Waja 4G18 Brake Problem

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi to all expert at here ,the Waja I bought around half years ago always have this kind of brake pedal sinking problem , it just felt not right and not confidence to drive fast , it will stop and can lock the wheel up "without ABS" ...

Been upgrade to steel braided line , leaky front caliper replace with twin pot from evo 3 ,DBA Slotted rotors & new Project MU pads ...

The problem still remains , it will reach the floor if I put pressure constantly on the pedal , I need to pump like 3 to 4 times for it to be at normal biting point ...

And when car is stopped when I push the pedal all the way I can heard like hiss noise come underneath from the dashboard , when the engine is off the pedal feels nice and firm , once the engine started it feels like a hose was out or something similar causing no resistance in the brake system , just goes to the floor completely ... It is drive able but just feel totally no confidence on the brake system .

Anyone have an opinion what I need to check out on the brake system ?

Thanks =)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Your brakes are servo assisted, so when engine is off the servo is not working. Once you start the engine vacuum assist the braking. Since you are having the pedal going all the way down problem, it is mostly likely your brake master pump problem. Have it checked....

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
The Lucas Brake Master pump is notorious in failing after a while. Change to a mitsubishi unit and you will be good.

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Have u check ur master pump?
nope not yet , but heard from a Mech said that the brand is same as the one that is use by BMW ... Dunno if its true =S

Change the Master pump/servo and service your caliper.
Caliper has been services before installing into the car , just the rear pair leave untouched as there is no sign of leaking .

Your brakes are servo assisted, so when engine is off the servo is not working. Once you start the engine vacuum assist the braking. Since you are having the pedal going all the way down problem, it is mostly likely your brake master pump problem. Have it checked....
The Lucas Brake Master pump is notorious in failing after a while. Change to a mitsubishi unit and you will be good.
So do I just need to replace the master cylinder or I need to replace the Vacuum Servo together with the MC as an assembly ?

Which model of donor Mitsubishi cars should I take from ? Does it is a plugnplay thing or need to modify/customize something to fit into Waja Body ?

Thanks for the useful advice , & sorry for alot of question .hehe =P

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
For waja,its abit diff for model with and without abs.
However,u can just plugged whicever output nozzle u dont use on the master pump.

just replace the broken part.u can replace whole set but a bit expensive.have the servo and master pump checked.
i have a used Lucas master pump from 1.8 model waja in my store if its compatible.pm me if u want the pic.

buying used part is a 50/50 thing.
the good thing is u can be sure that it is original part and not cheapo taiwan/china part.
bad thing is it might work or might leak again soon.so u will need to replace the pump kit or seal or replace it again.
good thing abt buying ori part is that it will 99.99% solve the problem and last very long.higher price though.

Last month i replace the servo on my pajero as it produce whistling sound when the brake pedal is released.the chop shop sell the servo with the brake pump at rm180.however i only used the servo and reinstall my old master pump as i know its condition and dont want to waste time on grequent repair if the pump leaks.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So do I just need to replace the master cylinder or I need to replace the Vacuum Servo together with the MC as an assembly ?

Which model of donor Mitsubishi cars should I take from ? Does it is a plugnplay thing or need to modify/customize something to fit into Waja Body ?

Thanks for the useful advice , & sorry for alot of question .hehe =P
If not sure, get a mechanic to have a look. Usually will be Master pump problem, so if that is it, just change that....

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For waja,its abit diff for model with and without abs.
However,u can just plugged whicever output nozzle u dont use on the master pump.

just replace the broken part.u can replace whole set but a bit expensive.have the servo and master pump checked.
i have a used Lucas master pump from 1.8 model waja in my store if its compatible.pm me if u want the pic.

buying used part is a 50/50 thing.
the good thing is u can be sure that it is original part and not cheapo taiwan/china part.
bad thing is it might work or might leak again soon.so u will need to replace the pump kit or seal or replace it again.
good thing abt buying ori part is that it will 99.99% solve the problem and last very long.higher price though.

Last month i replace the servo on my pajero as it produce whistling sound when the brake pedal is released.the chop shop sell the servo with the brake pump at rm180.however i only used the servo and reinstall my old master pump as i know its condition and dont want to waste time on grequent repair if the pump leaks.
If not sure, get a mechanic to have a look. Usually will be Master pump problem, so if that is it, just change that....
Mine is the one without ABS .... I think Waja 1.8 one won't fit as all 1.8 has come with ABS already ...

Might just replace the MC unit & leave the servo alone 1st and see how it's going , anyone have any idea how much a new Lucas MC for the 1st batch waja with Mitsubishi 4G18 gonna cost ?

I have another thought is ,is there is any double layer servo from any car that can be installed into the Waja body ? If there is I might consider give it a upgrade as the standard parts already at end of its service life .

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes.. Evo3 servo pnp. But make sure you get a good condition one. Otherwise just buy a new Waja WC la. No need to mod. Peace of mind.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes.. Evo3 servo pnp. But make sure you get a good condition one. Otherwise just buy a new Waja WC la. No need to mod. Peace of mind.
What is WC? :confused: or you mean MC? :smokin:

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Mine is the one without ABS .... I think Waja 1.8 one won't fit as all 1.8 has come with ABS already ...

Might just replace the MC unit & leave the servo alone 1st and see how it's going , anyone have any idea how much a new Lucas MC for the 1st batch waja with Mitsubishi 4G18 gonna cost ?

I have another thought is ,is there is any double layer servo from any car that can be installed into the Waja body ? If there is I might consider give it a upgrade as the standard parts already at end of its service life .
When buying your MC get the same size bore or bigger. Smaller then you will need more force to brake.
Sizes are like 3/4", 7/8", 15/16" something like that. I changed before and my VR is Mitsu so uses Proton parts too.....:driver:

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If not mistaken evo 3 servo can fit.
price should be rm 180 - rm 230.
What is WC? :confused: or you mean MC? :smokin:

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

When buying your MC get the same size bore or bigger. Smaller then you will need more force to brake.
Sizes are like 3/4", 7/8", 15/16" something like that. I changed before and my VR is Mitsu so uses Proton parts too.....:driver:
Thanks very much for the info , really appreciate it =)

Just did some google search & found out if I install vacuum servo from another car will need to customize/cut the metal piping from the MC which I feel not safe to do such job on the brake system =X

But that guy install a Vacuum servo from a Nissan to a wira , I'm not sure if this is the same situation as EVO 3 Vacuum Servo into Waja , link is here :tacra's diy garage: Double Layer Servo Brake

Please give me your opinion guys .

Thanks again =)

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks very much for the info , really appreciate it =)

Just did some google search & found out if I install vacuum servo from another car will need to customize/cut the metal piping from the MC which I feel not safe to do such job on the brake system =X

But that guy install a Vacuum servo from a Nissan to a wira , I'm not sure if this is the same situation as EVO 3 Vacuum Servo into Waja , link is here :tacra's diy garage: Double Layer Servo Brake

Please give me your opinion guys .

Thanks again =)
Don't mod the servo. Get one that is larger and that can plug and play.

Something like what I did. I transfer from VR half cut to my Super Saloon. Then my super saloon one to my Wira 1.5. VR one is like double layer, Super Saloon one was single layer but bigger then my 1.5 wira ones....all plug and play....:driver:

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Don't mod the servo. Get one that is larger and that can plug and play.

Something like what I did. I transfer from VR half cut to my Super Saloon. Then my super saloon one to my Wira 1.5. VR one is like double layer, Super Saloon one was single layer but bigger then my 1.5 wira ones....all plug and play....:driver:
The thing is the vacuum servo seems plugnplay just the metal piping to master cylinder was not in the right position ....

I in favour of double layer vacuum servo feel ... My SLK & E46 had ATE double layer vacuum servo as stock system and the pedal feel is great ... I wonder if a evo 3 vacuum servo on Waja will provide the same nice & firm feel if not close to it ~

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just got 1 bottle of Tufoil from Tesco to try it out wonder if it's genuine.

Are Tufoil attracted to magnetic force?
I'm probably going to add a strong magnet on my oil filter and if Tufoil is attracted to magnets, then it'll be wasteful if I do that.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience