what is the BEST BOOST CONTROLLER ?

kaido

Aug 10, 2009
Perth
kaidojp.blogspot.com
depends what you want?

All Japanese Brand EBC (electric boost controllers) are very good, and have lots of features but do cost more.

i personally use Blitz EBC ID-3 its perfect, works well semi easy to setup (can use dyno or road tune) comparing my Blitz to my old Greddy Profec-A the blitz brought boost on alot more earlier.

That is one of the advantages of an ebc you can tune the gain which allows you to bring on boost earlier in the rpm however the higher your gain value the more chance you will get boost spike so you need to find the right combination.

Most have warning features so if the boost goes over a set PSI/BAR the controller will drop the boost down to a lower level to safe your engine/turbo

toyota03

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
Hi Guys,

I am planning to increase bout 0.3-0.5 bar of boost. Would there be any major boost spike if I were to use Turbosmart Boost Tee? Besides that, how is Hallman or some Turbosmart STYLE perform? Would those cheap manual controller do the job well??

By the way, where to get best price Turbosmart boost controller???..

Thanks in advance...

:wavey:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Hi Guys,

I am planning to increase bout 0.3-0.5 bar of boost. Would there be any major boost spike if I were to use Turbosmart Boost Tee? Besides that, how is Hallman or some Turbosmart STYLE perform? Would those cheap manual controller do the job well??

By the way, where to get best price Turbosmart boost controller???..

Thanks in advance...

:wavey:
in order to achieve 0.3-0.5bar increment, the cheap immitation boost controller will do the job. But in order to achieve 0.3 or 0.4 or 0.5 bar, u have to get something better. So, u get what I meant??? It's the accuracy and consistancy. Hehe...

U won't pay for nothing.

toyota03

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks pal for the reply..I do get what u mean...:)

What about Turbosmart Boost Tee?? Any good place can get it ??

Anyone care to throw in some opinions or comments??

Thanks again

:beerglass::tee:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks pal for the reply..I do get what u mean...:)

What about Turbosmart Boost Tee?? Any good place can get it ??

Anyone care to throw in some opinions or comments??

Thanks again

:beerglass::tee:
There are lot of place selling it. KAKIMOTOR, REV Motorsport, Tong Turbo, N1, Etc.... How good the price is depending on how good u bargain.

Boost Tee, suprisingly improves turbo response even compare to the Greddy Profec B TYPE 2.

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Just DIY installed & tune my profec-b spec 2 recently. B4 diz i used a MBC from Wors Eng. bleed type. I don't know how the works compared to boost-tee.. BUT
Using EBC namely profec-b, i wouldn't even think bout using a bleed type/mbc anymo

The boost characteristics of my setup is transformed obviously, for the better. My tial open up sooner @ low boost and holds the boost constantl n consistently till redline. And it wouldn't spike climbing to the set boost compared to my previous Works MBC.

2 channels/boost setting for me is more than enuf for both the average street user & the drag/strip racers. But if u still prefer gear based boost setup.. the fancy MAP sensor dat the avcr/evc uses.. and dont mind paying someone to tune on top of installation. So go ahead wit other than profec-b.

Just my Honest opinion.. :hmmmm:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
An otai here in Zth previously uses profec B, now only uses it to read boost. Cause most of the gauge can't read more than 2bar. Hehe... Running on MBC now... Boost T is restrictive type..

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Just DIY installed & tune my profec-b spec 2 recently. B4 diz i used a MBC from Wors Eng. bleed type. I don't know how the works compared to boost-tee.. BUT
Using EBC namely profec-b, i wouldn't even think bout using a bleed type/mbc anymo

The boost characteristics of my setup is transformed obviously, for the better. My tial open up sooner @ low boost and holds the boost constantl n consistently till redline. And it wouldn't spike climbing to the set boost compared to my previous Works MBC.

2 channels/boost setting for me is more than enuf for both the average street user & the drag/strip racers. But if u still prefer gear based boost setup.. the fancy MAP sensor dat the avcr/evc uses.. and dont mind paying someone to tune on top of installation. So go ahead wit other than profec-b.

of coz mechanical cannot compare to electronic type......electronic is owes better..tats y u pay more

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
the only thing about electronics type is the solenoid durabillity

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Anyone can advise me on a boost controller that release boost during cruising? I would like to tune for fuel economy and I understand that when we drive in the city, we should have boost early but once we reached the desired cruise speed, the boost should be released and we should drive at maximum vacuum. I know of several engine management system that can set boost levels at different rpms. But is there any that can release boost when cruising?

And, can somebody tell me how does a boost controller work? I though boost i controlled by the wastegate. So is the boost controller a wastegate controller?

Thank you...

foofis

Known Member
May 23, 2010
Johor
i use tulang ikan oni :D

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Anyone can advise me on a boost controller that release boost during cruising? I would like to tune for fuel economy and I understand that when we drive in the city, we should have boost early but once we reached the desired cruise speed, the boost should be released and we should drive at maximum vacuum. I know of several engine management system that can set boost levels at different rpms. But is there any that can release boost when cruising?

And, can somebody tell me how does a boost controller work? I though boost i controlled by the wastegate. So is the boost controller a wastegate controller?

Thank you...
it controls the amount of boost you want for your turbo. and it is more accurate than stock actuator / mechanical boost controller. advance boost controller let you map a few boost point to compensate turbo lag/launching the car:
eg:
3000rpm - 0.6bar
4000rpm - 0.8bar
5000rpm - 1bar
6000rpm - 1.2bar
etc.......

thats about it :)

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
the only thing about electronics type is the solenoid durabillity

Thank you...
HOW U BOOST:

The pressure from the intercooler piping is directed into the external wastegate/actuator. When it reaches the pressure sufficient to counter the spring rate within the external wastegate/actuator, it'll push the gate to open and release the access exhaust gasses through an opening directly into the the atmophere/exhaust pipe after the turbine.

MBC:

Type one(bleed):-
Within the boost/vacumn hose to the wastegate/actuator, an ammount(set by owner) of intake air is bleed out to the environment to reduce the pressure going to the wastegate. So, when ur intercooler piping is having A psi, the pressure that actually reaches the wastegate/actuator is lower than the actual boost pressure. So, less exhast will be channel out and more exhaust is channeled to the turbine. So, it'll spin the turbine more and more air will be induced until the after MBC hose is having pressure equivalent to A. I think it's the same shit as tulang ikan.

Type two(restriction):-
Work same as the blled type except it doesn't bleed out the pressurizedair into the environment. Instead, it uses a valve to control the pressure to the actuator/wastegate.

EBC:
Basically worked almost the same as MBC, but insted of controlling the pressure with a manual valve, it's controlled by a solenoid valve that' electronic actuated. Some EBC open and close quickly to control the boost, some uses a magnetic valve to control the boost by controlling the opening of the valve like an ISC.

Some more advance boost controllers have the gain features like gaining and scrambling. They are the same thing. But all being programmed to react in a way to increase the boost when feel sudden vacumn.

Note: All EBC have one common problem. The electronic devices requires response time. In order to compensate the response time, the manufacturer have save a few program like gaining, feedback and etc. Also, some fancy features like scrambling and etc when it detects sudden boost drop, assuming that the driver is changing gear...

One thing good about EBC is the features where it allows the turbo to continue boosting while gearshift and also, the scramble switch to reduce wheel spin at low gear. Boost lower when low gear, and boost higher at higher gear.

I'd say, the money is spent for the program and the hardware like solenoids and displays. Just IMHO.
i use tulang ikan oni :D

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

it controls the amount of boost you want for your turbo. and it is more accurate than stock actuator / mechanical boost controller. advance boost controller let you map a few boost point to compensate turbo lag/launching the car:
eg:
3000rpm - 0.6bar
4000rpm - 0.8bar
5000rpm - 1bar
6000rpm - 1.2bar
etc.......

thats about it :)

wolverine77

Known Member
Jun 25, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
For me, I am happy with my HKS EVC 6 on my Evo2 engine.

The best thing about it is that you can set the boost according to RPM or Speed (either one only).

You just need to set how many Kpa or Psi and no guessing game.

You can actually feel it is learning your boost curve from the first setup and you will reach max boost faster over time.

If you overboost, you can set it to go down to the stock boost level or just drop it according to your preference (e.g. just drop it 0.1 bar rather than all the way down to stock boost).

You can set the solenoid sensitivity higher if required.

Cheers.

goo_61t

500 RPM
Nov 13, 2007

bro u might want to retune ur boost gain, if ur tial open sooner means boost response slower :)
we want the wastegate to open until the last minute of the preset boost and to hold the boost constant all the way to redline,that's why we use the electronic boost controller :), if want to open wastegate sooner then use the manual boost tee pun dh cukup..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/769/depankiri4p21cj4.jpg

anyone can help me on how to solve/ fixed this problem??? (click the link to see full size)... actually i'm driving kelisa, my car less than 1 year (WPR XXXX), never got accident or langgar lubang besar or whatsoever that can make this thing happen...already refer with P2 SC, they said fender & front bumper lari (passenger side/ left side), so then after they adjust the fender, still same... besides, my tyre also makan...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience