k-series vs b-series

EvolusiDriftKL

Apr 7, 2008
i'm still confused which engine is suitable for drag race. Of course many people will agree that k20a will be ideal for drag because due to improved generation compared to b series but it doesn't turn out that way. Referring to a scenario recently whereby dc loo's ek equipped with a k20a vs mie avantech b18c in drag. Mie ek b18c seems to be leaving dcloo's ek k20a far apart in 300meters. Will it be k20 is not suitable for drag or because of the setup. I'm truly amused with suhaimi's ek b18c..anyway a thumbs up for suhaimi. good job suhaimi.

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp
mie, someone 'petik' u now, fast fast answer back wanna know the result

Din_Kg_subang

Mar 31, 2008
yalah.... i saw with my own eye dcloo kena tapau by mie. shameful onli k20a. i relli suprise k20 kena tinggal very far. what happen atually?

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn
Din kg subang... when u saw they drag?? dcloo k20a is stock or modify? Mie one is wat modify spec?? sure hardly mod lol...

Last edited:

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
loo's K still having problem with traction... he need to find a proper gearing...
imagine that 250atw with re01r only... i already told him to use MT but he refuse.. :biggrin:

tecque, that k20 is not stock... ask loo for the spec... if i tell here then loo will shoot me... :biggrin:
that ek with 16b stroke 1.8 and jun3.. no pnp, balancing etc... running at 196atw only...

tecque

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2005
sbn
mie.. the k20 hav 250whp?auto? wat MT? manual trans? shouldnt lose bcos of using re01r izit? mus be somethin in ur b18 la...hehe.. i want to hav ur 196whp too:adore: Show me how....

Last edited:

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
If the ek with k20a were on re01 tyres, must be hard to get traction with the amount of torque it produces. I'm more interested to know whether the ek with B18c were on slicks or not.... if its on same tyres, must be one heck of a modification being done to the engine and trans to be on par with the K20 ek.

In for reasonings...

Din_Kg_subang

Mar 31, 2008
not worry. this is normal exkuse when people lost. didn't boost la, tyre not slik, no traction, clutch already botak la, miss gear. that why when car lost in drag straight away you can hear this exkuse one.. if you know your car got problem, why you didn't fix first and play? or why didn't solve problem first? correct or not what i say?

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
no matter how much power you produce, it's no use if you cant out down that power to the road.

good rubber should do the trick.

to compete, it needs to be on a level playing ground, bukan main taram je.

ni nak lawan, not on a level playing ground, memang xadil lah.

org x skolah pun boleh pikir.

a properly tuned and setup k20a will whack the shit out of a similarly setup B18b.

it doesnt matter how much power you make, gearing plays an important role as well.

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Ok OK lah... we go back to reality. There's too many variables to why a person would lose in a drag race. Period~

To really answer your question, the K-series has no reason to be not suitable for drag. The best thing is to know whats the setup in both cars and compare. As bien335 quoted, gearing plays an important role in the quarter mile, not only that, suspension and traction issue.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
It seems like most people thinks that the more powerful the car, the easier it is to launch.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but when talking about more than 200hp, I find that commonly, the launch would more often be.

Launch at various RPMs, then find the wheel slipping, let off throttle and/or half-clutch. Tires find traction, RPM drops, engine bogs, and well, you lose all the rythm for the next shift, and if the speed difference is too much, simply can't catch up, even if can only close the gap.

Of course, that's because I'm very BAD at launching, so my opinion obviously doesn't count. Ha ha ha.

But for purposes of drag racing, I'm in the opinion that a K20A is not very suitable due to the fact that most NA FWD drag cars has been traditionally high rpm small displacement machines, rather than cars with good low end torque but with poor middle to top end torque(i.e. B20 stock stroker)

Even the turbo's realise this and utilize a two step for launching purposes..

But since the K20 supposedly solves this problem, it should be suitable, isn't it?

but (based on reading Hytech's overview of the K20A oiling system)

Due to the main issue of it's small oil pump, at high rpm past 8600, it cavitates and oil pressure drops. Since the VTEC is primarily oil fed, I leave that to the imagination of the forummers.

But then again, there's the availability of the dry sump oiling system, which is used for most professional drag machines (close to 2G means the oil will really stick to the rear walls of the oil sump rather than close to the oil pump pickup)

That could possibly solve the problem and make K20A a viable contender in the high rpm drag events.

I still haven't looked at the innards of the K20 yet, except for the head, so I can only SPECULATE at the moment.

But if talking about track cars, the K20A-R is king.

And I also agree that gearing plays a part, because gearing plays with how wide or narrow the powerband needs to be, so have to select those that fit the powerband to be used.

Then there's the length of the track as well. Imagine almost to the finish line in third, and suddenly you hit the rev limiter and had to release the throttle and watch as the guy without the rev-cut zoom by at the risk of blowing his engine. :P

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone can help me out here..i need the manual for blitz meter SJ model...i dont have the manual so cannot set the 180kmh cut off..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience