questions of buying RD1

super_white

Oct 5, 2006
Dude....

I have found one 1.8 hyundai coupe RD1,1997,mileage 98,000++ (manual),black at one of the second car dealer in PG, the price is stated RM35.8K. I have few questions as below, which need all tai ko to help me:
1)The engine was very quite, izzit a good sign?How do i check whether the car have oil leaking or not?
2) the air filter was change to K&N mushroom filter, should i request the original air filter? I worry that the air intake filter will suck in the heat air from generated by engine.
3) The left handside bottom door panel was break little bit, the plastic was break.....anyway to fix it? the sales agent telling me that he can repack the panel, will this solve the problem? Izzit possible for me to get new door panel? izzit expensive?
4)The rear screen has some blur blur yellowish, the area was 23cmX6cm, the sales agent told me that, just remove the screen tinted sticker and the yellowish will removed.
5)when i test drive the car, when i try to test the pick up, the power was not up to my expectation, currently i was driving wira 1.5 mannual,89hp, i was expect hyundai coupe with 130hp will give me some surprise ...but......izzit the car have some problem?
6)The absorber have some weird sound....can i the repair shop fix it or i need to change a new one? wat is the price?
7)When i switch the gear, i feel that the gear was loose, izzit normal?
8) the handbrake is loose too......
9) Should i ask for the certificate of puspakom?
would appreciated if you have help me to answer above questions........TT on me....if you travel to penang lah...

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Super_white,
Well well...here you are. Welcome to the club. I think you already answer some of your question yourself. The best is take it to puspakom and find out any parts that need to replace so that you could get better price from the sales person. Anyway you already getting a good price.

1. Engine is consider in good condition when it is quite during idling but then again you have to change engine oil to determine that again as one can put in a thicker engine oil to make the engine quiter.

2. Try to get back the ori air intake hose for the car as you don't have to use exposed type air filter on coupe. some DIY already can yield very good result combined with drop in performance filter. Blacksamurai has some of my mods picture maybe he can show it to you. BS, could you pls help.

3. If you are refering to the interior door panel then a minor repair to patch it up will do. the reason it crack because the whole thing is made or harder plastic material. people tends to use their leg to push the door open or stop the door from closing. The door is heavy and long term it crack the panel.

4. if it is a tint then remove will solve the problem. But becareful of the heating wire.

5. It might because of the thicker oil they use and also prolong period the car haven't being service and retuned.

6. usually at this mileage the rear absorber need to change together with the "dog bone". If budget allow then the strut bar rubber mount can consider to change it as well.

7. This a bit hard to answer until one can actually feel it. But the gear level should be a bit loose but not too much.

8. What kind of looseness you are refering to?

9. I will say go for it if you have extra budget and time.

Hope this will lighten you up. :_:

super_white said:
Dude....

I have found one 1.8 hyundai coupe RD1,1997,mileage 98,000++ (manual),black at one of the second car dealer in PG, the price is stated RM35.8K. I have few questions as below, which need all tai ko to help me:
1)The engine was very quite, izzit a good sign?How do i check whether the car have oil leaking or not?
2) the air filter was change to K&N mushroom filter, should i request the original air filter? I worry that the air intake filter will suck in the heat air from generated by engine.
3) The left handside bottom door panel was break little bit, the plastic was break.....anyway to fix it? the sales agent telling me that he can repack the panel, will this solve the problem? Izzit possible for me to get new door panel? izzit expensive?
4)The rear screen has some blur blur yellowish, the area was 23cmX6cm, the sales agent told me that, just remove the screen tinted sticker and the yellowish will removed.
5)when i test drive the car, when i try to test the pick up, the power was not up to my expectation, currently i was driving wira 1.5 mannual,89hp, i was expect hyundai coupe with 130hp will give me some surprise ...but......izzit the car have some problem?
6)The absorber have some weird sound....can i the repair shop fix it or i need to change a new one? wat is the price?
7)When i switch the gear, i feel that the gear was loose, izzit normal?
8) the handbrake is loose too......
9) Should i ask for the certificate of puspakom?
would appreciated if you have help me to answer above questions........TT on me....if you travel to penang lah...

super_white

Oct 5, 2006
if i plan to change the rear absorber, "dog bone" and strut bar rubber mount at the SP workshop that u recommend, how much do i need to prepare?

the handbrake sound like "tak,tak,tak"...many sound until it reach to last "tak"..

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
i did most of my service, mod and tune at my friends shop in SP. If you can also bring your own spare parts if you wish. Price at my friend shop is reasonable and claim process is good.

The handbrake sound you describe means end of brake life. Brake pad and shoe is cheap, so don't worry about it. that is unless you are eyeing for performance pad. :)

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
super_white, 1997 but 98,000 KM, they might have change the mileage meter. Else you are damn lucky. :biggrin:

3) Hyundai doesn't sell the door panel along. The door come in a set.
4) sound like typical V-kool gold dust problem. yes, removing it will solve the problem, but again, like what Ace mention, careful about the rear windscreen heating wire.

5) Wira may have a better pickup due to lighter chassis.

7) My gear switching is still tide, but it's down to individual feeling, i can't tell unless i try on it.

8) for my handbrake, i usually stop at 3-4 "tak", but need to confirm that back.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
8) My handbrake maximum only 3 "tak" sounds. Flat road, one "tak" sound is enough to hold the car static.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
super_white & BS,
Both pick up and mid speed should be much much faster then wira no matter of the lighter chassis. I knew this because my uncle is driving a wira manual also and I used to drive it as well. Its probably out of tune, prolonged service and heavy engine oil.

Anyway, after changing my rear brake shoe. 3 "tak" is already very tight.

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ace said:
super_white & BS,
Both pick up and mid speed should be much much faster then wira no matter of the lighter chassis. I knew this because my uncle is driving a wira manual also and I used to drive it as well. Its probably out of tune, prolonged service and heavy engine oil.

Anyway, after changing my rear brake shoe. 3 "tak" is already very tight.
Ace, mine 3 "tak" also very tight too. I think if I try to do the 4th "tak", I will gonna "cabut" the whole handbrake out...........hehehehehe............:angel_smile:

Last edited:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Daniel,
don't lah torture your coupe. :)

Anyway, the level can be adjusted accordingly as long as the brake shoe still function. There is a little small screw that you can tighten it further.

super_white

Oct 5, 2006
this saturday gonna look for the another RD1 near greenlane....hopefully that car is better......

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ace said:
Daniel,
don't lah torture your coupe. :)

Anyway, the level can be adjusted accordingly as long as the brake shoe still function. There is a little small screw that you can tighten it further.
Ace, don't worry. I sayang my coupe. Max 3 "tak" cannot go further already.:_:

super_white

Oct 5, 2006
BlackSamurai said:
looks like quite a number of RD1 at Penang...
but dun have hyundai coupe club at penang, wanna had the Penang hyundai club TT also difficult...:emoticon_U:

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
super_white said:
but dun have hyundai coupe club at penang, wanna had the Penang hyundai club TT also difficult...:emoticon_U:
Maybe Ace can do something about that. He is our Hyundai Coupe Club Penang section "tai lo"............:_:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Super_white,
You are welcome to give me a call. Let me know if you need any advise. BTW, I'm staying in Butterworth. Autocity is the best place to meet up.:_:

Daniel,
Woi..I'm here to exchange exprience only leh. Dare not hold up the badge of "tai lo" yet.:_:

Rgds,
Ace

Daniel Lee said:
Maybe Ace can do something about that. He is our Hyundai Coupe Club Penang section "tai lo"............:_:

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ace said:
Daniel,
Woi..I'm here to exchange exprience only leh. Dare not hold up the badge of "tai lo" yet.:_:

Rgds,
Ace
Ace, I know you're capable of doing so.
Let's hail the new Northern Coupe "tai lo"!!!
"Long live Ace!!!"
"Long live Northern Coupe "tai lo"!!!"
"Long live the Hyundai Coupe Club!!!"
........hahahahahahhahaha.........:shades_smile: :_: :shades_smile:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
woi...don't say lah until like that, next time dare not (too shy) to meet all of you leh...

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Hahahahaha..........
Ace, when are you coming to KL?
Never meet you before!
Come to KL and join TT la!

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
I will definately join you all once I'm in KL. Its just that I'm busy with my work project.

super_white

Oct 5, 2006
Ace busy with hyundai coupe project ah? wanna become the fastest hyundai coupe in M'sia? kekekeke

I have visited another 2nd hand car shop at the pg, the hyundai coupe was purple in color, 1.8M 1997 selling RM33K, with spoiler actuator but not my taste....i like GT-wing....kekekeke
the interior is really look good, but the engine sound "kit kit kit" when started. mileage was 190,XXXkm .......

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
super_white,
Is the sound came after the engine warm up hot? Because its normal when the engine is cold with a little bit of "tik tik tik" sound. After the engine is hot its gone. Also, what do you mean by actuator spoiler (original spoiler?)

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ace, you haven't answer super_white question about the fastest Hyundai Coupe project in Malaysia...........hehehehehehehe..................

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Daniel,
That one joking only nia.. to be fastest..unless I running NOS with 100HP nozzle and then kaboom!...

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
Ace, I know you're in the run now for a tank of NOS in your boot.......hehehehe........

super_white

Oct 5, 2006
Ace said:
super_white,
Is the sound came after the engine warm up hot? Because its normal when the engine is cold with a little bit of "tik tik tik" sound. After the engine is hot its gone. Also, what do you mean by actuator spoiler (original spoiler?)
Nope, the sound is generated from the left hand side of the engine, the "fly wheel" roller and the rubber belt....i'm not sure lah...:X-:

i'm not sure whether is ori or not...:emoticon_U: