k-series vs b-series

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
i'm still confused which engine is suitable for drag race. Of course many people will agree that k20a will be ideal for drag because due to improved generation compared to b series but it doesn't turn out that way. Referring to a scenario recently whereby dc loo's ek equipped with a k20a vs mie avantech b18c in drag. Mie ek b18c seems to be leaving dcloo's ek k20a far apart in 300meters. Will it be k20 is not suitable for drag or because of the setup. I'm truly amused with suhaimi's ek b18c..anyway a thumbs up for suhaimi. good job suhaimi.
Ok , ori topic was about the debate on whether the B or the k series would be a better choice for drag racing . To me both have the best potential for drag races (NA only). But if i were to choose only one particular engine for drag race, B-series would be the perfect choice . Why? B series have been around for almost 2 decades already. All performance enchancement/improvement on the engine have been done to the maximum already. Race parts for engine performance r abundance compared to the K-series and much more cheaper also.

Moreover, during the time when the B-series was born, the emission ruling on major part of the world ie: USA, Japan, Europe, etc were not so strict, hence the honda manufacturer were able to bump up the horses and torque without much of a fuss. But when the K-s was born, it was during the time of high emmission control, greener world and better fuel mileage for engines.

That is why u would notice currently alot of new vehicle produces smaller bhp and torque as compared to the 90's with the exception of the civic type r or the DC5s (the real thing lah!). The manufacturers now r beginning to lean towards a greener engine which consume less fuel .:driver:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
[add to SB3]
and make less power... :P

But K has is advantages.. I like the roller cam design, and the ability to mate to a six speed gearbox.

I just don't like.. the price... and the fact that compared to the B-series.. oil pump kicik.... (O_o)

Last edited:

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
[add to SB3]
and make less power... :P

But K has is advantages.. I like the roller cam design, and the ability to mate to a six speed gearbox.

I just don't like.. the price... and the fact that compared to the B-series.. oil pump kicik.... (O_o)
The K-series also have 2 designs ie one has the 3cam lobes/valve design which is similiar to the b-series whereby the bigger lobe in the middle will giva a kicka** power and vtec howl.(This will make our adrenalin pumping i guess). The other type design would have only 2 cam lobe per valve. I can't remember how it works but its suppose to give the engine a better fuel mileage, a more thorough combustion which would meet the strict emission control in certain countries. This latter design would produce lesser horses hence less high end power. I think its currently installed in the normal FD 2.0 civic. correct me if i am wrg. There r no obvious difference in the outlook of the engine (except for the sticker and the colour) but they have slightly different engine code. Anyone can remember the engine code difference? coz i cant remember hehehe...

:confused::confused::wavey:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The K-series also have 2 designs ie one has the 3cam lobes/valve design which is similiar to the b-series whereby the bigger lobe in the middle will giva a kicka** power and vtec howl.(This will make our adrenalin pumping i guess). The other type design would have only 2 cam lobe per valve. I can't remember how it works but its suppose to give the engine a better fuel mileage, a more thorough combustion which would meet the strict emission control in certain countries. This latter design would produce lesser horses hence less high end power. I think its currently installed in the normal FD 2.0 civic. correct me if i am wrg. There r no obvious difference in the outlook of the engine (except for the sticker and the colour) but they have slightly different engine code. Anyone can remember the engine code difference? coz i cant remember hehehe...

:confused::confused::wavey:
Not too sure, but I think you're referring to the version in the K20A3, which is the 'crippled VTEC'
I don't think it's numbered that way locally though.

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Not too sure, but I think you're referring to the version in the K20A3, which is the 'crippled VTEC'
I don't think it's numbered that way locally though.
Yes! thats the code for the weaker VTEC family. K20A2 should be the' more powerful 'sibling correct?

Oh u mean our local civic (FD) engine code is entirely different?:driver:

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
fuhh..u put ubat gegat dlm petrol tank??
have u tried on ur car yet dat petua??:rofl:
Wah!! pu ubat gegat dlm petrol tank?never try be4...can test to my c70...kekeke:hmmmm::hmmmm::rofl::rofl::rofl:
hvnt tried on the dohc vtec,...

indeed...really enjoyed to keep follow on tis such a conversations,gotta useful knowledge at least,...soo,kindly pls get back to the paerticular topic we discuss about instead of....,thx btw:adore:
boring,...

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007
This kinda jokes kills me hehe. Go make a thread for jokes.. As suduRed said, we need to go back on topic. I hope moderators could clean up this topic and keep the nice jokes only :rofl:
clean up topic?
might as well clean up the tech talk, change the title,... keep the vios-ians laughing and moaning,..

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
clean up topic?
might as well clean up the tech talk, change the title,... keep the vios-ians laughing and moaning,..
You can do that?! I'll leave that job to you then smart ass :rofl:

fobs

3,000 RPM
Apr 6, 2007

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Ok back to vios again, i hate to say it but there is one advantage of the vios (hey dont start throwing rotten eggs , ok?) . Toyota still produce manual transmission model but not the honda citys. :driver: Any comments?:itsme:

albani

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2005
Penang
ekdivision.17.forumer.com
b-series jokes la..or d-series oso can, bigger size maa:biggrin:...

now in the time of economic recession, kenot all the time being seriousn sticking to the topic...else too much pressure then later jump-off building:stupid:...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Pardon me admin for my double post, this is rather urgent.
---------------------------------------------

Dear fellow forumers,

I'm currently located around Chinatown area, KL

Need some of the sifu's help here.

Can anyone recommend a good and reputable place to repair/service may Honda jazz aircon?
I think the compressor has konked up, I'm not quite familiar with workshops around this area.

My guess is I might need a recon compressor or somebody who can repair the magnetic...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience