Myvi IKON 1.5 and StiffRing

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
Hello Car sifu's,
I would like to know what is the benefits and cons of installing rigid collars aka stiffring on my 2 yrs old myvi IKON.

Why am i asking:
want to improve handling, nvh as per mentioned in their webpage.
does it really helps

Struts Bar/ARB.
I am no fan of installing Struts or ARB. they do improve alot on handling (experience from installing a 3 point UR on my old Saga Iswara)

but on a myvi, it will give a headache as the engine compartment space is limited. eventually i am thinking of rigid collars. does it really helps?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Hello Car sifu's,
I would like to know what is the benefits and cons of installing rigid collars aka stiffring on my 2 yrs old myvi IKON.

Why am i asking:
want to improve handling, nvh as per mentioned in their webpage.
does it really helps

Struts Bar/ARB.
I am no fan of installing Struts or ARB. they do improve alot on handling (experience from installing a 3 point UR on my old Saga Iswara)

but on a myvi, it will give a headache as the engine compartment space is limited. eventually i am thinking of rigid collars. does it really helps?
my opinion, stiff rings, not really something you need.... idea is it straightens out the subframe and holds everything tight but... its a newish car, why is there a need to straighten anything.... and i would rather have alittle play than none at all, no play means all that stress is gona be transferred throughout the chassis

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
i really did not think of it. thanks. BTw it will be my normal daily driving car.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i really did not think of it. thanks. BTw it will be my normal daily driving car.
Need sifu Izso to comment on this.
For some cars it helps a lot, but if not mistaken for Myvi it needs the free play or something like that, so the stiff rings don't really work.
Hope sifu Izso comes in.....:driver:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Go for the bars first. I have stiff rings installed at the front side. It only improves my steering response by just a little bit. NVH wise it is still the same. Like lsm said, NVH would probably lesser if yours an old car.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Go for the bars first. I have stiff rings installed at the front side. It only improves my steering response by just a little bit. NVH wise it is still the same. Like lsm said, NVH would probably lesser if yours an old car.
So for handling, struts and ARB are better but that is the things he don't want to install.....lol

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So for handling, struts and ARB are better but that is the things he don't want to install.....lol
Yes get the rear ARB and front strut at least. It helps quite significantly especially the ARB. Stiff rings are secondary i would say.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes get the rear ARB and front strut at least. It helps quite significantly especially the ARB. Stiff rings are secondary i would say.
True also, at least ARB improvement for handling. Shocks probably will make the ride bumpier.....:smokin:

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
ARB i am not sure to install. but front struts will give a headache t work with in the engine compartment

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ARB i am not sure to install. but front struts will give a headache t work with in the engine compartment
To me fitting ARB is good if rears do not have and if have probably can increase the thickness. Front strut good if you do a lot of cornering....

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
do not install the stiff ring on your ayam jantan... although it is very stiff...don't do it ok.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
nahhh...its NOT REALLY in the way...The bar is behind the air filter box so it is actually not blocking anything major

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
nahhh...its NOT REALLY in the way...The bar is behind the air filter box so it is actually not blocking anything major
i will survey again about Strut bar. Thanks for recommendation

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't want to diss any brand but here's my thoughts :

I've done these "chassis alignment kits" on my Myvi and they didn't quite fit properly. They had to be crushed in place to fit properly. This tells me these chassis bolts aren't supposed to fit "straight" in the first place and by forcing the bolt to go in straight will do a few things :

1. Either crush the ring thing
2. Or ruin the bolt
3. Or worse ruin the thread

#2 and #3 are very bad. Anyway, when I finally did manage to fit it in, it made the car seemingly quiet a bit and the steering was sharper... a bit. But I took it out anyway later cuz the way the bolt was smashed against the ring worried me a lot. After taking it out I noticed the steering was still sharp and the noise was a little bit noisier from the road but it's a Myvi. I'm not expecting Bentley performance.

Spoon originally made their rigid collars for their Hondas and whatever cars - but if you look closely at the make and model of cars - they are all for older model cars. I'm just guessing the manufacturing tolerance for those old cars was bigger so these collars helped performance a lot. Newer cars have tighter tolerances (again I'm guessing) so perhaps they don't need these collars.

My Nissan Sylphy apparently requires 2 sets of these collars and judging from the feedback from a user it made no difference for him. Considering the Sylphy is already a pretty quiet car and is relatively new - this isn't really a good investment.

So in conclusion I'd just go with what CVKit said. Go buy UR braces and bars and get good suspension and tyres. Nothing will beat that.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just want to share some pictures of some Extreme Engine Mods....
All from Tom Yam Land....

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience