Datsun 510 Talk.

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Blitz3rs,
Using 3" straight piping is best for a turbo charged engine but the noise created will attract too much attention, you don't want to wake up your entire neighbourhood when returning late at night after TT, do you?.

The 510 do not have a recess in it's floor pan for a bullet hence if you put one in there then the chances for it to hit a speed bump will always be there. Use a muffler as big as it will fit, big mufflers usually means it has more fiber material for sound dampening. On my 510 I do not have a bullet but I do have a an adjustable valve installed just after the downpipe. This valve is a self-made thingy and it's made from parts taken from a manifold throttle body valve that can be regulated from inside the cabin with a cable attached to it to dampen the volume of noise. I have the valve installed but do not have the cable link attached to it yet but plan to do so at a later stage. I do not plan to have the valve closed at all except when the authoritise are around or when I drive pass my neighbourhood. The muffler I have is not big compared to what's available in the market but it is as big as it can fit under the car, I also have a silencer inserted into the muffler and yet I think it's loud. So if anyone wants to hear who has a louder exhaust, tell me about it and let's compete and mine would come up to be in the top-5.

blitz3rs said:
Hmmm~ OK then . Will consider both of ur suggestions.

Yeala~ Uncle , also wanna ask u bout da exhaust...

Can i juz use 3 " straight piping till d end?? O install a mid bullet will be an advantage???

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Blitz3rs,
Your SR20 install looks clean. To have a FMIC you will have to go with an electric fan, I will try to take a picture of my install and show it to you.

The exhaust you have is going to be loud, can you find an exhaust muffler that comes with a detachable silencer?.

Raja_Mongkut

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
the previous exhaust should be a straight flow.. the 5 zigen looks like an S... but the piping diameter looks kinda smallish though... 2.25" - 2.5"...

typically S flow much quieter than straight.. so if the 5 zigen is S... go for it..

i stuck with a Trust straight flow for 2 months... then cant tahan the sound.. put back my good ol Super Drager S flow

blitz3rs

Jan 22, 2006
Raja_Mongkut said:
the previous exhaust should be a straight flow.. the 5 zigen looks like an S... but the piping diameter looks kinda smallish though... 2.25" - 2.5"...

typically S flow much quieter than straight.. so if the 5 zigen is S... go for it..

i stuck with a Trust straight flow for 2 months... then cant tahan the sound.. put back my good ol Super Drager S flow
Thks 4 ur suggestion , Raja Mongkut. Very appreciate it!!

I think i'll go 4 da 5 zigen 1st using straight piping 2.5" ....
So hopefully it will not wake up my neightbours when i'm back from tt at nite~

Cheers

Raja_Mongkut

500 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
mm ur welcome.. was just a suggestion lolz..

anyway, make sure its an S flow 1st...

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Blitz3rs,
Here's how the 1JZ intercooler is mounted and hidden, you need an electric radiator
fan to do this.

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Blitz3rs,
are you back on the platform again?

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
Coldair, do you happen to know how to dismantle the coupling fan on the L18 from the water pump pulley? It looks like they are pressed together. I am trying to replace the coupling fan with an electronic unit.

Any idea?

Last edited:

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Devious,
I suggest you just trash the entire coupling fan with the water pump pulley attached and go to the chop shop and find a replacement pulley, they have
mountain loads of pulleys of various sizes and diameters and they are inexpensive.

datsr510det

Known Member
Jul 9, 2005
kota bharu
your coupling fan can be dismantled by using a special tool, we called it 'impact spanner' (not an electric ones) or 'knock screwdriver' down here. it's a must for motorcycle mechanics to loosen and tighten bolts on engine cover (early models of yamaha rxz, honda c70 etc).

i use it on everything especially when spring washers are involve. you need a hammer to knock on the back of the spanner and it will do the job for you. it has an interchangeable socket so all you have to do is to find a right one for the job.

throwing away a good working unit of your coupling fan is not a wise idea i would say.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There’s always a flurry of excitement the moment a new car enters the local market but the hype surrounding the arrival of the B-segment Fiesta has been exceptional and with good reason too. The Fiesta is a breath of fresh air, a shot in the arm, of a segment that has been getting pretty staid lately.

The three...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience