Engine Oil from Tesco

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Personally i will buy oil from supermarket rather than spare part shop. I have been using oil from supermarket for more than 5 years on multiple make and model. I trust them more than sparepart shop. I even have no problem using Tesco brand...Oh yes i am using Tesco brand oil on my car. It all depend on whats up on sale and if it fits my criteria.

Unlike spare part shop, hypermart are more stringent on what they put on their shelf. One false move and everything is at risk. Buying from part shop have a higher risk. Go ask around and find how many shop can guarantee their oil is ori. I find it myself most of the time they themselves didnt even know if its ori or recycle.

On cheap oil, u just go and light a cigarette while observing at a spare part shop which sell those cheap oil..just observe the type of people whom buy these oil. Its either they buy for cheapo customer or for them as thats the oil they can afford or they want to use under their own will. The product is there because there are demand. Same goes for oil at Tesco.

If oil company fail to see this trend then then fail to cope. If they fail to cope then they fail to compete. When they fail to compete they start to push their sale team kaw2.once their sale team got push kaw2 they start to.....
Problem also lies on the transporter. They can change a few cartons during delivery so shops would not suspect. And Since hyper and super market sells cheaper, oil companies now different advertisement Says their oil suits Malaysian hot climate unlike those from EU...lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Problem also lies on the transporter. They can change a few cartons during delivery so shops would not suspect. And Since hyper and super market sells cheaper, oil companies now different advertisement Says their oil suits Malaysian hot climate unlike those from EU...lol
And people choose to believe that. These poeple did not even think..just blindly take it as good.
Still these group does not affect the sale of oil at supermarket. Dont believe me...i nearly punch a guy in the face couple month ago for putting 3 bottle of the Shell helix 5-40w in his trolley thus clearing the shelf....in my heart lah, not real.
It was RM129!!!

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
And people choose to believe that. These poeple did not even think..just blindly take it as good.
Still these group does not affect the sale of oil at supermarket. Dont believe me...i nearly punch a guy in the face couple month ago for putting 3 bottle of the Shell helix 5-40w in his trolley thus clearing the shelf....in my heart lah, not real.
It was RM129!!!
Punch? You're damn scary lah. Last time when I bought, I took 6. :biggrin:

Reactions: xtremeleo

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
It was RM129!!!
Lucky not me lol... But I bought it for 4 for RM115 (few months back )and another 5 for RM90 like a month ago. But then again the whole shelf was still full of bottles.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
:biggrin:
Punch? You're damn scary lah. Last time when I bought, I took 6. :biggrin:
hihihi....in my heart lah...
pity the other guy abit lah when u notice him giving that cute kitten look to u as u sapu habis the oil he want..he just want 1 bottle only.

Marc60

Nov 7, 2018
I guess there is an assumption by most people that Group 3 syns are not real synthetic , in a way that's true. Btw a semi syn is a grp II oil mixed with at least 30% group III.
The argument about group 3 being not real FS began in 1999 when castrol marketed their Syntec Group 3 (hydrocracked mineral) .
Excerpt :
"In the late 1990s, Castrol started selling an oil made from Group III base oil and called it SynTec Full Synthetic. Mobil sued Castrol, asserting that this oil was not synthetic, but simply a highly refined petroleum oil, and therefore it was false advertising to call it synthetic. In 1999, Mobil lost their lawsuit. It was decided that the word "synthetic" was a marketing term and referred to properties, not to production methods or ingredients. Castrol continues to make SynTec out of Group III base oils, that is highly purified oil with most all of the cockroach bits removed.

Shortly after Mobil lost their lawsuit, most oil companies started reformulating their synthetic oils to use Group III base stocks instead of PAOs or diester stocks as their primary component. Most of the "synthetic oil" you can buy today is actually mostly made of this highly-distilled and purified dino-juice called Group III oil. Group III base oils cost about half as much as the synthetics. By using a blend of mostly Group III oils and a smaller amount of "true" synthetics, the oil companies can produce a product that has nearly the same properties as the "true" synthetics, and nearly the same cost as the Group III oil. In fact, Mobil-1 is now primarily made from Group III unconventional base oils, exactly the stuff Mobil was claiming was not really synthetic. The much more expensive traditional synthetics are now available in their pure forms only in more expensive and harder to obtain oils."

So to summarize, there is no need to be pedantic about off the shelf synthetics like Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Magatec , or Mobil 1 not being "true" FS, their performance is already VERY close to Group IV(Amsoil/REDLINE/ RP) In fact, it has been shown that additives blend in better with the lower base oil. You will be hard pressed to tell a difference at 10000km OCI.
To cap this, let me show you a video.
Damn. I never knew there a lot more behind the engine lubricants industry.

Marc60

Nov 7, 2018
Already mentioned many times over..YES brand-name oils from tesco and giant can be trusted.
Perhaps. But what im sure of that there was issue before where the products was not well-handled by those supermarket workers which causing packaging defect such as leaks or dents on the bottle. Hence, people assume that the engine oil was compromised or altered..

Marc60

Nov 7, 2018
It was RM129!!!
Lol! Just not your luck. If all store finish just go to the shell station buy lor. I heard they doing promotion currently..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Perhaps. But what im sure of that there was issue before where the products was not well-handled by those supermarket workers which causing packaging defect such as leaks or dents on the bottle. Hence, people assume that the engine oil was compromised or altered..
I remember the main issue was that most EU oil don't have the seal under the bottle cap......

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Oh yeah tip for you guys, Giant Bukit Tinggi Klang seems to have the most of Shell Helix Ultra stock whenever there is a sale.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

frenz....

i need to know about how much market selling halfcut for 4G92 MIVEC....??

anybody know??
the prize will include what parts??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience