow better cooling to the engine.
maybe other problem cause ur vtec not to engage kua.........

ur engine got thermostate or not? if got then ur temperature can easily reach optimum temperature regardless of the weather or time. sometime they take off the thermostate to allow better cooling to the engine.
maybe other problem cause ur vtec not to engage kua.........

north iswara: erm.. thermostat? i dont think i have... should i get one?

eddie_vtec: engine oil level ok...

Last edited:
normally all cars have thermostat one. but some owner will ask their mechanic to remove it. i removed mine. hehe.......... without thermostat ur engine temperature wont be consitently optimum, depending on the car travelling speed.

maybe u should goto workshop check ur vtec.

VTEC will engage once the oil temp is warm enough. Usually, 5 - 10 mins of normal driving.

If it doesnt engage, then something might be wrong. Is your ECu throwing CEL codes?

Checked your sensors, solenoids?

ROFL @ VTEC tidor

my ecu aint throwing CEL codes.. or so i think.. only way is to know is the CEL on the speedo right?

sensors and solenoid hasn't been checked. just wanna know roughly what i need to check when i'm going back to the workshop..

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated... =)

aja: omg i dont like that lol

yeah sounds like ur vtec is sleeping at nite. hehe............
how long has this happen to ur sleeping vtec? and how long have u been driving this vtec?

yeah sounds like ur vtec is sleeping at nite. hehe............
how long has this happen to ur sleeping vtec? and how long have u been driving this vtec?

abt 3 weeks or so... didn't really notice it as i havent really tested my car.. only recently.. hehe leg got itchy already.

u need to exercise the vtec also from time to time or else the vtec solenoid got stuck. this is wat i heard. they saying 1 week must engage vtec 1 time to make it working or else it will be sleeping.
i dont own a vtec engine so not much could help u. probably a good mechanic can settle for u asap.

I own a SR4 B16A but so far i only engage VTEC when i hit 5.7k rpm and above.
But BEFORE doing that i make sure the engine is already warm up... at least 5 driving normal RPM (0~5k) :) "Hope this help la"

tukar you punya solenoid hahaha
no seriously.

hahhaa ok thanks for all the tips. will bring my car for check up this saturday... might be due to my thermostat too...

u need to exercise the vtec also from time to time or else the vtec solenoid got stuck. this is wat i heard. they saying 1 week must engage vtec 1 time to make it working or else it will be sleeping.
i dont own a vtec engine so not much could help u. probably a good mechanic can settle for u asap.

sound like human vtekking!!!

tukar you punya solenoid hahaha
no seriously.

this one also same,...

anyway guyz, bien, from what i know abt hondas,...
ur CEL dun throws codes, unless u jump the connectors,...
but it will lite up,... most of the time, if there's an error.

a more in-depth diagnosis would be to ask the mechanic to plug in the scanner,... all the penyakit will be listed out,...

one more thing, eh,... hijack thread a bit,... :-
my mechanic says, for OBDII diagnostic, it is not recommended to jump the connectors,... it can be jumped, and it will throw codes,... ONCE only, then u gotta pluck / unjump it, else our ECUs get fried (???), anyone can cfm???

upgrade to k20a lar.
then u will feel the vtec open power!

maybe u cant feel the b16a power cozs not powerful enough so get a k20a, then u can feel the power at night.

mie: hahahaha when i come we discuss abt that la ya? :biggrin: but i thought u said not advisable to do so.. :hmmmm: nanti pecah engine.. :biggrin:

northiswara: i cannot feel the vtec cuz it nv open! hahahaha its probably due to the thermostat laaa.. cuz usually morning/noon easier for the engine to "warm up" thus i can open vtec... at night takes a much longer time for it to be 'warmed up" tested and proven adi hehe... and k20a... the halfcut i can downpayment for a house liao :biggrin:

fobs: too technical im lost :hmmmm:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom