Satria evo or vtec???

KeeSeong

Known Member
Jun 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all sifus,

I’m in a dilemma in btw wad car to buy hehe given my budget is tight.. ard 20k..
All the while i have been eyeing on satria gti convert to evo since I’m turbo fans hehe

My questions are, satria gti converted to Evo is it reliable? I mean is it fun to drive in terms of performance n handling? Is it problematic? Bcoz some of my friends advise to go for vtec.

The reason I seek for sifus advice is bcoz I’m afraid I will regret :( if things turn out is not wad I expected...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Buy it if you're ready to spend time in workshop. Day in day out.

Easiest modified car to maintain is a Kelisa/Kenari with a K3VET YRV inside. Since its "plug and play", with the whole subframe swapped in.

KeeSeong

Known Member
Jun 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Wah... scary man!!!
Given my tight budget, reli can’t afford for the scary maintenance...
Is it the engine tat cause problem or the conversion?? Will it cause problem if I Maintain low boost.. enjoying the touge haha

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Wah... scary man!!!
Given my tight budget, reli can’t afford for the scary maintenance...
Is it the engine tat cause problem or the conversion?? Will it cause problem if I Maintain low boost.. enjoying the touge haha
Wiring and the mechanical problems due to the transplant.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well... if u plan to have it as weekend car... then evo3 gti is better fun...

if u rely only that car for daily, then vtec...

mind u vtec part price (rarenesss) is so damm high and fast moving item....

atleast for evo3 is slightly lower in the market price...

both evo and vtec no problem to find workshop later on...

KeeSeong

Known Member
Jun 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
well... if u plan to have it as weekend car... then evo3 gti is better fun...

if u rely only that car for daily, then vtec...

mind u vtec part price (rarenesss) is so damm high and fast moving item....

atleast for evo3 is slightly lower in the market price...

both evo and vtec no problem to find workshop later on...
thanks for the comments.. tat would definitely be my weekend car as I already have a daily car.

Basically jus for fun drive.. my concern is the availability of parts as Evo 3 (normally transplant in gti) is quite old.

And the engine transplant issue /wiring as wad ixeo mentioned. Tats y I hope any owner of Satria evo can giv their 2cents.. hehe

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
thanks for the comments.. tat would definitely be my weekend car as I already have a daily car.

Basically jus for fun drive.. my concern is the availability of parts as Evo 3 (normally transplant in gti) is quite old.

And the engine transplant issue /wiring as wad ixeo mentioned. Tats y I hope any owner of Satria evo can giv their 2cents.. hehe

if you worry about wiring issue.. then just do full check on the car conversion history especially on wiring side... (usually they just joint wiring starting from driver seat area joint to rear of satria wiring.. (front wiring using full set from evo3 halfcut) <--- this method usually pretty reliable....

if transplant was done with merged wiring in driver footwell/dahsboard area... need to open up the loom at ecu and at driver footwell see the wiring job quality...if done properly...no worries...

because on engine, the mounting and everything is plug n play to wira/satria chassis...

only another key area to check is if there any chassis crack near the front suspension tower and around them especially near the firewall/windscreen wiper there...if got stress crack mark...then u were looking for proper chassis repair/strengthening job later on..

i think thats it... as evo3 parts can kacuk between vr4,gsr1.8t,evo1,evo2,proton,perdana 4g63sohc to name a few..

KeeSeong

Known Member
Jun 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if you worry about wiring issue.. then just do full check on the car conversion history especially on wiring side... (usually they just joint wiring starting from driver seat area joint to rear of satria wiring.. (front wiring using full set from evo3 halfcut) <--- this method usually pretty reliable....

if transplant was done with merged wiring in driver footwell/dahsboard area... need to open up the loom at ecu and at driver footwell see the wiring job quality...if done properly...no worries...

because on engine, the mounting and everything is plug n play to wira/satria chassis...

only another key area to check is if there any chassis crack near the front suspension tower and around them especially near the firewall/windscreen wiper there...if got stress crack mark...then u were looking for proper chassis repair/strengthening job later on..

i think thats it... as evo3 parts can kacuk between vr4,gsr1.8t,evo1,evo2,proton,perdana 4g63sohc to name a few..
Thanks for the advise ☺, will look into the areas u mentioned above.

Hopefully after the above issue been tackled, I will have a fun ride haha

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe just get Satria GTI then swap in low compression pistons and turbo from the Lancer GSR, so it's much easier, 100% still legal coz still using the same 4G93 engine, no electrical issues coz no swapping, and stock power already 200HP which is enough to beat VTEC Civics plus much easier to extract even more power since it's turbo.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
from my profile picture.....u can tell that im a honda guy.....love them to bits and have had my fun with EF and EG hatches.

so my answer to the question is.... satria EVO or GSR.

u think VTECs no do cut n splice wiring for transplants? same thing ler... oso got cut n paste issues. only if u get the original chassis like EF9, DA6, EG6, EG9, DC2, DB8, EK4, EK9 (which are still using B series engines) may not have the issue. and these chassis tends to be above TS's RM20k budget.....bcoz original mah.

so considering TS's budget, no real choice but to go for satria. and a well maintained satria turbo will have maintenance roughly the same as a standard NA car. whatever car it is... the harder u drive it.. the harder u maintain it. simple as that.

satrias are also very good platforms and the handling is pretty damn good. plus being a local car, and having such a HUGE market in malaysia, parts are in abundance, and cheap...aftermarket and original....plus u can also use mitsubishi alternatives for certain parts. also almost any mechanic under any tree will know how to maintain the car (maybe not the evo engine, but the rest of the car). while hondas on the other hand...will have expensive parts which can be hard to find...even brand new.

u think hondas reliable? the engine's VTEC system itself generally is... but the parts surrounding the engine and its implementation deserves a huge facepalm. distributor issues, TPS issues, IACV issues...syncro issues.. bla bla bla.... and like all things honda.... everything is expensive. if u blow a b series engine, expect to pay a hefty bill cosidering they are getting lesser and lesser which are causing prices to sky rocket.

dont get me wrong...i still love hondas...but i just dont think they are worth it anymore...especially the risk of theft. this got so bad that i rarely ever took my car out of my house for fear of being stolen....to a point i only drive it to the car wash to wash it after it got soooo dusty after sitting still for a long time.

another thing with hondas... ull have to deal with the hate. this brand community is the most hated brand in the world....not just malaysia ya.. the WORLD. and the thing i hate most with hondas, are the people that drive them.... they think coz they drive hondas they are so high n mighty... they are a real man's man... handsome, macho etc... but when someone post "fuck vtec/honda" on FB.... they start whining like a bunch of pussies. for years i was embarassed to admit i am a "honda guy" even though i loved driving my honda.

seriously... go with what u like... since u like the turbo... go with it...

turbos are a different beast altogether. more power to begin with... and much easier to gain more power than VTECs.

EDIT: holy crap... thats a long post! hahahahahha

Reactions: alcyon

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
VTEC vs Evo Satria... I'd say neither since you want turbo. BMW E36 1jz for the turbo!

But all options if incorrectly modded or swapped, it'll be a workshop queen. I bloody hate that

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello guys. Have question on evo I.

It was OK after the convertion. But only got this problem lately.

The boost doesnt come on time. Sometimes 3.5K rpm full boost sometimes may be 4K-5K.
The car feels laggish compare to last time.

Sometimes after boosting, the check engine light will be on.
Then when idle, RPM will be less than 1K. The car will be shaking.
Throttle becomes heavier. Can acccelerate but rpm takes very long to build up.

After body has any idea whats happening?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience