RON95 & RON97 Myths and Facts

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Really? My 2 x myvi, Wira, Innova and Sylphy all no difference in mileage. Wira had difference in power je but only because of the compression settings.
yes... really... i also felt a difference in power or throttle response.. but didnt mention it coz dun wan ppl think its placebo :P...no dyno tests though...but fifth gear did a test on different fuels before.

This is pretty interesting, given than there's no property in Ron97 that would contribute more mileage than Ron95.

How about fuel station? Did you refuel both Ron 95 and Ron 97 at the same fuel station? Did you use the same brand?

Don't mind me asking, just curious is all.
actually yes... the same fuel station everytime... petronas near my in-law's house...at the time still dating n not married yet.. so i had to drive there alot...... for both RON95 and RON97.

i'd have to assume that the RON97 gives better combustion and abit more power that the engine requires less effort to move the car hence needing lesser fuel..

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Because direct injection.
Not only because direct injection. The length of the extractor aka exhaust manifold is longer,significantly reduced the exhaust temperature from the engine.

Any sifu here got better understanding on skyactiv engine structure please correct me and share your knowledge.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
True fact is the whole article is a myth & the only way to gain more mileage not by changing the RON number but to change the driving style :listen:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
my satria only require minimum ron95 hence no gain worth the money of more expensive fuel....

but...

my boosted other ride....designed to run on ron98+ fuel in the first place...and had to detuned it with lower static compression...then only it would behave quite ok on RON95 fuel.....but...even with the mechanical detune done....i still found out that running RON97 (the highest octane fuel available here) still giving me good benefits......

the differences according to my butt and ears tell me:

1- i no longer need richer fuel mixture (i ran adjustable fuel regulator...used to run with higher base pressure...now can return to stock standard fuel pressure)

2- better low rpm torque especially town driving/stop n go situation/overtaking situation

3- better mileage since i no longer needed to downshift whenever i need to overtake peopel (with ron95 the engine just simply knocking if i didnt downshift to overtake/accelerate)...

4- better mileage since i can retain the same cruising speed with less throttle position.... (in fact i can retain higher cruising speed with same throttle position and save my journey time) :driver: :rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Last week, I pumped RON97 for the first time since I got my 4G15 Wira. So far, I din't see much difference in mileage yet. Power remains roughly the same. One thing that I felt is different is when I am driving at lower rpm in higher gear, let's say like maybe under 20kmh in 3rd gear after crossing a speed bump, the car's engine vibration seems to be lesser compared to the time when I am using RON95. Previously if I did the same thing, the car will vibrate and shake more violently as if the engine will stall.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Haha! Thanks for the feedback on the article but article not done by me. Glad that lots of comments and feedbacks about the article which clears things up.

I only realised one thing from the article and like what vr2turbo said. Cars that do not require RON97, and only RON 95, wont have too much difference after pumping.

For my Kancil especially. Not much difference. For Kelisa wise, feels smoother on RON97.

Both cars clock about the same mileage.

Have yet to test on my last car. But if due to previous experience. I do get smoother and more responsive drive with RON97 vs RON95.

Anyway, if is true that if your car dont need RON97 then don't pump RON97, isnt it better to just stick to RON95 then? Since is more than sufficient to get the car running.

Just pumped RON95 in Kancil yesterday since RON97 Petron says "Maaf Rosak Kerana Harga RON97 terlalu Rendah"

Frankly, it feels almost the same as RON97. No power loss or whatsoever. Mileage is same. In fact, I did get 260KM mileage on RON95.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Haha! Thanks for the feedback on the article but article not done by me. Glad that lots of comments and feedbacks about the article which clears things up.

I only realised one thing from the article and like what vr2turbo said. Cars that do not require RON97, and only RON 95, wont have too much difference after pumping.

For my Kancil especially. Not much difference. For Kelisa wise, feels smoother on RON97.

Both cars clock about the same mileage.

Have yet to test on my last car. But if due to previous experience. I do get smoother and more responsive drive with RON97 vs RON95.

Anyway, if is true that if your car dont need RON97 then don't pump RON97, isnt it better to just stick to RON95 then? Since is more than sufficient to get the car running.

Just pumped RON95 in Kancil yesterday since RON97 Petron says "Maaf Rosak Kerana Harga RON97 terlalu Rendah"

Frankly, it feels almost the same as RON97. No power loss or whatsoever. Mileage is same. In fact, I did get 260KM mileage on RON95.
Your Kancil on carb isn't it? I thought that some cars with fuel injection will adjust air fuel ratio accordingly to what type of fuel you pump. That's why I think that carburetors won't make much difference when using different RON.

Got such thing as rosak kerana harga terlalu rendah? :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
LOL, why a girl pic at the end of your post?

BTW, you din't mention anything about compression ratio at all. High compression engines requires higher octane rating fuel to prevent knocking.
Your Kancil on carb isn't it? I thought that some cars with fuel injection will adjust air fuel ratio accordingly to what type of fuel you pump. That's why I think that carburetors won't make much difference when using different RON.

Haha! Ya I know, that's why i call it testing and see on kancil since only 20 sens difference :rofl:
Now back to RON95 and will be test Kelisa back on RON95 and see what's the difference.

At least now going back outstation no longer that costly haha!

No such thing la, cuz of fuel price drop, COINCIDENTALLY Some petrol stations stop selling RON97.
Then cars that needed RON97 are gonna have problems la...like knocking and etcs.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Haha! Ya I know, that's why i call it testing and see on kancil since only 20 sens difference :rofl:
Now back to RON95 and will be test Kelisa back on RON95 and see what's the difference.

At least now going back outstation no longer that costly haha!

No such thing la, cuz of fuel price drop, COINCIDENTALLY Some petrol stations stop selling RON97.
Then cars that needed RON97 are gonna have problems la...like knocking and etcs.
Din't test on your Jetta? That one VVT-i. :biggrin:

Those station want to stop selling to everyone. Those people using high compression engines will be so furious at this. If at KL, it would be supercar owners, haha.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

New engine with knock sensor will self adjust. Old school like mine need to de-tune. But de-tune no power liao....:banghead:

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
yes... really... i also felt a difference in power or throttle response.. but didnt mention it coz dun wan ppl think its placebo :P...no dyno tests though...but fifth gear did a test on different fuels before.

actually yes... the same fuel station everytime... petronas near my in-law's house...at the time still dating n not married yet.. so i had to drive there alot...... for both RON95 and RON97.

i'd have to assume that the RON97 gives better combustion and abit more power that the engine requires less effort to move the car hence needing lesser fuel..
fifth gear test conclude that only high performance car (impreza) shows power difference when using different fuel....other car doesn't...

the way ECU works is by detecting knocking through knock sensor...if it detect any knocking, it will retard ignition timing...if the knocking disappear, it will be back to default setting..

if it doesn't detect any knocking, so it will do nothing....especially during open loop...
thus it can't detect higher RON than recommended...

unless current 'modern' close loop have wide adjustable parameters to advance timing a little bit at a time...but then its too dangerous for the engine...highly impossible...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Last time tried the RON97 but I whacked it hard going to Genting to test if feel any difference in power but honestly I cannot really feel it even in my 12:1 compression GDi. (or maybe I'm just getting too old to be sensitive enough now but I doubt it). Those who claim can feel the power difference must have ultra sensitive butt, even more sensitive than dyno machines. :biggrin: Btw I'm saying this in context that the engine does not knock even when using 95 like mine. If it knocks using 95 then of course even a grandma can feel the difference when the knocking is gone while using 97!

To those who also claim their engine runs smoother on 97, I also cannot imagine what you're all talking about unless when running 95 also got knocking hence the obvious difference again. Or again maybe you're all have sensitivity like Ayrton Senna who were able to sense when his F1 engine had a hairline crack in the camshaft undetected by the engine telemetry. :burnout:

Anyway since 97 price has drop down more, I'm retesting again now trying to get the best FC possible but I doubt it will give substantial enough of a difference but we'll see in the next few weeks.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
tested petronas ron97 on my kancil 660 carb wit same driving style got extra 30km difference, tested on my fish got 100km difference & easily to reach 155km/h on hiway than previously on ron95 that needs quite a distance to reach it. from this experince, ron97 could do better wit smaller cc cars to feel the difference. just IMHO:)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
To those who also claim their engine runs smoother on 97, I also cannot imagine what you're all talking about unless when running 95 also got knocking hence the obvious difference again. Or again maybe you're all have sensitivity like Ayrton Senna who were able to sense when his F1 engine had a hairline crack in the camshaft undetected by the engine telemetry.
Actually - there might be a logical explanation to this, most people I know don't know what mild knocking even is. The clakclakclak that they hear has always been there and they think it's normal. Once 97 comes in the knocking is gone and hence the thinking that it's smoother. Yes it's smoother, only because you've been living with knocking since day 1.

The other possibility is the additives in 97 is different from 95 for whatever reason. I don't know for sure but it's likely the additives are different. *shrugs*

tested petronas ron97 on my kancil 660 carb wit same driving style got extra 30km difference, tested on my fish got 100km difference & easily to reach 155km/h on hiway than previously on ron95 that needs quite a distance to reach it. from this experince, ron97 could do better wit smaller cc cars to feel the difference. just IMHO:)
Kancil carb - mechanical engine no knock sensor or anything. How you're able to get 30km more is beyond me. Consistently? Or one off? Or did you fiddle with the carb to utilize the fuel? Or was it originally tuned that way and you've been having pinging for a while but never noticed it since it and suddenly the introduction to 97 improved things overall?

As for the Kelisa experiencing something different - that's damn weird. 100km is a lot. There's too many factors that could attribute to your cars inability to reach 150km/h easily.

Last week, I pumped RON97 for the first time since I got my 4G15 Wira. So far, I din't see much difference in mileage yet. Power remains roughly the same. One thing that I felt is different is when I am driving at lower rpm in higher gear, let's say like maybe under 20kmh in 3rd gear after crossing a speed bump, the car's engine vibration seems to be lesser compared to the time when I am using RON95. Previously if I did the same thing, the car will vibrate and shake more violently as if the engine will stall.
There's a few reasons your car does that. A normal wira doesn't vibrate and shake violently after speed bumps. Mine didn't before and after modding it. So to say the fuel helped reduce the vibration means there's a potential problem with your engine - either at the ignition portion, or something. I'd consider having that looked at soon.

A lot is hearsay until proven properly otherwise. The logic and science behind the octane number is there but there's too many feedback from people saying different things. A few things need to be considered before anything conclusive can be said.

- Engine and car overall condition. Any failing component will definitely affect the performance the car which might get covered by the RON difference (early detonation, weak ignition, misfiring, etc). Dirty air filter at the point of time will affect performance and mileage too. The condition of your petrol tank too will dictate the quality of petrol. Sand, water, additives you bought from Tesco that never dissolved properly, old worn fuel lines, clogged injectors, etc.

- Environmental factors. On a cool humid but dry day, the cars will generally work better compared to a hot humid day. Dusty roads, lack of tyre grip due to road conditions, etc.

- Weight of the car during the tests. Highway running means you might have bags and passengers. Or not. FC will definitely be affected as well as acceleration.

- Quality of petrol pumped. Not all kiosks get a fresh supply of petrol everyday. Some refill weekly and a rare few bi-weekly. If it just so happens you get petrol from a kiosk that might have a contaminated storage tank, or perhaps an old tank that has sediments, rust, or whatever inside then the quality of the petrol will be tainted. Having said that Esso / Mobil in the past had a regulation that the storage tank had to be replaced every 10 years. I wonder how it works for other companies and whether kiosk operators actually adhered to these rules since it's not exactly cheap to replace underground storage tanks.

So many possibilities that could directly or indirectly affect your cars performance which would contribute to your RON95/97 tests.

Having said that I'm offering a challenge to anyone interested to try. Offer up your car for a complete service and inspection, run on RON95 for 2 weeks, go dyno, run RON97 for 2 weeks then dyno again.

Conditions that must be met :

1. Inspection must be done by a independent party. Eg - me or anyone who might be interested. Service must be complete - GB, EO, brakes, etc
2. The car must be driven exactly the same way at the same route everyday (almost is fine, doesn't have to be precise)
3. The exact same petrol pump and kiosk and petrol brand must be used
4. The same dyno machine must be used.

Anyone interested? I'll document the whole process and post it up as a ZTH article. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Last time tried the RON97 but I whacked it hard going to Genting to test if feel any difference in power but honestly I cannot really feel it even in my 12:1 compression GDi. (or maybe I'm just getting too old to be sensitive enough now but I doubt it). Those who claim can feel the power difference must have ultra sensitive butt, even more sensitive than dyno machines. :biggrin: Btw I'm saying this in context that the engine does not knock even when using 95 like mine. If it knocks using 95 then of course even a grandma can feel the difference when the knocking is gone while using 97!

To those who also claim their engine runs smoother on 97, I also cannot imagine what you're all talking about unless when running 95 also got knocking hence the obvious difference again. Or again maybe you're all have sensitivity like Ayrton Senna who were able to sense when his F1 engine had a hairline crack in the camshaft undetected by the engine telemetry. :burnout:

Anyway since 97 price has drop down more, I'm retesting again now trying to get the best FC possible but I doubt it will give substantial enough of a difference but we'll see in the next few weeks.
As far as I know, GDi engine are ok, since fuel is injected directly in combustion chamber so they can still run on Ron95.
For my old school VR very obvious that on Ron95 the engine will resist going pass 4.5k rpm...:bawling:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ok who wants to help me dyno my car running different fuel... :biggrin:

the boosted car and the n/a car... :driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
New engine with knock sensor will self adjust. Old school like mine need to de-tune. But de-tune no power liao....:banghead:
So you are using RON97 all the way or de-tune already?

There's a few reasons your car does that. A normal wira doesn't vibrate and shake violently after speed bumps. Mine didn't before and after modding it. So to say the fuel helped reduce the vibration means there's a potential problem with your engine - either at the ignition portion, or something. I'd consider having that looked at soon.
Actually what I meant when the car is shaking is during very low rpm. I cross over speed bumps like maybe under 20kmh which is around 1500-1000rpm if I am in 3rd gear. But I do know from my mechanic that a few of my engine mounting needs replacement (already replaced one near the gearbox). Nonetheless, thanks for the highlight. :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For me, there isnt any diff. using ron97 or ron95 for my daily ride. Maybe I didn't rev or push the engine. Average speed is about 80km/hour.
So, I would just pump ron95. Save a few bucks and buy karipap at Petronas Kedai Mesra...hahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

see that white cover. That is what I want to spray ( now so ugly because it start to crack) . The problem is that I always wax that area and the paint will sure peal off. What spray can i use to spray it? Need any undercoating? or must cure the plastic first.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience