[DIY] Flush ATF and change filter

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, my old saga dun have a nut below the ATF sump and only beside got the nut. Can i change to a diffrent sump? How much?

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
...yes correct is Automatic year 1991. I have learn that only later model got 2 nuts, one below and one beside. Mine only got beside so cant drain 100%. May i ask what will happen if i dun change the ATF filter above the sump? Say i am lazy to open the sump.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
...yes correct is Automatic year 1991. I have learn that only later model got 2 nuts, one below and one beside. Mine only got beside so cant drain 100%. May i ask what will happen if i dun change the ATF filter above the sump? Say i am lazy to open the sump.
Well, if your oil is really dirty, the filter will get clogged and the dirt will circulate in your gearbox. Ultimately that'll destroy the cogs and moving parts inside the gearbox or eat away bit by bit. It'll be a slow and painful death. But having said that most people I know never bother changing the filter and have used their cars for years. The only difference is the way the gearbox feels compared to mine, mine is silky smooth gear changes and theirs jerks like it wants to break their necks.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
mine is not smooth coz i can feel it when it change from 1 to 2. It is an automatic with 3 speed only. i hope after i change the ATF and filter, gear change will be smooth till i wont feel it changing.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
mine is not smooth coz i can feel it when it change from 1 to 2. It is an automatic with 3 speed only. i hope after i change the ATF and filter, gear change will be smooth till i wont feel it changing.
It depends on the oil you're using and how much oil is pumped in. Cuz if you overfill it'll jerk like that. If you underfill it'll struggle to change gears. It has to be just right.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
ok, thank u for telling me this. Now i know. So between the min and max is the right amount? Mind to share when and how to check the atf dip stick? If after i get it right, then must be the oil. Can u recommend me a good and suitable ATF for my old saga? It is a 91 Saga Aeroback 1.5 Auto 12V Carb. Thank u :)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ok, thank u for telling me this. Now i know. So between the min and max is the right amount? Mind to share when and how to check the atf dip stick? If after i get it right, then must be the oil. Can u recommend me a good and suitable ATF for my old saga? It is a 91 Saga Aeroback 1.5 Auto 12V Carb. Thank u :)
Usually after changing the filter and filling up the oil level (initial check) I just make sure the dipstick is between the min and max line. I start up the car and go for a quick 5 minute run around my taman. Then I check the dipstick again, most of the time it'll be low. So I top it up again until it touches the max line. Go for one more 5 minute run and check again. Usually it's ok by then.

I'm not sure what type of oil your Saga uses. If it's an old Proton, it probably should be using SPIII oil. Check your manual to confirm this! If yes, the the Mitsubishi Diaqueen SPIII is pretty damn good.

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
good way to DIY at house if u r look for budget or short of $ or wanna learn something new.it is good to show to urgf,wife,family that u do it too... :proud:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
may i ask is it check during warmed engine running in N or turn off engine then check? My manual book is gone when i got this car from the last owner, now i only got the Haynes Proton repair manual and it says fill between min and max no matter u change engine oil, ATF, DOT3/4, Steering Fluid, all same...Haynes recommends to fill between min and max. May i ask, is the power steering fluid can use any sort of ATF? I mean for whatever ATF i use for the tranny, the leftover i could just taruk for the steering too? I heard that we cant simply use any ATF for the tranny as we like, is it true? I got a Toyota Type T-IV ATF, can i use it for this old Saga tranny?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
may i ask is it check during warmed engine running in N or turn off engine then check? My manual book is gone when i got this car from the last owner, now i only got the Haynes Proton repair manual and it says fill between min and max no matter u change engine oil, ATF, DOT3/4, Steering Fluid, all same...Haynes recommends to fill between min and max. May i ask, is the power steering fluid can use any sort of ATF? I mean for whatever ATF i use for the tranny, the leftover i could just taruk for the steering too? I heard that we cant simply use any ATF for the tranny as we like, is it true? I got a Toyota Type T-IV ATF, can i use it for this old Saga tranny?
Ok here's what I got from my quick search in Google. Proton Saga auto 3-speed 1st gen uses SPIII oil so my earlier Mitsubishi Diaqueen SPIII will work great with your car. I check with the engine warm and off in N.

The reason why most people recommend between min and max is so you don't overfill. It's pretty damn hard to remove if you do. No harm with this method but personally I like mine close to max rather than min.

Power steering fluid in most cases is Dexron III oil. I don't recommend using anything else.

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
yes,sterring oil normally can use ATF t3(dexron 111 oil) about toyota ATF t4 is not suitable for saga or proton model...my friend have face it,pour ATF t4 to his old iswara,his car cant move.then drain out all T4 oil,and flushing GB with T3 oil ,top up t3 oil start engine ,lucky his car normally back and move again...hehehe..he also shock when his car cant move...rpm rev to 5000 in D gear,cant never move a cm...hehehe...wrong oil on wrong model car..

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
@izso
I hope the diaqueen III is not expensive coz last time i bought the Toyota ATF Type T-IV 4L for RM60 only for my Hyundai Atos tranny and steering, so far no problem.

One thing strange, when i check the ATF dip stick when engine is off and cold in the morning, the level is off the chart high, then i start the car to warm it up in N and check during idle, it shows the level is exactly between the min and max. Now i dun know either to salut the previous owner or what since izso said check when engine is off. Anyways, thanks u for all the replies so far. Really appreciate it.

@jimmy
Thanks for the info, man. I nearly want to pour in the Type IV to the old Saga when my hand felt itchy. Now i dun know what to do with the Toyota ATF since i am going to sell off the Atos soon. Maybe i can pour some of it into the engine? To clean some carbon maybe? Or can i use it for the steering? No? I tot steering can use any brands and standards as long as its ATF.

@izso
bro, try check yr ATF level when the engine is running, u might get a shock to see the stick is completely dry.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Mike, Diaqueen is about RM114 at the spare parts shop near my place and it's 4L.

Ok - here's the thing. The AT Gearbox has a pump and it circulates the oil around the GB. Oil is not like water and it doesn't settle down instantly the moment the pump is stopped. The reason why I suggested to check it with a hot engine is to make sure the oil is everywhere it's supposed to be - in the torque convertor, inbetween the cogs and so on. The reason why I ask to do it with the engine off (but hot) is so the oil doesn't get pumped out of the dipstick hole.

That's the reason why you don't check the ATF level when cold - just so you're measuring the amount of oil in the ATF case when it is already circulated within the GB.

Toyota Type-IV gear oil is not the compatible with Dexron III. You want to use it in your gearbox or your power steering then that's your choice. If something was made to be used with something, I wouldn't want to use someone else to replace what it was originally supposed to use unless it's compatible.

So in the end it's your choice. I'm not stopping you if you want to pour Toyota T-IV oil into your engine. I've repeated myself enough for now.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there,

Can anyone share some info where i can tune a/f and check my O2?
Someone told me to tune this a/f the workshop need to have some kind of michine?
my 1.6 satria fc very bad, superb bad. full tank max is 300km only..
My location is Kepong, hoping someone will give out helping hands.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience