Why campro engines fail on crank!!! Campro 1.6 vs 4g92p

cyborgsabah

Nov 18, 2003
Afghanistan
Visit site
The hole in the conrod bearing is not for oil entry. Almost all (if not all) crank bearings and conrod bearings oil supply is from the crank shaft it self. The hole is mainly for piston cooling.

Most aftermarket conrod do not have the oil hole. They can work without it..

The holes under the piston are for oil drainage from the piston oil scraper rings. It is never intended for oil supply to the rings..

I suspect what cause premature failure of the conrod bearing is the conrod and the conrod cap are not aligned properly.. proton bad machine work...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
The hole in the conrod bearing is not for oil entry. Almost all (if not all) crank bearings and conrod bearings oil supply is from the crank shaft it self. The hole is mainly for piston cooling.

Most aftermarket conrod do not have the oil hole. They can work without it..

The holes under the piston are for oil drainage from the piston oil scraper rings. It is never intended for oil supply to the rings..

I suspect what cause premature failure of the conrod bearing is the conrod and the conrod cap are not aligned properly.. proton bad machine work...
Thanks for the information.. Appreciated the input.

Urm... If u realize, some aftermarket conrod also have oil lines fromt the crank all the way to the piston pin align right at the center of the conrod shaft. Cooling also.

And for every where the oils went through in a conrod and pistons, they are used as cooling and also lubrication.

And the improper conrod cap and conrod alignment leads to the crank failure where the protuded part of the conrod scraps along the conrod mount on the crank.

Being in the diecasting and molding industry for over 3 years, I know that die casting is loosing money due to the cost of die, aluminum melting machine, maintenance, fuels and remelting of the returns. But machining work are gaining. Machining work cost alot of money.

So, by saving the cost of machining, it simply means they save alot. Imagine 10,000 unit car/year. You'll have 40,000 unit of conrod and 30% spare parts in the market.

52,000 units of conrod produced for 10,000 car. To save RM2 in every conrod, they saved RM104,000/10,000 cars produced. But mana pergi..? Oppss... Sorry... Spoken too much.

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
stil thinking to BOT my neo auto -.-

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the information.. Appreciated the input.

Urm... If u realize, some aftermarket conrod also have oil lines fromt the crank all the way to the piston pin align right at the center of the conrod shaft. Cooling also.

And for every where the oils went through in a conrod and pistons, they are used as cooling and also lubrication.

And the improper conrod cap and conrod alignment leads to the crank failure where the protuded part of the conrod scraps along the conrod mount on the crank.

Being in the diecasting and molding industry for over 3 years, I know that die casting is loosing money due to the cost of die, aluminum melting machine, maintenance, fuels and remelting of the returns. But machining work are gaining. Machining work cost alot of money.

So, by saving the cost of machining, it simply means they save alot. Imagine 10,000 unit car/year. You'll have 40,000 unit of conrod and 30% spare parts in the market.

52,000 units of conrod produced for 10,000 car. To save RM2 in every conrod, they saved RM104,000/10,000 cars produced. But mana pergi..? Oppss... Sorry... Spoken too much.
hehehe, costs saving, ended up consumer suffers....biasa lah....its a PROTON

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
no wonder alot proton nowadays, when pass tol, rather open door to pay tol......sked they wind down windows too much later kong.....why not do like the F50 style ? "KNOB WINDING WINDOW"

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
even enzo is using manual windows juz to reduce weight

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
Any other comments/experience..?
i also saw many case campro engine,but the one serious case is a got one gen 2 just 1 month below 30k km,the main bearing jam then got one engine con rod break already,the engine head also is crack already,that time i forget to take photo,if got next time i sure take some photo to share with us,that campro engine really is no eye see+_+

Last edited:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
i also saw many case campro engine,but the one serious case is a got one gen 2 just 1 month below 30k km,the main bearing jam then got one engine con rod break already,the engine head also is crack already,that time i forget to take photo,if got next time i sure take some photo to share with us,that campro engine really is no eye see+_+
IT must be the misalignment of the conrod and conrod cap...

GoldenHawk

500 RPM
Aug 6, 2004
It's always an issue of QUANTITY vs. QUALITY. When will these people understand! :frown:
BTW, aren't the piston oil-lines for lubrication? I mean, the lubricant serves a cooling purpose too, right?
But then again, with assembly quality like that... :frown:

likeme88

Apr 2, 2009
wah...this make me worry even more...since my car clocked 40000km...and i do rev and highspeed a few times every month...scare man...wonder can mobil 1 engine oil im using now can protect this shit o nt...:rofl:....proton oh proton....why can make something perfect..we people just need a reliable car is more than enough...:vollkommenauf:

and wonder can it last at least 150000km++ without any overhaul or problem....btw any campro user pass 150k km??

Last edited:

220mph

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
kl
wah...this make me worry even more...since my car clocked 40000km...and i do rev and highspeed a few times every month...scare man...wonder can mobil 1 engine oil im using now can protect this shit o nt...:rofl:....proton oh proton....why can make something perfect..we people just need a reliable car is more than enough...:vollkommenauf:

and wonder can it last at least 150000km++ without any overhaul or problem....btw any campro user pass 150k km??
mine about 130k km 2004 model..touchwood, still fine.. having 11+ whp on few minor mods.
engine performance,driveshaft,transmision still ok. but alot of other minor rattling sound in cabin and few electronic issue.
to judge proton fairly, it was 2004 when i bought this product from them.
5 yeas ago, i guess we still can consider them pre-mature.
so cant have high expectation for build quality.
but disappointingly,up to date, interior and build quality for proton new model still lack of quality touch.

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
i using my camPUR engine wif shell fully syn engine oil
it clocked at 30k+ since 2006 yr end if not mistaken

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
I've been working on few campro engine and find out this piston head is way too thin and its conrod material is like cheaplak casting, surface very rough especially its conrod bearing joint surface not even oso !!! Thats y its so not suit for high rev, abit only timing belt break, 1 row of intake valve all bend and some exhaust valve too !!

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I also realize about the conrod softness when I was helping my foreman on the conrod punch marking.. skali ketuk, the marking is quite deep....

Well bro, since u were working in with the campro project, mind sharing why is the internals designed in such..? Purely cost reduction..?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
I have no project with any campro engine, is just that previously i'm a technician so encounter 1 Gen-2 with break timing....... I think one of the reason the conrod is design n create in such a way i believe its purely because proton cannot afford any massive R & D on the material used or purely cost cutting ..... I believe the material use in the campro conrod is with very minimum iron content or the machine for casting the con rod is relatively cheap. like mits con rod i believe its made of pressure casting ; campro's just normal mould casting ..... there's many many else factor to list i just name afew possibility, so if anything i mention wrongly pls correct me as it is my own point of view not the real fact.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I have no project with any campro engine, is just that previously i'm a technician so encounter 1 Gen-2 with break timing....... I think one of the reason the conrod is design n create in such a way i believe its purely because proton cannot afford any massive R & D on the material used or purely cost cutting .....
Well, the 4G9X engine used in proton previously was purely made in malaysia. meaning to say, They have enough information regarding the material formula on the conrod on mitsu's engine. So, no R & D required to find the material formula. IMHO, I think they reduce the carbon content in the steel to make it lighter and at the same time cheaper.

Well, up to date, casting industry is obviously loosing money everywhere including KYB/Mikuni... But they can gain back from the post process machining work. If they are able to save the machining cost, the price/unit can could reduce lotsa cost.

I believe the material use in the campro conrod is with very minimum iron content or the machine for casting the con rod is relatively cheap. like mits con rod i believe its made of pressure casting ; campro's just normal mould casting .....
Steel are normally done by sand cast. And I don;t understand what u meant by normal casting..?

there's many many else factor to list i just name afew possibility, so if anything i mention wrongly pls correct me as it is my own point of view not the real fact.

apitganaz

Known Member
Feb 23, 2005
im also using this campro since 2005....so far no problem at all....always Drag at Pasir gudang track.. but if somebody can send all the pic to proton engineer they must be a reason why they do that...

eeerr one more thing....last time if we look at the manual says better use fully synthetic...even CPS they recommended 10-30 engine oil....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just share with you a video I saw from another forum....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNDNC1ypZE

If the bolder have rolled over one more time, the car would have been flatten....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience