Suspension recommendation for AE111?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear AE111 sifus,

I want to ask around for recommendation for a good brand/model of suspension for AE111. Budget around 1.8k so I'll be looking at GAB, Tein, recon TRD or recon cusco. Buddy Club those type is out of budget.

Any good recommendation and what are the difference between those brands? Reliability, comfort, performance, service and replacement availability?
I'm looking for adjustable & serviceable shocks by the way. Not single use ones.

Thank you a lot!

Last edited:

ahaw

Known Member
Apr 1, 2007
cheapest servicing by d manufacturer is hwl. gab malaysia n japan diff price altogether but not much. (all depend on condition)

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
if you are looking for adjustable for 1.8k budget...most probably you will get either soft/hard or high/low only...with the current pricing...save up a few hundred buck more...and you'll get both high/low soft/hard...it also boils down to brand , adjust ability and availability...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
cheapest servicing by d manufacturer is hwl. gab malaysia n japan diff price altogether but not much. (all depend on condition)
GAB got from japan meh? I thought it is malaysian brand.

if you are looking for adjustable for 1.8k budget...most probably you will get either soft/hard or high/low only...with the current pricing...save up a few hundred buck more...and you'll get both high/low soft/hard...it also boils down to brand , adjust ability and availability...
Okay thanks for the info. Since like that, maybe I will listen to your advice first. Maybe I use backOEM first. Save it up, then one shot get good one. I got a question though. Are all these aftermarket adjustable absorber serviceable and reusable? Because I want to get reusable ones also.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
GAB japan closed shop loooooooooooooooooooooooonnnggg time already...

the licensing and branding has been taken over by RS One.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I see... Anyways, I've checked out the local brand, HWL website. Their pricing seems quite good. How is the quality?

SO for around 2k, any good recommendation? REliable, comfortable and good performance.
HWL, GAB, Tein? Any opinion on Tanabe Sustec?

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
Looking from ur first posting, i don't think Tein is cheaper than buddyclub. Correct me if i'm wrong

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
from what i heard regarding serviceable/reuseable dampers...some brand will cost a little bit higher than the other...i'm running on cusco...but on the dampers "KYB" is stamp on...so part maybe can interchange with KYB abs...tein of course la everybody knew can service overhauls and rebuilt...and then there is the one that for me fall in "grey area" category...for example buddy club (quite famous brand but hardly came across one)...on the spec sheet these suspension is on par or even better from the commonly available suspension...but when you doing maintenance job on this...it might be costly...since parts is hard to get...

on the other note...HWL seems good all rounder...never heard anything bad about them...and since its local...parts and maintenance job should not be an issue...but never experience one before though...

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Veloc,

I used HWL on my waja (hi/low only)...
For me its considered OK in terms of reliability & performance (I feel little bit hard)
You have to choose the spring rates when you bought them.
They will asked you the purpose of the suspension (track, daily etc then choose)
The price are reasonable for me.

Servicing suspension center/shop in KK? You have to think twice.
When you buy TEIN, HKS, Tanabe etc... where to service? only in Peninsular.
Cost of shipping + servicing might end up close to new unit.
Buying 2nd hand unit always depends how lucky you are...

Local brand maybe good + the servicing parts not so high like the brand above.
Some in KK they just buy new unit when the existing kaput.
For low budget person like me always think many time...

Choosing suspension are the hardest decision for me.
Had a bad choice before & now still figuring what to suit on my other ride.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Veloc,

I used HWL on my waja (hi/low only)...
For me its considered OK in terms of reliability & performance (I feel little bit hard)
You have to choose the spring rates when you bought them.
They will asked you the purpose of the suspension (track, daily etc then choose)
The price are reasonable for me.

Servicing suspension center/shop in KK? You have to think twice.
When you buy TEIN, HKS, Tanabe etc... where to service? only in Peninsular.
Cost of shipping + servicing might end up close to new unit.
Buying 2nd hand unit always depends how lucky you are...

Local brand maybe good + the servicing parts not so high like the brand above.
Some in KK they just buy new unit when the existing kaput.
For low budget person like me always think many time...

Choosing suspension are the hardest decision for me.
Had a bad choice before & now still figuring what to suit on my other ride.
Oh I'm looking for Hi-Lo and Soft-Hard. Thanks for your testimony on the HWL man... You got waja meh? Never see...

You low budget person :biggrin:?

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Veloc,

The waja in KL...
Waaa...don't say like that...
Low & reasonable budget is my thing.
That's the reason my ride still stock...
Upgrading = More expenses...

I drove using HWL from KL - Kuala Terengganu - KL.
With family & babies...
they said ok & sleep well, even little bit hard I assume.
Almost 2 years I assume... no problem still.

For me try & error (in suspension)are for people who having high budget.
The adjustable coilover (any brands) also good but you need to setup accordingly.
Setting-up adjustable sometime taking time to suit you requirement.
How low to adjust, How soft/hard should be the good setting...
For me as a non-racer type for time being... this thing too much to be consider.
Even though still looking what suspension to buy...

Decision... Decision... Decision... :hmmmm:

The surface in our place have to take into consideration.
Too hard will end up bouncing (Sakit badan) & make your accessories rattle in long run.
Unless for racing/competition then different story...

Have to be patient & time to "look & see" for us if budget to put in account.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
That's true man... That's why... Still considering... And the roads in our area is shit really. I am looking more on the performance street settings. Stiffer than stock and lower but not racing hard. That's not practical also. And I don't want my car to kaput because of the hard setting. Not just accessories. I think some bushes will wear off faster.

autocrosser

Known Member
Aug 13, 2006
I used to have GAB hi-low. Bought brand spanking new several years ago. I only used it in city area. Sure, roads here ain't that good but city roads ain't that bad. Guess what? Not more than 30k kms later, it bottomed out like crazy. It still feels stiff and stable on good roads. I changed to stock struts and problem solved. It was more than $2K back then. The stockist's attitude also suck. Overall, i am disappointed with the whole deal as the reason i wanted to go that route was to have struts that was durable.
I think in Pensinsula, things would be better as RS One is there to help.
Just thought i would put this out there.

IketaniX

Known Member
Dec 8, 2008
JB
just sharing,
i‘m using RSR spring + GAB sport absorber for my 111,
feels ok n nt too low,
but it feels bumpy once hitting 100km/h on uneven road (Jalan Kempas@JB)...
in my case i busted mine before the warranty ends (6 months),
so i'm nw using the 2nd sets...
when i wan claim new sets due to leaking,
no rubbish at all n they jus change for me within 1 week (n post back to JB),
which is quite good for tis...
quality i cant judge as there are ppl using without issues,
some say is my bad luck...

ahaw

Known Member
Apr 1, 2007
GAB got from japan meh? I thought it is malaysian brand.
@ veloc : of course new all licensed by rs one. OLD gab only from japan

hwl servicing for example (kelisa - front/ rear rm480 last 2 weeks jan 2012, oem factory in sg buloh),
gab servicing quotation by rs one - gab japan (half cut, no more new stuff) rm 25+.++ per damper means times 4, depend on cndtn.
but in hwl factory upon consult with office girl they give cheaper price for gab m'sia. and a bit pricey rm285.++ per damper for gab japan depend on cndtn.

for other brand no experience.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anybody tried buying china oxygen sensor before? Anyone bought before and is it ok?

I tried to find new oxygen sensor for my car, its a nissan primera P12 engine. The sensor connector is light blue color, with 3 wires. Couldnt find original or branded oem sensor. All i can find is china brand or no brand oxygen sensor from china..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience