Altis 1.6e manual high RPM

v2ganesh

Aug 18, 2005
melaka
Hi all,

I bought a 2nd hand toyota altis 1.6E manual (2003) 4 months ago. The car's noisier compared to my previous iswara. It revs up to 3.6k for 110km/h. I brought it to workshop and the mechanic said that the ECU and firing is fine. He suspects it's maybe due to clutch plate and advice me to change the clutch plate. Does clutch plate could give such problem? Is it normal for car to rev up to 3.3k for 100km/h. I'm newbie and i have no idea on this :confused: All the sifus please help and advice. I don't want to change the clutch plate and the problem still persists.

NA_Lover

Known Member
Jul 19, 2008
Haha.. my BT 20v rev up to 3k+ rpm too when cruising 100kmph

My car body too heavy for the engine..

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
it depend on the gear ratio, normally higher final drive ratio will give higher rev. exp: car with FD- 4.1 might rev at 2.9K rpm compare to another with 4.3 which rev at 3.2K~

worn clutch plate might cause your engine to rev higher as well, but it's hard to tell. if you were to experience where when you accelerate and you seeing your rev went up faster than your car is gaining speed, it might be a faulty clutch~ (just my opinion)

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
bro..

a simple guide to check your clutch, drive at 40-45km/h, in second gear, then use left foot to slight press the brake, and at the same time right foot press the accelerator, see if the rev goes up.. try few time to confirm, this is to check for clutch slip

if the rev goes up when u step and brake and the throttle.. then ur clutch need replacement already, if the rev goes down when you step on the brake, that mean ur clutch is still ok.

remember to do this in a empty road, left foot braking need some sensitivity training.. hehehe...juz press slightly for the speed to drop, not to brake..

got this from a troubleshooting manual.. hope it helps

cip

Apr 13, 2009
the rpm for 100km/h is 3k. Not more. That should be sthe standard accuration. for 120km/h is still less than 3.5k.

scomatic

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2005
Kota Bharu, Kel
Hi all,

I bought a 2nd hand toyota altis 1.6E manual (2003) 4 months ago. The car's noisier compared to my previous iswara. It revs up to 3.6k for 110km/h. I brought it to workshop and the mechanic said that the ECU and firing is fine. He suspects it's maybe due to clutch plate and advice me to change the clutch plate. Does clutch plate could give such problem? Is it normal for car to rev up to 3.3k for 100km/h. I'm newbie and i have no idea on this :confused: All the sifus please help and advice. I don't want to change the clutch plate and the problem still persists.
Sorry bro, I didn't have a Altis before. But i do faced the noisy which are almost same symptom as you face now, and I hope it will help you a little bit.

1st symptom that i found before:
That time is i drive Kancil but with Mira engine with LSD speed gear, when shifted to 5th gear the noise are very similar with the Bus express sound, but I still didn't care of it. 6 month later, i found out every gear are noise already. Then I send it to foremen to check, he said is gear oil need to change. So i go to change to Toyota LSD oil, and the sound was reduced (but not totally no noise)... 1 month later the noise seem coming back again. Then I think it might be something problem the speed gear already, send it foremen again. He said the LSD was KO already, so I asked him to take off the LSD and replace with normal. After done repair, the noise still remain and I already fetch up with keep replacing matter, so i decide to buy another set Kancil speed gear... After that, the noise are no more, even 1 month later I asked foremen to install back the LSD on Kancil speed gear, also no face any noise.

How to identify is speed gear (gear faulty) is when at normal speed that you might heard the noise, try to press down the clutch and keep the throttle in that rpm too. See it still have that problem or not.

2nd symptom that i found before:
That time i was driving LE with 4AGE, i do heard it a lot of noise was coming in the car especially at high rev. I heard it was some sort of like the exhaust sound, was coming in. I send the car to exhaust some and do check for me. They found the piping exhaust there got 1 hole (mean pecah). After they weld back, no this problem already.

Bump:
bro..

a simple guide to check your clutch, drive at 40-45km/h, in second gear, then use left foot to slight press the brake, and at the same time right foot press the accelerator, see if the rev goes up.. try few time to confirm, this is to check for clutch slip

if the rev goes up when u step and brake and the throttle.. then ur clutch need replacement already, if the rev goes down when you step on the brake, that mean ur clutch is still ok.

remember to do this in a empty road, left foot braking need some sensitivity training.. hehehe...juz press slightly for the speed to drop, not to brake..

got this from a troubleshooting manual.. hope it helps

bro, this method i do heard it before, and i do tried before too. All failed le.
1st time test,
The rpm can still increase, and the car move more fast. Seem like brake failure

2nd time test,
Same symptom as 1st time

3rd try,
engine stall :rofl:

During the time i test, I was with Exerdy flywheel and TRD clutch and TRD cover (all brand new). Is that mean my clutch slip?

Last edited:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
v2ganesh, it could be your clutch. To verify this, shift into 3rd or 4th gear and slam the throttle (full throttle) at about 2-3krpm. If you hear the rpm climbing quicker than the speedometer, then it should be worn out clutch plate. For best results, try this when climbing a slope. When replacing the clutch, its usually better to replace the clutch plate (lining), clutch cover, clutch bearing and also inspect the flywheel (see if it needs to be skimmed).

For factory standard Altis 1.6 MT, it shouldn't rev up to 3600rpm at 110km/h... unless the speedo is inaccurate (unlikely). Does this happen when you're cruising or when you are pressing the throttle? FYI, 4AGE 20V BT 5spd also will be around 3300-3500rpm at 110km/h. So Altis (being an economical sedan car) should be nearer to 3000rpm at 110km/h.

I would suggest you to bring your Altis to toyota SC and get it checked.

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
Bump:

bro, this method i do heard it before, and i do tried before too. All failed le.
1st time test,
The rpm can still increase, and the car move more fast. Seem like brake failure

2nd time test,
Same symptom as 1st time

3rd try,
engine stall :rofl:

During the time i test, I was with Exerdy flywheel and TRD clutch and TRD cover (all brand new). Is that mean my clutch slip?
bro...

i dun think u get what i mean, to test clutch slip, the easier to spot is wether the rpm will rise even with the speed constant or dropping... when use left foot to brake, the speed will drop, and press gas pedal to see if the rev will rise...

this is the standard manual to test clutch slip...

in your case, either u brake too hard or u pressed the gas too much... as i said if the speed n rev increase at the same time. conform no slip lah ( that is what u experience) , or engine stall - coz ur left foot too heavy...

p.s : u might need some sensitivity training on left foot braking lah... hehehe... which will help a lot on track or touge... hehehe.. dun get angry yah.. :thefinger::thefinger:

v2ganesh

Aug 18, 2005
melaka
To all the sifus, thanks for the advice. I did the above experiments and i think it's the clutch. I'm going to change clutch next month. If it works than i'll let you know guys. Thank you... :wavey:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Schumacher in 2004 after beating Loeb in a one-off challenge<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

Media information: 20 June 2007
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Michael Schumacher confirmed for the 2007 Race of Champions at Wembley Stadium
• Wembley Stadium to be transformed into a custom-built tarmac race track
• Racing...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience