Wastegate Explained.

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
Mehai.... 4 feet long... More than 1 meter... =.="
Restrict lan dou... Get the intake ramp bigger also ok lo..
Exhaust Get around 2.5-2.7 inch. Good enough. 3in is a little too big.
bro..the exhaust i'm using 2.5" straight flow..i think is no problem...
Just the piping from turbocharger to Air Filter...yala..about 1 meter long..><":rolleyes:
that why I'm using 2" only... so in your advice..need to change to 2.5" ???
the intercooler piping to throttle body also 2" nia... change to 2.5" size also ?:biggrin:
damn sien ler...when open hood...see the piping...not syok ad...
If all change to 2.5"... I will call that mechanic kao tim for me the piping..

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
bro..the exhaust i'm using 2.5" straight flow..i think is no problem...
Just the piping from turbocharger to Air Filter...yala..about 1 meter long..><":rolleyes:
that why I'm using 2" only... so in your advice..need to change to 2.5" ???
the intercooler piping to throttle body also 2" nia... change to 2.5" size also ?:biggrin:
damn sien ler...when open hood...see the piping...not syok ad...
If all change to 2.5"... I will call that mechanic kao tim for me the piping..
oooo.... U talking abt intercooler piping izzit?? I thought u say wad... Can... Turbo--> intercooler 2". Intercooler to throttlebody 2" then extend to 2.5". If ur tb 2", then reduce back to 2". If u can find 2.5" throttlebody, lagi best. But make sure the inlet of ur intake manifold also port to the piping size. Intake ramp, since too long, Mae put bigger then reduce back to the compressor trim size.

consumtion wise?
u mean?
carburator tunning is done by injecting more/less fuel accordingly. No point to point setting. So, when u increase the fuel level, it will increase the entire fuel level including idling... So idling will be a little rich...

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
oooo.... U talking abt intercooler piping izzit?? I thought u say wad... Can... Turbo--> intercooler 2". Intercooler to throttlebody 2" then extend to 2.5". If ur tb 2", then reduce back to 2". If u can find 2.5" throttlebody, lagi best. But make sure the inlet of ur intake manifold also port to the piping size. Intake ramp, since too long, Mae put bigger then reduce back to the compressor trim size.
Taiko ~
My detail..:biggrin:
My turbo --> Air filter is = 2" only... :( Distance 1 meter long the piping) stay 2 " ok ?
Turbo--> intercooler piping = 2"
Intercooler piping -->Throttle Body = 2" ... (Actually my throttle body is 3" inlet)
The piping from intercooler to throttle body feel like 2"-->3"(T.Body)

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
U suka la... Just remember 2 things.

Oversized ic + piping provide better cooling but also increases the volume of the compression line. Too big will cause lag...

Undersize piping will improve the response, but too less volume will not be able to supple sufficient compressed air on the high end... So, balance between 2 is important...

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
ok ! thanks ! taiko !! :)
understand now.. I bring to those turbo mechanic..they will know what to do :)

wasteg4te

Known Member
Sep 22, 2005
jb
on behalf...
my friend running sr20det FF stock condition in bluebird
now already 7years
the problem is boost drop when reach 0.8bar (maximum boost)
mechanic told that the actuator kong
so the better solution is to install external wastegate
he suggest AVS wastegate 38mm and 0.5bar.

the question is..
is it AVS wastegate ok?
what mean by 0.5bar? maximum boost or lower boost?
if he install that wastegate, the boost cannot reach more than 0.5bar?
the wategate can suit with engine? (turbo standard, err t24 i guess)

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
on behalf...
now already 7years

the question is..
is it AVS wastegate ok?
I having the problem too... The boost drop to 0.4 bar when reach 0.6bar which is 4k rpm.....
I think the actuator kong liao..
Yup... I suggest get a external wastegate with 0.5bar too.....
After install... you will boost only 0.5bar...
If next time wanna up boost get a boost controller...
Turbo standard is T28 ...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
on behalf...
now already 7years

the question is..
is it AVS wastegate ok?
External wastegate actuation system is similar to the internal wastegate. But it's located outside the turbo. That's all. Can throw away ur actuator.

It's not maximum or minimum boost of the wastegate. It's the boost level controlled by the spring inside the wastegate. So, if u wanna increase the boost level, u can change the spring to a higher rated spring. Or u can add on boost controller to increase the boost.

AVS is ok. Consider one of the best among the non branded. Now US also selling ed..

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
External wastegate actuation system is similar to the internal wastegate. But it's located outside the turbo. That's all. Can throw away ur actuator.

It's not maximum or minimum boost of the wastegate. It's the boost level controlled by the spring inside the wastegate. So, if u wanna increase the boost level, u can change the spring to a higher rated spring. Or u can add on boost controller to increase the boost.

AVS is ok. Consider one of the best among the non branded. Now US also selling ed..
Please enlighten me a bit more. Say I installed external wastegate with spring rated 0.5 bar. Then I install a boost controller. If I want to boost higher say 0.7 bar, can I achieve the 0.7 bar by just setting through the boost controller? since the external wastegate will bypass the exaust gas when ever the pressure reach 0.5 bar. How the boost controller actually manage to increase the bar inside the comb chamber?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Please enlighten me a bit more. Say I installed external wastegate with spring rated 0.5 bar. Then I install a boost controller. If I want to boost higher say 0.7 bar, can I achieve the 0.7 bar by just setting through the boost controller? since the external wastegate will bypass the exaust gas when ever the pressure reach 0.5 bar. How the boost controller actually manage to increase the bar inside the comb chamber?
It functions like this... An external/internal wastegate also react the same way. However, the external wastegate are more robust/durable/stable because the valve opens directly without any actuation rod inthe middle that may bend/deform due to the pull and push of the spring and diaphram.

When exhaust begin to spool the turbine, and turbine spins the compresor via the shaft.Air within the intercooler piping begin to pressurized. At this moment, the exhaust trying to push the wastegate open. But the spring counter the exhaust force. when the compressed line boost up to a preset level(according to the spring) The air pressure is sufficient enough to counter the spring pushes the valve in the wastegate to open and release the excess exhaust to the environment, then the boost maintain cause it keep moving up and down to maintain the boost.

Say when U have a 0.5bar spring, and u are boosting at 0.5 bar. And u install a boost controller on the hose connected from the intercooler piping to wastegate. What a boost controller does is to bleed out some air from the hose to reduce the pressure at the other end.

In other words, u need to boost higher to counter the 0.5bar spring due to the leakage u've applied on the boost controller.

P0 = Spring rate
P1 = Intercooler piping pressure/hose before controller
P2 = Presure after controller
P3 = Bleed out pressure

Ideally, P0 = P1

Increase boost.
P1 = P2 + P3

P3 < P0

So, u need to increase the Boost pressure of P1 in order to achieve P3 = P0

Un..?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guyz...need some help over here. I'm driving a 4G15 carb. Need to do CAI but no idea wat material should i use and how to tarik the hose to the front bumper since there is a wall of besi located behind our bumper. I try to look at it but couldnt find a hole for the hose to pass through. N do anyone noe where i can buy CAI hose?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience