feel steering shaking in high speed

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
hi sifoo,
since 3-4 month ago, my beloved ae101 seg while speeding in speed more than 120km/h, that steering start to slow shaking. before without happening this issue after i transplant my engine 2 years ago.
initially, i suspect maybe my tire thread have been finished(because this tire have been used more than 3++ yrs). then i changes whole 4 pcs to brand michellin ps3 with series 195/55/15, do alignment, wheel balancing all done. but still shaking my steering during high speed.
my suspension absorber are 4 pcs stock half cut absorber, with stock spring half cut as well. still in good condition while i bouncing with my hand.
last week ago, i had to add on the cusco type adjustable strut bar at the front, together with stock strut bar, the shaking steering is slightly better than before, but still have shake.

my question here is
1) is that my drive-shaft will due this issue?
2) i heard foremen alignment recommend me to do the wheel center alignment on the wheel. what is the function of wheel center alignment ?

for those sifoo toyotarian, pls contribute other caused to currently my problem. so headache with that.:banghead:

my

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
bro ikeong 88,
i just checked with visual look, saw that rim without any bent?:confused: is that have any symptom to identify the rim is bent?

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
rim bend can check during wheel aligment at aligment shop...try to do on-wheel balancing hope can resolved :smokin:

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
rim bend can check during wheel aligment at aligment shop...try to do on-wheel balancing hope can resolved :smokin:
hi bro,
then on wheel alignment normally charging is how much? because i never on wheel alignment on my car...normally just do the wheeling balancing.:rolleyes:

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
alignment in average will cost you RM30 for front and back. Looking at the response, the possible cause that I can think of is:
1. wheel balancing not accurate
2. Bent alloy rims..
3. worn steering rack/column components
4. chassis bent (if major accidents happen before)

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
possible causes of steering vibration at speeds between 110-130 (will normally dissapear above 130)

1. tyres unbalanced. either rims unbalanaced or tyres got bengkak
2. drive shaft bent

go do full balancing for all 4 tyres. when they take out yr tyres for balancing u can see when they spin the wheel if yr tyre bengkak or rims bengkok. if rims bengkok, can knock back (ard rm50/rim?) but u'll never get back a perfectly balanced rim. if you see yr tyres not being totally round (bengkak) u should check yr absorbers...a ruined absorber doesnt absorb bounces well enough so the tyre doesnt wear evenly...causing it to not be completely round...the more the tyre gets bengkak, the more it bounces...vicious cycle.

are you using aftermarket sport rims? have you installed the hub rings? its an aluminium ring that fits on the hub that perfectly centres the rims to yr hubs. if u already done rim balancing but u install it lopsided, u'll also get vibration.

if you have done all the above and still having vibration, try doing an on wheel balancing. this is not good for the diff and a big no no if u got LSD.

if you have already done all the above and still having vibration, highest suspect is a bent driveshaft. i left this till last as it's the most expensive to fix :) i dont think theres a way to test this...only way is to change to a new set.

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
possible causes of steering vibration at speeds between 110-130 (will normally dissapear above 130)

1. tyres unbalanced. either rims unbalanaced or tyres got bengkak
2. drive shaft bent

go do full balancing for all 4 tyres. when they take out yr tyres for balancing u can see when they spin the wheel if yr tyre bengkak or rims bengkok. if rims bengkok, can knock back (ard rm50/rim?) but u'll never get back a perfectly balanced rim. if you see yr tyres not being totally round (bengkak) u should check yr absorbers...a ruined absorber doesnt absorb bounces well enough so the tyre doesnt wear evenly...causing it to not be completely round...the more the tyre gets bengkak, the more it bounces...vicious cycle.

are you using aftermarket sport rims? have you installed the hub rings? its an aluminium ring that fits on the hub that perfectly centres the rims to yr hubs. if u already done rim balancing but u install it lopsided, u'll also get vibration.

if you have done all the above and still having vibration, try doing an on wheel balancing. this is not good for the diff and a big no no if u got LSD.

if you have already done all the above and still having vibration, highest suspect is a bent driveshaft. i left this till last as it's the most expensive to fix :) i dont think theres a way to test this...only way is to change to a new set.
bro, arturo,
thanks a lot about identify my possibility causes, as u mentioned, currently i using aftermarket rim with tire size 195/55/15. tire type is just changes around 3 month ++ with ps3 tire michelin. hub rings basically have used before i changes tis michelin ps3. is it possible that hub rings will be faulty? because tis hub ring already used more than 2yrs +++ .:confused:

and some more what is the different between on wheel balancing and wheel balancing? how the alignment foremen to do?:confused:

is let said drives shaft bent? have any method to identify? meant how justify out whether drive shaft is bent or faulty?:confused:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
feipepe...off wheel balancing is when they take yr rims+tyres off the car n put it into a wheel balancing machine which spins it at high speed to find where it is unbalanced. on wheel balancing is when they jack up yr car, sit on a skidoo-like machine which then attaches a wheel like mechanism onto yr car wheel spins the wheel while still attached to yr car

the hub rings shouldnt fail that easily...simple test is take off yr wheels. then re-attach. shake yr wheels without the locknuts installed. if the wheels can move around the hub (off centre from hub) means yr hub ring either worn out or wrong size...

i really dunno if there is a way to test drive shaft precision...and if there were, i dont think it'll be cost effective. thats y u have to eliminate all other possible failures before deducing that the drive shaft is the culprit. just as Sherlock Holmes said...eliminate all other factors and the one which remains must be the truth.. :biggrin:

pi_zayo

Aug 28, 2008
good advice from tonyops and arturo.

my situation AE111 steering vibrate at 90-100km/hr. but once hit above 110km/hr, the vibration gone.
due to:
1.) front right hit a big pot hole at puchong years ago. the front right stock wheel cap flew away.
2.) accident front right until rear end by a hit-and-run night time when park outside house years ago.

checked out all rims no dent (stock 185/60/14), off wheel balancing, alignment, replaced leaking steering rack with half-cut, replaced aged stock shock absorbers and coil spring with tokico shocks and toyota stock spring, replaced camber bolt at front right due to that accident, whatever can be done has been done. still come back the vibration at 90-100km/hr.
lastly, my mech suggested to do on-wheel alignment as last resort. but i did not.
so just leave it as it is.
sometimes, the mech not fully tighten the wheel lock nuts may cause this too.

until last month i replaced all bushings. went to do wheel balancing and alignment. the vibration is now eliminated almost 80-90%. satisfied.

Toyota Corolla Owners - steering rack rattling sound

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
steering shaking or vibrating??

If shaking, something very wrong edi....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

im using a 1983 e28........
how to cuci da spark plugs?

the plugs are
SPARK PLUGS BOSCH SUPER BP5ES
W8DC

can sum1 teach me any other ways to wash the plugs?
the technique im using now is
i first wash it in petrol.....then i use a tooth brush to wash the head.......then i wash again n use the sand paper to scrap the black stuffz....(if not mistaken is copper oxide) then i wash again.......kau tim.....clean like new....
any other wayz? plz share

*reposting this...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience