Advise needed: Wastegate problem

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

geukai

Hello taikor-taikor and sifu-sifu,

I'm kinda new to this, so please bear with me on the problem description. I'm currently using a Tial 38mm wastegate with 0.7 bar spring installed. Running on a TD05-18G 4G63T with an electronic boost controller. So my questions are:

- If I'm using 0.7 bar spring, the wastegate should only open when the boost hits 0.7 bar, am I correct?
- I noticed that the wastegate will work normally (open at 0.7 bar) when I switch on the electronic boost controller. When I off the electronic boost controller, the wastegate will open at 0.4-0.5 bar range, so it that normal?

I hope those are not a stupid question, try to seek for answers. Thanks again and don't flame me if I describe the thing incorrectly.

its simple , disconnect ur boost controller, see if boosts at 0.7bar
if it doesnt then most probably ur wastegate is faulty

Jin, thanks for the advise, u mean disconnect the boost controller and see whether it can boost up to 0.7 bar? I've disconnected my boost controller last week and test, the car hardly boost up to 0.7 bar, most of the time 0.5-0.6 bar. The wastegate opens at 0.4 bar...

..hmm,actually..i was wondering,why not just remove the boost-con. just rely on the wastegate?

question:how those guys can have wastegate installed and at the same time having a 'scramble-boost' function?..i dont get how-it-works. =)

Where did you get all these 0.4 & 0.7 reading? From boost meter? from Turbo timer? etc?

Had a fren who boast his bone stock turbo engine engine could boost almost 2 bar without any problems.

Later found out he got this 2 bar reading from his HKS turbo timer. (the turbo timer is very old model and very worn down) In other words the reading from the Turbo timer "aeroplane" liao :rofl:.

Last edited:
haha...speaking of "aeroplane" readings..try this..
a.go get/beg/borrow/steal a "AutoGauge" Boost meter(ciken brand)
b.And ori sard boost meter...
c.a hKs boost meter...
d.and a Ori Mitsu Din gauge..the 3 gauge type
e.install it all together! haha!~:proud:

result?:stupid: all the reading lari.. :banghead: but i've notice the ori mitsu meters were more responsive and reading smoother compared to those "aftermaket brand" then i realize at the back of the meters were steel connectors.:hmmmm: i assume the pressure reading were more accurate..i think la! :driver:

and the question is...which boost reader is the most accurate ? haha and how u know if it's accurate or not

Where did you get all these 0.4 & 0.7 reading? From boost meter? from Turbo timer? etc?

Had a fren who boast his bone stock turbo engine engine could boost almost 2 bar without any problems.

Later found out he got this 2 bar reading from his HKS turbo timer. (the turbo timer is very old model and very worn down) In other words the reading from the Turbo timer "aeroplane" liao :rofl:.
The reading is from the Defi boost meter. Thanks.

Last edited:
It also depends on where you mount your ext. wastegate (directly in the middle of the exhaust manifold where all 4 runners meet - assuming ur using a 4-cyl, on the turbo-elbow, etc.

Does that make any difference? I'm using the custom banana (exhaust manifold) with a wastegate exit.

Last edited:
Yes it does. You'll get different boost reading and response if you were to mount it onto the turbo elbow (ie: using the same hole as where the original internal wastegate used to, to vent all excessive gasses out)

My experience with Tial wastegate (0.7 bar spring) mounted directly to the banana manifold get's the boost up to 0.5 bar too. It's new btw. Din't bother about it and just use the elec. boost controller to get more gain and boost. :)

Does that make any difference? I'm using the custom banana (exhaust manifold) with a wastegate exit.

Your setup from the picture seems as if the exhaust gases only passes through 2 cylinders to the ext wastegate.

There was a lot of discussion on the DSM forum (and proly many more) that the best place to mount an external wastegate is right at the middle where all 4 runners meet.

Then again, that is not factoring in the issues of engine bay space..

Here's the pic of the banana and wastegate exit. FYI. Those stuff are brand new including the 0.7 bar Tial 38mm.

My experience with Tial wastegate (0.7 bar spring) mounted directly to the banana manifold get's the boost up to 0.5 bar too. It's new btw.

Do you mind to elaborate more on that? I thought the 63T stock boost should be 0.5-0.9 bar, and you mentioned get's the boost up to 0.5 bar?? Sorry a bit confused.

Here's the pic of the banana and wastegate exit. FYI. Those stuff are brand new including the 0.7 bar Tial 38mm.

Do you mind to elaborate more on that? I thought the 63T stock boost should be 0.5-0.9 bar, and you mentioned get's the boost up to 0.5 bar?? Sorry a bit confused.

So-called 'stock boost' that you find, read or heard, be it 93T or 63T depends on the stock actuator. If the stock boost is around 0.5 bar - 0.9 bar, the stock actuator will start venting out all exhaust gasses at those pressure.

Once you've upgrade to an external wastegate, the boost now depends on the spring rate of that particular external wastegate. Hence, the so-called 'stock boost' does not apply since you've removed the stock actuator.

What I was trying to say is that I have a Tial external wastegate, which although the spring rate is rated at 0.7 bar, i'm also, like you, only getting 0.5 bar of boost. The reason why I said it's new just so you know that it's not a problemetic unit :)

So-called 'stock boost' that you find, read or heard, be it 93T or 63T depends on the stock actuator. If the stock boost is around 0.5 bar - 0.9 bar, the stock actuator will start venting out all exhaust gasses at those pressure.

Once you've upgrade to an external wastegate, the boost now depends on the spring rate of that particular external wastegate. Hence, the so-called 'stock boost' does not apply since you've removed the stock actuator.

What I was trying to say is that I have a Tial external wastegate, which although the spring rate is rated at 0.7 bar, i'm also, like you, only getting 0.5 bar of boost. The reason why I said it's new just so you know that it's not a problemetic unit :)

Bro, I think you're confused with my question. I can boost above 0.5 bar,with (1.2 bar) or without the ebc (0.6-0.7 bar). But I noticed that when I off the ebc, the wastegate opens at 0.4-0.5 bar range. Do you have this type of symptom? Is that normal? If the ebc is on, the wastegate will open at 0.7 bar cun cun.

Thanks for the advise bro hamsap :)

Last edited:
Bro, I think you're confused with my question. I can boost above 0.5 bar,with (1.2 bar) or without the ebc (0.6-0.7 bar). But I noticed that when I off the ebc, the wastegate opens at 0.4-0.5 bar range. Do you have this type of symptom? Is that normal? If the ebc is on, the wastegate will open at 0.7 bar cun cun.

Thanks for the advise bro hamsap :)

Hi bro,

Just to double verify your earlier question;

1.) You can get the boost up to 0.6 - 0.7 bar with the external wastegate WITHOUT the EBC connected (vacuum hose directly connects to the intercooler piping/ inlet manifold)

2.) You only get 0.5 bar of boost WITH the EBC connected (all hoses goes through the boost solenoid) but with the EBC turned-off?

BTW, just curious how did you connect all the hoses to and from the boost controller solenoid and the ext. wastegate?

Also, how far does the boost solenoid sits away from the ext. wastegate and also which area did you tap the incoming pressure from? (ie. inlet manifold, intercooler piping, etc)

Last edited:
bro, here's the pics:

To be exact, the ebc was turned off but the hoses are still intact. The incoming pressure is tapped from the intercooler piping. (refer to the picture I posted previously).

The solenoid connections is based on the setup provided by the greddy manual.

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom