Can VTEC engine use RON95?

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Hi bros,

Just want to know is it ok for VTEC engine to use RON95 fuel as now RON97 price is picking up & up again. Heard it will goes up again by end of this month.

1. Ok to use RON95?

2. Will RON95 damage our VTEC engine for long term?

Just scare that RON97 will be back to RM2.70 :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Yes, vtec engines with knock sensor and knock board equipped ecu's can run ron95 without issues. For those suffering knock due to not using the above setup, retarding the statice Ignition by two degrees should do it without needing to retune. For those modified to higher compression, might need more retard since their ecu mapping is more aggresive, but this might increase engine temperature. By how much, I dunno since dependent on the compression you run.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Of course, if you run custom ecu mapping, this is another story, and retarding your ignition is a sure way to reduce power, but it is a way you can run the engine with ron95.

Already tried this when not all petrol stations carry 97 RON long ago

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
I am using RON95 since day one ..

Sil80-13

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2009
Oh. Which mean there is no issue use RON95 petrol on all VTEC engines. That's good...:biggrin:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Oh. Which mean there is no issue use RON95 petrol on all VTEC engines. That's good...:biggrin:
Only if your engine is standard with standard ECU.. if not so standard, might have knocking.. so have to retard timing.

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
mmm.. my b16b experienced some bubbling noises (brupp brupp) coming from exhaust when using RON95....

This is not evident when I switched to RON97, i achieved better mileage with RON97 than RON95 though.... (so I've used RON97 since then)

FYI, my engine is stock other than normal mods such as IHE

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
mmm.. my b16b experienced some bubbling noises (brupp brupp) coming from exhaust when using RON95....

This is not evident when I switched to RON97, i achieved better mileage with RON97 than RON95 though.... (so I've used RON97 since then)

If you really want to use RON95, find a mechanic with an adjustable timing light (the ones that can dial back from zero) and retard igntion by a degree or two. It'll reduce power a bit, but should help make your car idle better.

Still, if you can afford RON97, use it. I'm still using RON97 even though I can detune my car to run RON95.

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
Yes.. Adjustment/tuning might get the engine running nicely with RON95.

I'm sticking wit RON97 just becuz it gave me better power/torque and better mileage. ;-)

But if RON97 goes to $2.70 per liter, I'm gonna seriously think about getting the Honda Insight.

Hybrid cars are not taxed by our Gov, dun wan let them earn the car's taxes.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
i wish i could continue using ron97 but i stopped since the price was at 2.05...i've retarded till no more knocking(no strobe tuning but ear tuning) n used ron95 since then. now when i take off from a junction...can hear BRRRRRRRRROP but no go.

i hate my life.

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
this is the time when you find that having a standalone is good.
Can always retune to run ron95 without the brooop sound. :P

Anyway, if fuel prices go up somemore, who knows? maybe I can buy supercharger/turbocharger kit for cheap as people sell off theirs.. hahaha..

Californians have been running 91octane for years for their turbos
(they use AKI, also known as PON, (Ron/mon)/2, etc), not RON rating like Malaysia.

so 91 octane for them is like 95RON for Malaysia.) They even have our old 92RON fuel, which they rate as 87 octane

Here's a discussion of it.
http://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/us-octane-vs-other-countries-octane-ratings-59435/

So why worry? It's not like it's 91-92RON like a few years ago.. just tune to new fuel.. and don't push the ignition so high..
I think for N/A,. horsepower losses will be minimal (since we don't make 300+hp anyway) for turbos, I expect the losses to be higher..

Hey, I tried running 95 octane last time when not all petrol station carry them.

Last edited:

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
So, it's make sense to conclude that all K20A-R in DC5R,EP3R,CL7 (except FD2R-Donno why as mentioned by Honda M'sia) safe using Ron95?

just bertanya..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
So, it's make sense to conclude that all K20A-R in DC5R,EP3R,CL7 (except FD2R-Donno why as mentioned by Honda M'sia) safe using Ron95?

just bertanya..
Those are non ignition adjustable cars, as they run individual coil packs so they have to depend on the knock sensor to retard ignition, it's a response system, it retards at the first sign of knock so for cars that already run high ignition timings, the first knock may be permanently damaging.

For older gens, the timing is adjustable via the distributor, and the initial setting for most old gen honda are set conservatively, and doesn't really knock easily/excessively unless unreasonable loads are forced on them (hence the statement of being stock)

The higher you are from sea level, the less octane is needed, due to lower air pressures at higher altitude which reduces compression in car engines. As most of us live near sea level, we can't run away from using higher octane.

So Honda Malaysia is right on not recommending RON95 on those cars.

Then again, Cali users have been stuck using 91AKI/95RON for ages.. it could be that their stock ECUs are mapped for their climate, and considerations of locale. They also have region specific models, so I can't say for sure about newer generations of hondas like you stated.

Actually for more info, you can call up Shell and Honda Malaysia, and they do entertain these kinds of enquiries.. just that most people don't know about it. I know Shell has a customer service line for these enquiries.. not sure for other fuel companies as I've only talked to Shell people about it.

Shell Customer Service
Contact Our Customer Service Centre - Malaysia

drewn123

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005

just bertanya..
Honda Malaysia didn't sell DC5, EP3R, CL7... so why they bother?? :biggrin::biggrin:

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Honda Malaysia didn't sell DC5, EP3R, CL7... so why they bother?? :biggrin::biggrin:
Yer la. Why must Honda bother as they are not selling those model! hehehe

I've accidently full-tanked my CL7R with Ron95 sometimes last year..so just drive off until it completely finished. The only side-effect that I noticed was the exhaust produce boom-boom sound & car felt a bit heavy.

Hopefully no side effect or nothing..so far no problem until today.

Faceless

Jan 17, 2005
for those TYPE-R engine (EK9, EP3, DC5R, CL7, FD2R) must use RON97, normal vtec and i-vtec can use RON95.

sahaX

Jun 3, 2009
heard that Ron-95 can make car burn more easily in accident.. be careful...

skye_n1

Mar 21, 2009
heard that Ron-95 can make car burn more easily in accident.. be careful...
RON refers to the ability of gasoline to auto burn inside the engine(knocking). Simply say, RON97 is harder to burn compared to RON95.

civicskunk2

Aug 13, 2008
from my opinion, its tunable. use ron95 tune to ron95, use ron97 tune to ron97. that all. if use ron95, even on tune have to drive the car less aggressive cause u can't push the car since u already push to use ron95 right? have to drive according to situation. example, drive with less passenger can push the car...if heavy load have to drive conservative, have to drive with the correct gear. if drive during night or morning time when the air temp is lower can push the car a bit. this sounds like u r driving a turbo corvert??? but this is a way to preserve the engine. to push the car at the right moment, right time. coz type r was born to push hard, but with ron100. use lower ron then don't push...
then many will say why buy it? some people dream to own a fd2r coz its the best NA car from Honda. the exterior, interior first class. not all want to race the car?to race when you want to but for ron95 case, race when the situation allows it. if you ask me, i could live with it. but if lets say ron95 bhp gives knock all the time, then i surrender.hands down...

kenshin

<3 My Lil Honda
Dec 17, 2004
Penang , M'sia
www.kenshin2.tk
How bout 8th gen civic ? Ron95 ok ? I'm a regular shell ron95 user. But my mechanic told me to change to either petronas or called cuz the fuel is cleaner ?

civicskunk2

Aug 13, 2008
is like this..for your own good test both shell and petronas. which one is good for your drive. some people like power rather than fuel saving others like the opposite. so its depends to ur liking...to me shell is the worst...petronas however some turbo european cars performs well. for na bhp the best for me. but tried bhp to polo tsi not so good.(in terms of power). for me for std car if the car goes well so do the mileage...if tuned cars have to check AFR...first then can drive to save fuel...

drive to safe fuel it takes skills...if the car it self is already shit.....how well u drive will not get good mileage...i mean shit is the car shit from factory...example hyundai elantra 1.6 year 2004. heavy car put small engine...sure suffer...

in this case honda is ok.but i learn 1.8 is underpowered weight to ratio. 2.0 is ok..

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

that was first time ron95 introduced. now they already make ron95 less burning..thats why nowadays no more car burning...u see ron95 ours not the same as other country...the first time ron95 was born, that time it was ron92 or ron93. many complaints...so they up the ron until there was no complaints at all...there you get your ideal malaysia ron95. no more burning coz ron was increased. higher ron petrol hard to burn...

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
wow, still discussing on RON? all over the world using RON95 as standard fuel...
In Indonesia highest in RON95....

Car burning due to RON95?? I agree it's easier to burn...easier in term of what? How much 'easier'.
There are intense heat, direct spark and compression in an engine..blaming the fuel RON number was really unnecessary.

alanvtec

Sep 4, 2012
perak

bro,try use caltex's ron95 techron..my b16a also have same problem as your b16b..that time i used petronas and shell ron95 fuel..but after i fill in caltex the problem just gone..

btw,remember dont change to ron97 suddenly,,it will affect the b-series injectors..

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

you can use ron95 fuel for vtec engines but make sure u reduce the usage of petronas,shell ron95 fuel..to me it doesnt fit to the vtec..use caltex..or even esso and mobil quite good..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Zhuhai (China), 4 November 2007 – The 2007 Asian Touring Car Series season drew to a close this weekend at the Zhuhai International Circuit, China on Sunday with the final two rounds of the series. Spearheading the PETRONAS Syntium Team’s challenge for rounds 9 and 10 was Malaysian Mohd Fariqe Hairuman who was on Sunday crowned as the new 2007 Asian Touring Car Series Champion. Despite suffering a retirement in the final...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience