VTEC RON95 Myth

then probably your s300 has the knock sensor turned on, thus pulling ign timing on knock, hence the 'heavy feel' instead of the pinging sound of knocking.

if not, then it is possible that you have ignition/spark related issues. which should not be related to what fuel you run. I'm also in s300, but I have to disable the knock sensor due to running forged pistons. they rattle a bit when cold.

The way you described sound like missed spark or retarded timing.
I do remember earlier versions of hondata maps (pre 1.2.0) have issues of corruption after multiple map uploads and downloads. Had that back in early 2003/05's. Certain rpms bogged due to ecu randomly pulling timing. by 1.4.0, they fixed that so should not be an issue now.

First, swap your plugs, secondly try swapping your cables. I had this same issue. turned out it was my spark plug cables causing a no spark/misfire. At first thought it was tuning, but no, I couldn't tune out the bogging that only happens at sudden full throttle conditions.

It could be the mapping also, so check that too. But sometimes its just old plug cables giving too much resistance and giving you a weak spark

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I will check my spark plugs and cables. Then I will update. One more question before I do that. How would I know uf it really was the plug or cable? Why I say this is because this doesn't happen always. I can say that iirc the last time it happened was about a month ago, the choking I mean and that was right after refueling with Esso.

Does the 'choking' happens at 2.5k-3.5k rpm?

Yes bro. Roughly around that range. Have you also experienced before?

I will check my spark plugs and cables. Then I will update. One more question before I do that. How would I know uf it really was the plug or cable? Why I say this is because this doesn't happen always. I can say that iirc the last time it happened was about a month ago, the choking I mean and that was right after refueling with Esso.

Have you tried another Esso station, probably more are Petron now. This is because one friend last time pump Shell and had bad performance, tried another station and was okay. Suspect adulterated petrol....:mad:

hehe...im using rm20 @ rm30 ron 95..than add rm10 ron97 v power no knocking if want to caught by AES....ehehehe...better...but bhp ron 95 better than oth 95 for my car la...dont know oth ppl car...hehee..long distance balik kampung im sure to fill in the same amount...said ron95 rm30, sure add later rm30 ron97...got power a bit and quite save la...for me...

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Does the 'choking' happens at 2.5k-3.5k rpm?

maybe fuel filter choking kot....not the ron...ron sure knocking or the ron got mix cheap cheap thing....hehehe...

Yes bro. Roughly around that range. Have you also experienced before?

random test, I tried tuning, didn't work,
then I tried new distributor, no go either, then I replaced my cables since my mech said its old already, and that solved the problem. plugs I replaced at the same time, so possibly the plugs, but I doubt it since those plugs went into another car without problems.

the problem is quite random, I guess the cables were just getting old. they are wear and tear items too.

but mine was more often than yours. if I am at slow speed like 2-4k rpm, I drop gear and floor it, immediately the engine bogs/chokes

if yours happens very infrequently, I am not sure.

Could be a dirty tank or fuel. perhaps the place where you fuelled up, the tanks at the station are due for change. They do have to replace the tanks due to corrosion and age too. So you got dirty petrol.

I thought yours were frequent.
Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom