Why upgrade to high performance camshafts??

LemonRuski

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
KL
- for a DOHC engine, 1600cc, 4 speed automatic transmission.

- what benefits are there if the camshafts were upgraded from the stock unit to a high performance unit?

- what shortcomings will there be? (example, increase in petrol consumption?)

- what about ported & polished cylinder heads? What does it do?
- adjustable cam pulleys? What does it do?

hope to know more ....thank you..:redface:

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
For sure FC increase...hehehehe....
Performance sure better...

Polish cylinder head is okay but skimmed the head if not nessary not recommended as your engine head life spam will less....

adjustable cam pullley:hmmmm: set wrong will be more worst than ori..
good luck...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
- for a DOHC engine, 1600cc, 4 speed automatic transmission.

- what benefits are there if the camshafts were upgraded from the stock unit to a high performance unit?
- highcams have longer duration and higher lift... higher valve lift means more air/fuel mixture can flow into the combustion chamber... more air/fuel, more bang, more power.... longer duration means the valve is allowed to open as long as possible... same theory, to allow more air/fuel enters ur combustion chamber... its the same application as for exhaust valve (since u using DOHC, intake and exhaust valve is independently controlled by different camshaft)

- what shortcomings will there be? (example, increase in petrol consumption?)
- depending on what camshaft u using... race-cams (272degree above) usually will have more power increase at higher rpm, less stable idle rpm, abit higher fuel consumption... half-race cams (272degree below) will have less significant power increase, but powerband starts at a much lower rpm range, better stability of ur rpm at idle and aircond switched on, less effect on fuel consumption...

- what about ported & polished cylinder heads? What does it do?
- to maximize volumetric efficiency flow into ur combustion chamber... in other words, to allow air/fuel mixture to flow more freely into the combustion chamber... over ported heads can cause less power increase and worse fuel consumption... this is because velocity of liquid flow doesnt necessarily increase with the size of the pipe/hole...

- adjustable cam pulleys? What does it do?
- to adjust ur camshaft settings... either advance or retard... advance for better pickup, retard for better top end... people usuall retard it for higher bhp gain at peak power rpm.... advancing the timing till help throttle response at low end, but sacrifice top end power... adj campulley is important to get a good tuning for high camshaft...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Wah~~sifu has spoken already....but Lemon, race cam is not suitable for street use since most of the street driving your RPM won't get into the powerband of the high cam.

Suggestion is that you use a sport cam like what Sky said. I think its 264.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
any suggestion on modifying a 1.6 mivec ??
similar tuning basics apply on all types of engine... 1.6 mivec also can install highcams, port polish, ecu tuning and so on...
if u ask what camshaft spec best suit mivec 1.6, i cant help u lo... i not driving 1.6 mivec anyway....

Wah~~sifu has spoken already....but Lemon, race cam is not suitable for street use since most of the street driving your RPM won't get into the powerband of the high cam.

Suggestion is that you use a sport cam like what Sky said. I think its 264.
titan kor, u la sifoo... i small potatoe only....

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
skywalker sifu,
pls teach me in mod car....
i wanna put the 63MivecTurbo head into 93 block. pls help..
can put in the R34 gearbox ornot.>?? oso 4wd ma...

thanks...

LemonRuski

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
KL
Skywalker & everyone else who posted here...thank you so much for your help & advice !! :o)

cannondale>

1,500 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
kepong
no point to put cams into an auto gearbox, coz it works from 5k rpm above.

u need an ecu to control the a/f and work with the adjustble pulley.

if u dont have the requirement above, yur engine will run worst then before.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
no point to put cams into an auto gearbox, coz it works from 5k rpm above.

u need an ecu to control the a/f and work with the adjustble pulley.

if u dont have the requirement above, yur engine will run worst then before.
yeap... true... but if u insist, u still can install mild cams into ur engine... mild cams works at lower rpm range... give abit improvement, but less significant... and perhaps u need to mess with TCU and programming unit to get the best out of it... quite alot of trouble though....

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
both of u oledi mahaguru sifoo still wanna bully me this newbie meh??...
wah, u oredy 6xxx post liao...me still newbies ma...i just know talking crap, i dunno wat is car ma....

agree?? mr. fstrader:biggrin:

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Wah!! now start showing off the number of posting liao man!!! scary!!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi. i was wondering, wat effect if lets say a 15inch rims on the old perdana sei convert to a 17inch rims? overall size is still the same as the 15 inch rim tyres are thicker while 17 inch rims tyre are thinner.

whats the effect from chaging from 15 inch to 17 inch? and whats the effect of the thicker and thin tyres? thx. :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience