Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Bros (and gals) of ZTH.

I'm currently waiting for university to start. Since the universities that I choose will be far away from home, I was allowed to choose a car below RM46k by parents. However, my dad in particular is stubborn (he will blame me if the used cars have issues coz "i didn't take care of it properly" :banghead: ), thus I rather take my chances to check these cars before I show him the choices.

His criteria is:

-The car must be small. He didn't say how small, but he did say that Proton Suprima is too big, so probably less than 4300mm. (for me, smaller and lighter is better :biggrin:)
-The car must be 7 years old or less. According to him, "if 10 years plus, sure need send to workshop everyday for maintenance)
-The car must be auto.

My criteria are:

Very important.
-Build quality. I don't want him blaming me and leaving me with an unusable car just coz there were existing issues which were prevalent in most cars of the same model. I don't care about how the interior looks like: as long as it don't give me driving difficulties.
-Stock handling. Terrible understeer, weak brakes and body roll: 100% no.

Important.
-Aftermarket support. I'm looking forward to improve handling including braking parts as well as weight after I earn from direct sales. A direct bolt-on turbo/super may be possible in future, if travelling far is needed due to direct sales. (considering the fact that i maybe attending amateur competitions)

Medium.
-Comfort. As a university student who will definitely stay in a hostel, I will be only using this car sometimes. But I may be fetching friends from time to time.
-Features. University student only, I don't need so much features to survive. But parking sensors are a MUST, as well as good anti-theft features.
-Safety. The car will only be used for driving to nearby places around campus, so will be driving slow for the first (and second) year. But ABS and SRS airbags is a MUST.
-Spare parts pricing. I have been advised to do frequent checkups instead of only fixing when problems show up, but it will still a burden if the parts are expensive.

After checking through a lot of stock used cars, I found these, all auto with advertised mileage below 100k (i know usually they can't be trusted, but this is all i have for now):-

-'07 Toyota Yaris 1.5 S
2007 Toyota Yaris 1.5 S TRD Kuala Lumpur, RM 41,800 - oto.my
-'07 Nissan Latio Sport Hatchback 1.6 CVTC
2007 Nissan Latio Sport 1.6 CVTC Kuala Lumpur, RM 44,888 - oto.my
-'05 Citroen C2 1.6 L TU5 SensoDrive VTR
Citroen C2 VTR sensodrive 1.6 ,MIL 62K KM ORIGINAL - Cars for sale in Petaling Jaya, Selangor
-'05 Honda Jazz 1.5 VTEC
Honda Jazz 1.5 VTEC (A) 05 - Cars for sale in Seri Kembangan, Selangor
-'10 Proton Satria Neo CPS
2010 PROTON SATRIA NEO CPS SPORT 125HP | RM39,800 | Used Car for Sale | Motor Trader
-'04 Nissan March 1.4
Nissan March 1.4L (A) 2004 W.P. Kuala Lumpur
-'09 Suzuki Swift 1.5
Used SUZUKI SWIFT 1.5 (A) FULL BODYKIT,KEYLESS ENTRY 09 Car For Sale Malaysia - Autoworld.com.my
-'04 Honda Civic 1.7 VTEC
Honda Civic 1.7 VTI VTEC(A)PEARL WHITE BUCKET SEAT - Cars for sale in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur

Which one should I go with? May be involved in direct sales in future, and occasionally goes out.
And if possible, can give me hint on important things to check on in 30 mins around a car? thank you.
:pepsi:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
If I have to pick,
1st: Satria Neo,
Booming aftermarket support in Malaysia. You are still young so comfort, meh. :biggrin:

Yaris and C2 probably not so good although Yaris shared some things with Vios. And Yaris AT got problems.

How to check a used car:

Try starting the car cold. Usually can hear dome funny noise if no good.

Give it a drive, feel the car. Feel the bumps, steering feel, power delivery.

Check under carriage for rusts and dirt. Also check wirings because car accessories shops doesn't give good workmanship.

Check service records as usual.

If can, bring a sifu of that particular car model.

Others have to wait sifus to come in.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Forget about the Citroen if you're wanting reliability.
Forget about the Latio if you're wanting to do business.

My vote goes for the Toyotas and the Swift. Reasonable maintenance costs, plentiful parts and pretty decent looking.

But if you're ok with Protons, why not consider a brand new Persona SV? Least amount of headaches with warranty.

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
If I have to pick,
1st: Satria Neo,
Booming aftermarket support in Malaysia. You are still young so comfort, meh. :biggrin:

Yaris and C2 probably not so good although Yaris shared some things with Vios. And Yaris AT got problems.

How to check a used car:

Try starting the car cold. Usually can hear dome funny noise if no good.

Give it a drive, feel the car. Feel the bumps, steering feel, power delivery.

Check under carriage for rusts and dirt. Also check wirings because car accessories shops doesn't give good workmanship.

Check service records as usual.

If can, bring a sifu of that particular car model.

Others have to wait sifus to come in.
I will chose the CPS anytime tho. extra 25hp. but there is oso aftermarket support for Yaris, so maybe wan check that. and since under my name, i'm using my own money to put aftermarket parts anyways :driver:
and thanks :D but my friend is only general part-time mechanic, so i dun hav sifu of particular model, especially since i'm only 19. :frown:

My vote goes for the Toyotas and the Swift. Reasonable maintenance costs, plentiful parts and pretty decent looking.

But if you're ok with Protons, why not consider a brand new Persona SV? Least amount of headaches with warranty.
I'm very afraid of build quality...and my dad still thinks it's too big for me. old pipu mindset la: inexperienced people must have small car first :trytofly:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Father got issues with used car then I agree with bro. Izso and suggest you buy new too.....:driver:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I will chose the CPS anytime tho. extra 25hp. but there is oso aftermarket support for Yaris, so maybe wan check that. and since under my name, i'm using my own money to put aftermarket parts anyways :driver:

and thanks :D but my friend is only general part-time mechanic, so i dun hav sifu of particular model, especially since i'm only 19. :frown:

I'm very afraid of build quality...and my dad still thinks it's too big for me. old pipu mindset la: inexperienced people must have small car first :trytofly:

Bro. Good thing u joined here early, Im 21 now, joined in mid 20. Bought my AT Persona full of regrets because of MT.

Still, easy maintenance. Learnt from Izso, vr2, titanrev, punk etcs here.

Other than that fantastic car, say Lotus handling but it does handle very well.

There are many Neo owners out there that will be able to assist u. Find out their threads and posts to know the common problems. Each model has their problems.

What Izso said is right, the Persona SV is great but it isnt any sporty like Neo.

Personally, neo ftw here lah. Do yourself a favour, get MT. It is really not that hard to drive it in traffic. Ask Unker Izso, his hand itches....

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Don't wanna get blamed by yr old man for not using or maintaining the car properly, get a local car coz you can always blame the manufacturers and old people usually buys it.

Want no headache, get a new car. Kia Picanto packs a wallop for its price. That's just slightly more than yr dad's budget but hey it's a new car! 3 years warranty at least.

Forget about March, Citroen, Yaris. You might increase yr dad and yr high blood pressure looking for parts one day.

If I were to choose from the above, here it goes: Jazz, civic, swift, Latio. If I were to choose myself I would probably go for first gen toyota vios. Hardy, abundant parts, good FC, medium size, good looking, and Britney Spears was the ambassador before she shaved bald.

Or get the persona vs like Izso recommended. Alternatively you can wait for the new Proton Golden Screen Cinemas. But be prepared for not able to bring chicks up to tian hou gong on chap got Mei lah...

Or get the car that everybody seems to hate but top the sales. Free 3 years parts and labour maintenance, got good offer for students like you and has tropical frog green colour.

Last edited:

TheDuckster

Known Member
Jun 18, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
forum.lowyat.net
Father got issues with used car then I agree with bro. Izso and suggest you buy new too.....:driver:
i wanted a new car, but using a used car allows me to have cars with higher hp plus extra free learning from my part-time mechanic buddy in case parts fail. I'm here to learn as well :rolleyes:

Bro. Good thing u joined here early, Im 21 now, joined in mid 20. Bought my AT Persona full of regrets because of MT.

There are many Neo owners out there that will be able to assist u. Find out their threads and posts to know the common problems. Each model has their problems.

What Izso said is right, the Persona SV is great but it isnt any sporty like Neo.

Personally, neo ftw here lah. Do yourself a favour, get MT. It is really not that hard to drive it in traffic. Ask Unker Izso, his hand itches....
haha, i oso wan MT, i love the thrill of shifting gears with one hand and holding steering in another :driver: but as said, stubborn father, cant do much :hmpf:

1st : Honda jazz
2nd: Suzuki swift
3rd: civic 1.7 ES
just for extra info, what u base the choice upon? :beer:

Don't wanna get blamed by yr old man for not using or maintaining the car properly, get a local car coz you can always blame the manufacturers and old people usually buys it.

Want no headache, get a new car. Kia Picanto packs a wallop for its price. That's just slightly more than yr dad's budget but hey it's a new car! 3 years warranty at least.

Forget about March, Citroen, Yaris. You might increase yr dad and yr high blood pressure looking for parts one day.

If I were to choose from the above, here it goes: Jazz, civic, swift, Latio. If I were to choose myself I would probably go for first gen toyota vios. Hardy, abundant parts, good FC, medium size, good looking, and Britney Spears was the ambassador before she shaved bald.

Or get the persona vs like Izso recommended. Alternatively you can wait for the new Proton Golden Screen Cinemas. But be prepared for not able to bring chicks up to tian hou gong on chap got Mei lah...

Or get the car that everybody seems to hate but top the sales. Free 3 years parts and labour maintenance, got good offer for students like you and has tropical frog green colour.
hahaha, i remember talking with him that day about his old car that is used by another relative, he said "even proton if 20 years old sure can maintain, i give him only, then only the car break here and there".
so, no, he will still kena me :rolleyes:
but why Jazz? when i asked on lowyat, a lot recommend saga/persona (which i will NEVER drive) or Swift as first choice, just after Satria. i wonder :confused:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i wanted a new car, but using a used car allows me to have cars with higher hp plus extra free learning from my part-time mechanic buddy in case parts fail. I'm here to learn as well :rolleyes:

haha, i oso wan MT, i love the thrill of shifting gears with one hand and holding steering in another :driver: but as said, stubborn father, cant do much :hmpf:
Oh your dad allow small in size but don't care whatever the capacity....hahahha:biggrin:

I allow my kids to drive MT only....direct opposite.....:driver::biggrin:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

just for extra info, what u base the choice upon? :beer:

hahaha, i remember talking with him that day about his old car that is used by another relative, he said "even proton if 20 years old sure can maintain, i give him only, then only the car break here and there".
so, no, he will still kena me :rolleyes:
but why Jazz? when i asked on lowyat, a lot recommend saga/persona (which i will NEVER drive) or Swift as first choice, just after Satria. i wonder :confused:
for me the 1st choice as its a Honda, the jazz used to be a very popular car a decade ago, OEM parts, aftermarket parts were available almost everywhere. the jazz is my favorite car but unfortunately the resale value is still quite high for its age but still as reliable.

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
here what i personally can tell about neo..other car listed dont have onhand experience..neo is ok la..part ok..many workshop also can do..aftermarket support also good here..chasis is great..engine abit underpower for me & need more checking frequency..headroom a bit problem for me..rear seat abit problem for me also..but AT like my wifey neo big no no if u travel a lot fc abit on the high side..if want neo go for the MT one..

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

You're not planning to change car soon?

I allow my kids to drive MT only....direct opposite.....:driver::biggrin:
Best dad. :biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
If you intend to ferry people around, I would say forget about Satria Neo even though is potential with lots of parts to mod in future.
Then If you really looking for a small car and within that budget, you can get the new Myvi which would be around that price. Not the 1.5L ones but the 1.3L ones and is just slightly higher than your budget for used cars.

At least is new, you wont get blame or anything even if it breaks down like some said u can blame the manufacturer but dad will not blame u for picking that car like what u r gonna do on used cars. Myvi got lots of aftermarket parts even though lots of them hate it.
Even can consider K3VET in future as is gonna be fast enough for a Myvi or too fast. :biggrin:

If it really has to be used car, the only reliable one I see with good FC is the 1st Gen Toyota Vios. Friend have one and it is 10 years old but no headache at all within these 10 years. Serve him well and even make him think twice whether to sell off for and change a new car just for a change not because got problems. Aftermarket parts available as well.

Is either a used Toyota Vios 1.5L (1st Gen) or the New 1.3L Myvi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey all,

Practically been to almost all the major hardware shops to look for the DPI Autocolour code AP16602. I need a can urgently. If anyone spot it, do let me know, pls pls pls .. thanks alot ! can contact me at 016-2080519, thanks !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience