Dump pipes vs. Wastegates

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

gIGoN

Known Member
Which is louder? Coz to me, i compared both my friends car which just installed a wastegate i think my other fren which is using dumppipe is much more louder, wat about u guys? both boosting > 1 bar

bro dont just think abt how it sounds. Think abt the performance that it has to offer. As far as i know wastegate is a good way to keep a steady boost. sometimes by using downpipes ( artificial wastegates) it can fark up your boost
just my 2 cents

yea i know performance wise wastegate is way better. hehehe i just wanna know from soundwise point of view hehehee

which one louder ?
both are same isnt it ?
its just leaking ur exhaust to atmo , consider it as a exhaust leak
which creates that sound. so the sound if affected by the size of ur wastegate hole 35mm, 38mm , 40mm , if actuator hole then u must see the flap hole how many mm . the length of the pipe also.

dunno a stupid Q's or not ...

but can we have a downpipe and w/gate at the same time?

is it goog or bad???

1 more stupid question...

how actually a wastegate sound like??

like bov??

planning bot my car or swap engines....

hmm....for me theres no matter of sound actually,i'm using wastegate coz its holding boost more efficiently..more accurate..rather than stock actuater...

wastegate? apa tu? can eat wan ah?

tak payah pakai la...buang terus kasi 3 bar boost...hahahahahhahaha

ok ok...personally, i still prefer wastegate dumppipe routed back to the exhaust. you buang to the atmo straight, yeah la it sounds garang, but then my own opinion on full boost it's not only DAMN BLOODY NOISY, you risk not listening to other tell tale signs of failure if you do so, because wastegate only opens during a pre-set boost and for me who only use one when i going for higher boost, it's essential i need to hear if got knocking ke, other sounds la... you know like ball bearing turbo starts to whine on boost...girlfriend talking to you, hahah..

for sound i think dump pipe is louder cos the exhaust gas have to squeeze out from a tiny hole(internal w/gate).if u want louder,try a s.steel pipe that has a diameter smaller then 1".it should be loud but u will find boost creep around the corner every time u floor ur accelerator.for performance wise,better got for external w/gate.:shades_smile:

Dump Pipes Vs Wastegate

This question is one of the dummest question i have seen. But for the benefit of all, lets study over this.

What is wastegate ? Wastegate it to relieve pressure in the manifold to maintain certain pressure of boost. I.e when required boost is reached, the wastegate open and dump excess hot gases to regulate the turbine speed, thus maintaining boost.

The pipe that dump the gas is call dump pipe. either redirect back to the "down pipe" or directly to atmosphere. So that actually answer your question of what is dump pipe.

And both item do not have sound. The sound is from the air being dumped.

For smaller turbo application, with internal wastegate, then no dump pipe needed.

I hope this will clarify all the bro's question about these two items.

Ciao..

FatAssRubber : wht our friends here are finding out is , from the wastegate -> to atmo or from actuator flap -> atmo , which one is more louder. i know its a funny question lol

This question is one of the dummest question i have seen. But for the benefit of all, lets study over this.

What is wastegate ? Wastegate it to relieve pressure in the manifold to maintain certain pressure of boost. I.e when required boost is reached, the wastegate open and dump excess hot gases to regulate the turbine speed, thus maintaining boost.

The pipe that dump the gas is call dump pipe. either redirect back to the "down pipe" or directly to atmosphere. So that actually answer your question of what is dump pipe.

And both item do not have sound. The sound is from the air being dumped.

For smaller turbo application, with internal wastegate, then no dump pipe needed.

I hope this will clarify all the bro's question about these two items.

Ciao..

aiyo i know la wat is wastegate and wat is dump pipe....just wanna know if both have the same pipe size which would be louder....that's all ....just the loudness nuthin much....

for me its the length of the pipe that matter... i tried using differant size of pipe for my wastegate....doesnt make any differance... maybe yess it has but maybe my ears are not that sensitive enough to detact it.. after shortened the pipe...before tis it was about one foot long... after i shortened it leaving only around 10-13cm long... my god it sounds like there is no tomorrow when i full boost at 1.4bar..... having an artificial gate/self created dump pipe from actuator flap will produce a loud sound if its short and more silence when its long.....

If u dump it to atmosphere . then loud lah...

If u dump it into the downpipe.. then not so noisylah..

Period!!

wonder why this FatAssRubber giving such attitude?

haih ...

i must fine wastegate and fix to my car .... how mush wastegate thailand now..? the prise.

i must fine wastegate and fix to my car .... how mush wastegate thailand now..? the prise.

i got the one that's look like tial n xs power.been selling a lot of it without any problem.pm me for pricing.thanks.

Top Bottom