Why campro engines fail on crank!!! Campro 1.6 vs 4g92p

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
I've been working on few campro engine and find out this piston head is way too thin and its conrod material is like cheaplak casting, surface very rough especially its conrod bearing joint surface not even oso !!! Thats y its so not suit for high rev, abit only timing belt break, 1 row of intake valve all bend and some exhaust valve too !!

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I also realize about the conrod softness when I was helping my foreman on the conrod punch marking.. skali ketuk, the marking is quite deep....

Well bro, since u were working in with the campro project, mind sharing why is the internals designed in such..? Purely cost reduction..?

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
I have no project with any campro engine, is just that previously i'm a technician so encounter 1 Gen-2 with break timing....... I think one of the reason the conrod is design n create in such a way i believe its purely because proton cannot afford any massive R & D on the material used or purely cost cutting ..... I believe the material use in the campro conrod is with very minimum iron content or the machine for casting the con rod is relatively cheap. like mits con rod i believe its made of pressure casting ; campro's just normal mould casting ..... there's many many else factor to list i just name afew possibility, so if anything i mention wrongly pls correct me as it is my own point of view not the real fact.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I have no project with any campro engine, is just that previously i'm a technician so encounter 1 Gen-2 with break timing....... I think one of the reason the conrod is design n create in such a way i believe its purely because proton cannot afford any massive R & D on the material used or purely cost cutting .....
Well, the 4G9X engine used in proton previously was purely made in malaysia. meaning to say, They have enough information regarding the material formula on the conrod on mitsu's engine. So, no R & D required to find the material formula. IMHO, I think they reduce the carbon content in the steel to make it lighter and at the same time cheaper.

Well, up to date, casting industry is obviously loosing money everywhere including KYB/Mikuni... But they can gain back from the post process machining work. If they are able to save the machining cost, the price/unit can could reduce lotsa cost.

I believe the material use in the campro conrod is with very minimum iron content or the machine for casting the con rod is relatively cheap. like mits con rod i believe its made of pressure casting ; campro's just normal mould casting .....
Steel are normally done by sand cast. And I don;t understand what u meant by normal casting..?

there's many many else factor to list i just name afew possibility, so if anything i mention wrongly pls correct me as it is my own point of view not the real fact.

apitganaz

Known Member
Feb 23, 2005
im also using this campro since 2005....so far no problem at all....always Drag at Pasir gudang track.. but if somebody can send all the pic to proton engineer they must be a reason why they do that...

eeerr one more thing....last time if we look at the manual says better use fully synthetic...even CPS they recommended 10-30 engine oil....:biggrin:

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Well, the 4G9X engine used in proton previously was purely made in malaysia. meaning to say, They have enough information regarding the material formula on the conrod on mitsu's engine. So, no R & D required to find the material formula. IMHO, I think they reduce the carbon content in the steel to make it lighter and at the same time cheaper.

Well, up to date, casting industry is obviously loosing money everywhere including KYB/Mikuni... But they can gain back from the post process machining work. If they are able to save the machining cost, the price/unit can could reduce lotsa cost.

Steel are normally done by sand cast. And I don;t understand what u meant by normal casting..?
Of course casting there is plenty of types. To be less complicated to other readers so i just type normal casting instead of die casting, sand casting , pressure casting , etc ........ thank you for correcting !!

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
im also using this campro since 2005....so far no problem at all....always Drag at Pasir gudang track.. but if somebody can send all the pic to proton engineer they must be a reason why they do that...

eeerr one more thing....last time if we look at the manual says better use fully synthetic...even CPS they recommended 10-30 engine oil....:biggrin:
Oh ok. Anyone mind posting a scan of the official receipt from proton authorized service centre. I mean those ppl whom just drive in their car into the service center without requesting specific oil type. Really curious if they really use fully synthetic.

Cause when i was using 4G93P automatic transmission, they automatically use Diamond SP III without saying. Cause that's their SOP. So, if it's recommended in the manual, they should have follow without saying...

Of course casting there is plenty of types. To be less complicated to other readers so i just type normal casting instead of die casting, sand casting , pressure casting , etc ........ thank you for correcting !!
yaya... I guess they are trying to save the machining cost.

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Oh ok. Anyone mind posting a scan of the official receipt from proton authorized service centre. I mean those ppl whom just drive in their car into the service center without requesting specific oil type. Really curious if they really use fully synthetic.

Cause when i was using 4G93P automatic transmission, they automatically use Diamond SP III without saying. Cause that's their SOP. So, if it's recommended in the manual, they should have follow without saying...

yaya... I guess they are trying to save the machining cost.
Sending back our new car to authorized service centre for me its totally a joke !!! As for me i got info about some luxury car brand , owners careless bout their... they just send in and go somewhere else till somebody ring them up to collect cars. What do the technician did in the service centre is just that they replace then oil filter , reset the meter's lube change indicator then off they go ...........

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Sending back our new car to authorized service centre for me its totally a joke !!! As for me i got info about some luxury car brand , owners careless bout their... they just send in and go somewhere else till somebody ring them up to collect cars. What do the technician did in the service centre is just that they replace then oil filter , reset the meter's lube change indicator then off they go ...........
how did he/you know...got proof?

as for the campro(non cps)..normal service is semi-sync..its already set in their system..
i need to ask for fully, then they changed it..

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
This frankly i've no proof that's y i dare not mention which co. As the person is some of my friends friend so what they say i wat i'm telling now. U don't believe u can ignore as i'm just to share it here. I'd been in the auto industry for quite some time, wat kind of business tactics they use, i roughly know it ..... I might be wrong too . believe or not up to u.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
This frankly i've no proof that's y i dare not mention which co. As the person is some of my friends friend so what they say i wat i'm telling now. U don't believe u can ignore as i'm just to share it here. I'd been in the auto industry for quite some time, wat kind of business tactics they use, i roughly know it ..... I might be wrong too . believe or not up to u.

ok then...tq..

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Is CPS engine share with the same internal part from 1st gen Campro engine??

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
That mean I have to onhold for CPS booking?
Btw, any new engine release from Proton such turbocharge ?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

if any sifus here can tell me how to increase l2s top speed... my car still stock l2s only.. thanks...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience