Insanely High 4AFE Fuel Consumption

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I sent it for diagnosis this morning LOL... Really O2 sensor kong out... ECU signal injectors to inject super-rich... No wonder my exhaust even got back-fire sound sometimes when I opena nd close the throttle quickly... Sadly, couldn't find any 2nd hand sensors here as the 2nd generation 4A-FE parts are rare... T.T New sensor in Sabah costs RM708 form UMW...

lwc1983

May 17, 2009
I have checked my o2 sensor couple weeks ago, its no problem. I have changed petrol oil filter. Air filter shouldnt affect so much on it. My engine mileage is 160km+-, i didnt do overhaul before. The main affect i guess is on my clutch set. I think its still the ori set from new car, lol.

I felt my engine no power compare to previous used of 5-30 engine oil. Im using 10-40 as ppl recommended for an old car.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

My rpm for 100kmh is near to 3k, is this normal or not ?

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
I sent it for diagnosis this morning LOL... Really O2 sensor kong out... ECU signal injectors to inject super-rich... No wonder my exhaust even got back-fire sound sometimes when I opena nd close the throttle quickly... Sadly, couldn't find any 2nd hand sensors here as the 2nd generation 4A-FE parts are rare... T.T New sensor in Sabah costs RM708 form UMW...
Then u hav no choice but to change the O2 sensor, can ask runner in toyota forum to find 2nd, go ask AE101 wong (Ivan) aka lubang king.. :biggrin:

I have checked my o2 sensor couple weeks ago, its no problem. I have changed petrol oil filter. Air filter shouldnt affect so much on it. My engine mileage is 160km+-, i didnt do overhaul before. The main affect i guess is on my clutch set. I think its still the ori set from new car, lol.

I felt my engine no power compare to previous used of 5-30 engine oil. Im using 10-40 as ppl recommended for an old car.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Ori 4AFE use 20-50, semi 10-40 is ok as im using it too. U driving manual as im talking about Auto tranny, maybe other can giv some manual input..? My 100kmh= about 2.4k

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Ur driving a manual right? It seems ur clutch is slipping and needs a replacement.. 100kmh at final gear should be less than or around 2.5k rpm. If ur driving an auto, check the kickdown cable - i just fixed this on my car..heheh..that's how i know this. before this it upshifted very late, around 3-4k rpm..

On the lube issue, I think u use semi is fine until the engine starts to makan minyak or leaking.. temporary solution is going to mineral.. after that, total overhaul is the best option considering 4AFE is such a good engine. I dont think i would want to swap it for a diff one.

cheers bro

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah

100km/h at 3k rpm not normal la... Mine auto around 2.2k rpm. My friend's manual around 2.5 oni....

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Then u hav no choice but to change the O2 sensor, can ask runner in toyota forum to find 2nd, go ask AE101 wong (Ivan) aka lubang king.. :biggrin:

Ori 4AFE use 20-50, semi 10-40 is ok as im using it too. U driving manual as im talking about Auto tranny, maybe other can giv some manual input..? My 100kmh= about 2.4k
Lol.. I jus change it today... Used a brand new Myvi one... Seems to be working fine la... I haven't tested the FC yet... Can use Myvi one as the plug is same. Denso brand sensor. Just the sensor probe need a little bit modification to fit the sensor hole... V simple job...

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
how much is the new myvi o2 sensor? which part of the probe that have to modify? sensor head or the sensor tapak? too big? too small? tapak size too wide or too narrow? pls share more info as i guess a lot of us have aged o2 sensor.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
how much is the new myvi o2 sensor? which part of the probe that have to modify? sensor head or the sensor tapak? too big? too small? tapak size too wide or too narrow? pls share more info as i guess a lot of us have aged o2 sensor.
New Myvi sensor costs RM180 only in Sabah. Okay... To explain the modification, it's like this.

Generally there are 2 shapes of sensors. The stick type where u just plug and play and the another more complicated type (stick with bracket). The Myvi is using the first type where u can just screw the sensor into the hole while my AE111 uses the second type where under the probe, there is a bracket (metal plate with 2 holes for screw attachments). So to let the Myvi sensor fit, all you have to do is just insert a metal plate and the bottom of the probe and then make 2 hole on each side of the metal plate (left and right) to screw it to the exhaust pipe. It's hard to picture... I'll try upload pictures when i'm free. I found one problem in doing this that is the surface area of the O2 sensor being reduces due to the space being taken up by the attached bracket. But it is just minor and the technician said that it is okay...

This is one weakness of the 2nd generation 4AFE engine. The sensors are different and difficult to source. Going for original UMW is insane. Most of the universal O2 sensor sold in the market today are the stick type (just plug and play). Besides that, I found out that this 2nd generation 4AFE is not as smooth and refined at high revs due to the master and slave cam system instead of belt system camshaft. You can hear the gear whine sound when you rev high above 4k rpm...

Anyways, I am still testing my FC after this fix. But based one the needle, it seems like there is no change. But I'll wait until the full tank is gone to get the accurate FC. Besides that, my idle is still unstable. If it goes one like that, I am suspecting that the wiring that goes from the O2 sensor to ECU has a problem and not the O2 sensor...

Headache and being poor because of this shitty FC...

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
New Myvi sensor costs RM180 only in Sabah. Okay... To explain the modification, it's like this.

Generally there are 2 shapes of sensors. The stick type where u just plug and play and the another more complicated type (stick with bracket). The Myvi is using the first type where u can just screw the sensor into the hole while my AE111 uses the second type where under the probe, there is a bracket (metal plate with 2 holes for screw attachments). So to let the Myvi sensor fit, all you have to do is just insert a metal plate and the bottom of the probe and then make 2 hole on each side of the metal plate (left and right) to screw it to the exhaust pipe. It's hard to picture... I'll try upload pictures when i'm free. I found one problem in doing this that is the surface area of the O2 sensor being reduces due to the space being taken up by the attached bracket. But it is just minor and the technician said that it is okay...

This is one weakness of the 2nd generation 4AFE engine. The sensors are different and difficult to source. Going for original UMW is insane. Most of the universal O2 sensor sold in the market today are the stick type (just plug and play). Besides that, I found out that this 2nd generation 4AFE is not as smooth and refined at high revs due to the master and slave cam system instead of belt system camshaft. You can hear the gear whine sound when you rev high above 4k rpm...

Anyways, I am still testing my FC after this fix. But based one the needle, it seems like there is no change. But I'll wait until the full tank is gone to get the accurate FC. Besides that, my idle is still unstable. If it goes one like that, I am suspecting that the wiring that goes from the O2 sensor to ECU has a problem and not the O2 sensor...

Headache and being poor because of this shitty FC...
LOL.. U did not test the O2 sensor is working or not after install..? giving the right signal..?:hmmmm:

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
I also want to check my o2 sensor edi .. 3sfe should be the plug and play type .. got alternative .. good ! Thanks btw ...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
LOL.. U did not test the O2 sensor is working or not after install..? giving the right signal..?:hmmmm:
I wanted to test... but the technician said no need. Sure ok =.=. So did not test... Haiz... Looks like the FC still same... If like that, I don't know what else is the problem now. The wiring from sensor to ECU shouldn't have a problem because the other day, the signal is inconsistent. If wiring problem, there should be no signal at all...

Damn ~

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
I wanted to test... but the technician said no need. Sure ok =.=. So did not test... Haiz... Looks like the FC still same... If like that, I don't know what else is the problem now. The wiring from sensor to ECU shouldn't have a problem because the other day, the signal is inconsistent. If wiring problem, there should be no signal at all...

Damn ~
Ermm...:hmmmm: Did u reset the ecu..? maybe u hav 2 try test ur ecu bro.. as i know some ppl got issue with the ecu also.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Ermm...:hmmmm: Did u reset the ecu..? maybe u hav 2 try test ur ecu bro.. as i know some ppl got issue with the ecu also.
I mean... What could possibly happen to the ECU? It's just a circuit board and it's not programmable like e-manage or something. So how could the programme run off from the original factory settings? o.O ?

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
ECU after long time like all electronics may have capacitor bursting or transistor crack. There may also be other damages such as the oxidation of the traces etc. Anyway you can try to reset your ECU also plug out the fuse for around 10-15 minutes.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Yes over time ecu will spoiled also.. like 1st batch silvertop ecu. Try reset the ecu by removing EFI fuse, put bac after 15min. After that mark the FC if still same then need 2 try other ecu.

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
How to remove EFI fuse ? The fuse located at where ? At the engine bay or near the driver seat ?

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Oh ya btw, to reset the ECU just remove the negative connector from the battery for a few hours .. probably overnight .. then its done

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
My car a 1992 Iswara Sedan just got stolen this morning.
Its a stock standard Iswara without any modifications at all.
Sky blue colour bearing number plate WCY 5568.
Interior seats wrapped with "MOMO" blue colour fabric.
Front bumper driver's side misplaced off the fender.
Got some rust on the roof, boot and door but colour still not faded.
Stock Iswara 1992 13" sports rims.
Just trying my luck...those who have seen this car from today onwards at anywhere, please call me up...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience