[DIY] Oil catch tank

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
My understanding is there shouldn't be a vacuum. But for some reason my crushed. Could be engine heat also but that's unlikely
I saw some post saying that you made the cylinder bore bigger right ?
Could it be that ?
Bigger volume in the combustion chamber.
Suck more air in during downward stroke. Causing morem vacuum than usual at the breather hose side.

Not sure whether it works that way.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I saw some post saying that you made the cylinder bore bigger right ?
Could it be that ?
Bigger volume in the combustion chamber.
Suck more air in during downward stroke. Causing morem vacuum than usual at the breather hose side.

Not sure whether it works that way.
on my Myvi? It's completely stock. My old wira is a different story

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I dunno.. maybe I connected mine wrongly or the filter was directional and I fitted it wrongly
Even terbalik, won't get crushed. Maybe because of heat it melted but then in my turbo VR also very hot still survived.......lol

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
My understanding is there shouldn't be a vacuum. But for some reason my crushed. Could be engine heat also but that's unlikely
I'm gonna try on my brothers Myvi to see whether got strong vacuum like u said.

Oh ya, guys, if I placed my oil catch can here shouldn't be a problem right ?
Away from engine, between battery, air box and fuse box
IMG_20180710_234112.jpg

Attachments

noripsni

Jul 3, 2018
your crankcase runs at positive pressure, not a vacuum, its why you can blow crankshaft seals if the breather is blocked, the reason is some compression escapes past the rings, on the fiat engines at high rpm (7-8k rpm) the pressure is such that it can stop the oil draining back from the valve cover, causing filling of the valve cover, oil starvation to the cam and lowering the oil level in the sump, so abarth had a crankcase breather with oil arrester AND a valve cover breather with pipes going above the engine, then down to a catch tank. Now I know your car is not a fiat abarth, but i use this it illustrate how all internal combustion engines run at positive crankcase pressure not negative (vacuum), My plastic oil tank is also shrunken on my Coupe, its due to exhaust heat and the hot oil fumes melting the plastic, these bottles shrink when heated, try it, throw a water bottle on a fire.
800px-Fiat_Abarth_1000_Engine2.jpg

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
your crankcase runs at positive pressure, not a vacuum, its why you can blow crankshaft seals if the breather is blocked, the reason is some compression escapes past the rings, on the fiat engines at high rpm (7-8k rpm) the pressure is such that it can stop the oil draining back from the valve cover, causing filling of the valve cover, oil starvation to the cam and lowering the oil level in the sump, so abarth had a crankcase breather with oil arrester AND a valve cover breather with pipes going above the engine, then down to a catch tank. Now I know your car is not a fiat abarth, but i use this it illustrate how all internal combustion engines run at positive crankcase pressure not negative (vacuum), My plastic oil tank is also shrunken on my Coupe, its due to exhaust heat and the hot oil fumes melting the plastic, these bottles shrink when heated, try it, throw a water bottle on a fire.
Heat from oil fumes shrunk my plastic petrol filter OCT. Makes sense but I didn't think a K3VE would make that much heat.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

1) I would like to change my crv 99 engine..

what the types of engine suit with my crv..

or maybe have any optional ideas to make the more powerful then the stock..

2) Where can i find crv 99 body kit?? Such as MUGEN etc..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience