Collision:Why Teana more damaged than Myvi

May 22, 2013
Johor
I bought a Teana 2.5 bcos a friend had an accident and told me he was 1ft from death. I thot it was a solid car. However, last Sunday, a Myvi rammed into the back( driver side) of my Teana. The Myvi only had a cracked headlight housing. To my horror, half my rear bumper was damaged as was the side panel of my boot and even the rear wheel housing. The cost of the damage to my car was about 20 times the cost of the damage to the Myvi. Of course my faith in my purported premier car is also severely dented. I thot I was paying more for a safe car. How come Myvi which is supposed to be a tincan had so little damage. Or am I stupid enough to buy an expensive tincan? Can anyone advise me?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I bought a Teana 2.5 bcos a friend had an accident and told me he was 1ft from death. I thot it was a solid car. However, last Sunday, a Myvi rammed into the back( driver side) of my Teana. The Myvi only had a cracked headlight housing. To my horror, half my rear bumper was damaged as was the side panel of my boot and even the rear wheel housing. The cost of the damage to my car was about 20 times the cost of the damage to the Myvi. Of course my faith in my purported premier car is also severely dented. I thot I was paying more for a safe car. How come Myvi which is supposed to be a tincan had so little damage. Or am I stupid enough to buy an expensive tincan? Can anyone advise me?
Hmm, i think,
axle is fragile and also bumper are made of plastic.
Crash test is carried out to the side and the front.
And also crash test designed by manufacturers are to protect passenger in the shell.
If the whole car is rock hard, when you crash, the impact will crush your ribs against your seat belt,
and also if you are not wearing seat belts, you will be flown far far away through the windscreen.

One of the reason might be the angle of both cars.
The part that Myvi crashed into you, might be a hard structure.
So do please the 2 pictures of the cars.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
There's some explanation for that..

Mine are only assumption, might not be true in your case but are true in a controlled crash/collison..

cost of repairing are not inversely proportional to the safety of a car..
in modern automobile, there's crumple zone..designed to absorb the impact of a crash..
it extend the 'impact duration'...Teana might have more 'crumple zone' than a myvi...and is a supermini..

Piercing...smaller object will penetrate :rofl: more when crashed into a bigger object (with same mass)..
in this case (logically), Teana are heavier..so this explanation might not be true in your case...

Angle of attack (not GT Wings)..vertex or edge (bucu) of any object can withstand higher force...
I suspect the Myvi hit your Teana with it's front left vertex (correct word?)..
___
| |
|_T_|
/\
/M/

Up the speed, and your Teana surely protect you more than the Myvi...
And you will repair more (might not be true)...for sure Teana with pricier spare parts..

edit: drawing warped...get the idea?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Lol guys a bigger and more expensive car doesn't mean it is stronger in all sense. Unless you drive a tank. Are you sure that the myvi only has a damaged headlamp? U sure that the myvi chassis is still in original shape? Lets say yes. Now lets move to your teana. Ur bumper and side panels were kapult. Well I can tell u that they are suppose to be like that when you are hit. The chassis is to sustain an impact. Others, the panels, bumpers, etc are impulse absorber. They absorb the force so that it won't reach you. If your teana bumper and side panel are as rigid as a brick, I think you might already have a broken neck.

tazmaniac83

Known Member
Jun 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The design the car to have a crumple zone,so when get banged the car suffer more damage than the driver o passanger inside..correct me if i'm wrong...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'd rather be in the 4-star NCAP rated Teana than the 3-star NCAP rated Myvi when it comes to being in a crash.

It crumples better because of safety concerns. The force the accident is not transferred into the cabin therefore protecting the occupants but the energy has to go somewhere so it affects the body of the car.

In the case of the Myvi the force is absorbed by the headlamp and some of the force is probably transferred to the rest of the car. If it didn't crumple then it most likely went into the cabin and transferred to the driver. Ie- the driver probably got whiplash.

If you want a car that doesn't even dent in an accident, go buy yourself an older generation Mercedes. I've personally crashed into a SL65 AMG from the older generation Mercs and the only damage it received was scratched paint and a deployed airbag. My Wira on the other hand had a thrashed radiator and bent hood. Luckily my car was lower than his so I went under him instead of directly at him.

tsfatt

Dec 9, 2005
If I not wrong ..both front and back to absorb the "bang" ... maybe u can try "bang" it harder ..then u will find the car cabin structure more stronger ... just like recently I saw a news from Volvo ..they even plan to make front part ( bonnet area ) ever softer ..so that people would not die after being "banged"

The design the car to have a crumple zone,so when get banged the car suffer more damage than the driver o passanger inside..correct me if i'm wrong...

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I'd rather be in the 4-star NCAP rated Teana than the 3-star NCAP rated Myvi when it comes to being in a crash.

It crumples better because of safety concerns. The force the accident is not transferred into the cabin therefore protecting the occupants but the energy has to go somewhere so it affects the body of the car.

In the case of the Myvi the force is absorbed by the headlamp and some of the force is probably transferred to the rest of the car. If it didn't crumple then it most likely went into the cabin and transferred to the driver. Ie- the driver probably got whiplash.

If you want a car that doesn't even dent in an accident, go buy yourself an older generation Mercedes. I've personally crashed into a SL65 AMG from the older generation Mercs and the only damage it received was scratched paint and a deployed airbag. My Wira on the other hand had a thrashed radiator and bent hood. Luckily my car was lower than his so I went under him instead of directly at him.
Wah, expensive bang.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Talking about accident with a Myvi, I had once had an accident with a Myvi and my Saga BLM was on stationary when I came out from a junction.

The myvi then whacked straight to right rear passenger door at the rear. These are the damages I had on my Saga BLM. and Saga BLM
ANCAP is rated 1 star.

These are the damages. Looks bad right? U might wanna see what's the damage on the Myvi. From what I see, might not be
true but common sense wise, my car is on stationary and I was wondering was your car stationary when the myvi rammed in to you?

So, in terms oh physics, I'm actually receiving the impact totally from an incoming force direct to my rear. Which the only
reason I can think of on why my damage was worse than the myvi. Since the front of the car is always mean to protect the drivers,
so I guess there could be possibility the front of a car is always harder.

Myvi Damage.

Just a scratch, not even a dent. So, tell me about it. :hmmmm2:

I think if a head on collision a myvi vs teana, I think the driver of the myvi would be dead instead. So, I won't regret
getting a Teana.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The material they use to make the original Myvi bumper is freaking awesome. No matter how you bang the thing, as long as it doesn't crack it can be very easily pushed back into shape with your hands or a heat gun

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
new cars with higher ncap ratings are made to protect perdestrian, its a new technology. dat can easily be fixed, contact dat myvi insurance company and send it to his panel, and claim a car for ur daily commute or else the insurance company will pay for ur allowance commute daily, for as long as its going to take for ur repair to be done..

dont worry, ur teana is a very good and safe car

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The all-new BMW 5 Series, codenamed the F10, might be all the rage now but the previous generation E60 has definitely left a sizeable impression for it to try and fill.

German tuner G-Power has given the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience